Houston Set to Take on USF (W 63-40)

Did what we had to do.

Do not like 7 days off between games.

There were some real bright spots today…White and the defense.

Sloppy game for the Coogs but we get the win. Cindy is going to be tough at home. I am hoping for a win but I think that us getting dominated would not be so bad bc our players seem to really respond in game 2 after a bad loss. Where a close loss might not help as much.

CKS after the game:

• loved our defensive intensity
  • spent week off getting people spun up on defense
  • Harris and Fabian have no idea how to defend pick and roll
  • little things on defense helped us play well
  • basketball games aren’t beauty contests. They don’t put a 2 or an 8 after the W.
  • Armoni was 0-8, need to get him going
  • good to see Wes hit a couple of shots
  • Corey is a great shooter
  • not upset at shots, they just didn’t go in. Not much you can do about that.
  • hang our hat on defense and rebounding, succeeded today on both fronts
  • Elvin and CKS rib Jeremy about not knowing what a blind pig is (back cut)
3 Likes

Fabian White after the game:

• Just played harder than the opponent…what CKS preaches
  • Playing hard=double double so must have played hard
  • credit the coaches on working with him and helping to get better
  • Elvin mentions that the turning point was his steal and the dunk. Says he tries to bring energy.
  • Jeremy asks him what a blind pig is, Fabian says no.
  • Expects Cincy to be tough. Need to bring defense and rebounding to win.
1 Like

Fabian White has caught up to the elevated pace and play of D1 BB. He is gonna be a scary frosh by tourney time.

3 Likes

And yet reserved seating was somehow sold out. Confusing.

It seems like we should be able to get some students over there for weekend games.

Regardless, I really liked the way the guys got after it on defense. It can be hard to play well on that side of the ball when the offense isn’t working. Rob’s shot didn’t look right, but he did a good job rebounding and distributing the ball.

Our defense against their free throws was exceptional. :grinning:

1 Like

I hope that no one minds if I ask, but are there any rumors as to why Rob Gray seems to have become a bit inconsistent? Great game one night, and then two points today?

That said, it’s great that we have enough depth to still win by more than twenty!

Van Buckets having issues as well.

He really looked like his mind was somewhere else today, but thankfully we had a strong enough bench to overcome poor performances by Brooks and Rob. Rob did grab a few rebounds and got some assists…just wasn’t himself on the offensive end. Corey and White were outstanding today.
I agree with '72, White resembles Dwight Davis so much, but has a bigger build and has a much better offensive game at this point in his early career. Of course, I haven’t seen many who could get off the ground as quick as DD could to block shots…
White still has a lot to learn, especially on defense, but the kid is loaded with game and could well be a star before he leaves UH to go to the next level…

Totally agree !

Kelvin said Friday that Fabian would be a "national " player in a couple of years.

BTW Butch, I was as talking to a fan the other day that Dwight was so much thicker than Fabian. I responded that he was thinking of Dwight his senior year, that Fabian is noticeably more filled-out at the same stage. Back then freshman weren’t eligible for varsity ball, in fact he only played 1 semester of freshman ball as he was a midterm HS graduate. Fabian is competing at a level that I guarantee he’ll be on the all-AAC freshman team

We are gonna need are shooters to get going again. Also we have to get something out of Brady and Devin to have a good run the rest of the way.

i dont get the comments of “poor performace” by rob this was his highest combination of rebounds and assists all season…he wasnt shooting the ball much either… if this game was closer rob would shot more shots and made more points

the end of the game was bad, but we were up 20…ill be honest i dont like the feel of this team when both corey and rob are on the bench…
its like crawling for any points
teams give no respect at all to galen…rightfully so as he isnt a real offensive threat
vanbeck is passive and can’t create his own shot… and armoni isnt good at creating his own shot off the dribble

when all 3 are on the court, its painful to watch (which happened a lot late first and late second)…it 2 spot shooters closely guarded who wont shoot it or drive to the paint, and a guard who cant draw defenders to get them open

We received our two glasses . . . . .

1 Like

Actually, I was agreeing with his comment that White is going to be a stud !

When his upper body matures where he can finish stronger, he will be a force !

CKS also said he would make a giant leap after this offseason.

I agree. More than 5 days in a break and the team goes in a funk!

Rob was only 1-7 from the floor and 0-3 from 3 point range.

Definitely not one of his better nights.

I am not ragging on Rob as he is a leader on this team. But he was not aggressive offensively yesterday and his shots simply were not falling. Teams are concentrating cutting him off to the hoop and basically giving him the shots from behind the arc.
In fairness to Rob he continued to hustle on defense and passed the ball off to his teammates, It was not one of his better performances by any stretch, but it is a good thing when others can pick the team up.
I thought Brooks was pressing some of his shots, but once again in fairness he was forced to take some long shots with a defender in his face because we let the clock run down too far.
A lot continues to be said about White and rightfully so…he is a tremendous prospect who will continue to fill out and get better on the court. He is going to be a monster before he is finished here…and that could well be after his junior year…he has that kind of talent…he is raw on defense but he has the right coach to help bring him along…

One thing I noticed is that he hasn’t been aggressive like he was his sophomore and jr year here. I remember his sophhmore year he got anything he wanted when going to the rim. This season I’m not really seeing that aggressiveness.