UP TO THE PLATE
Houston (4-7) vs. Army (5-4)
March 8-10 | Don Sanders Field at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park
G1: Live Stats | Live Stream | Live Audio
G2: Live Stats | Live Stream | Live Audio
G3: Live Stats | Live Stream | Live Audio
All-Time Series: First meeting
Complete Game Notes (PDF)
PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Friday : Houston LHP Lael Lockhart Jr. (0-2, 5.79) vs. Army LHP Tyler Giovinco (2-0, 1.42)
Saturday : Houston RHP Ryan Randel (1-1 2.51) vs. Army RHP Sam Messina (2-1, 4.09)
Sunday : TBD vs. Army RHP Daniel Burggraaf (0-0, 2.92)
• The Black Knights enter the with a 5-4 record, highlighted by Air Force, Longwood (two wins), Saint Joseph’s and Tulane.
• Batting leadoff, junior centerfield Jacob Hurtubise leads the nation in triples (3). He also leads the Patriot League in walks (11), stolen bases (7) and runs scored (15), ranking third in batting average (.387).
• Sophomore first baseman Anthony Giachin ranks third in the country in doubles (7) and seventh in RBI (16). Giachin was the 2018 Patriot League Rookie of the Year and League Championship MVP.
• Friday and Saturday starters Tyler Giovinco (2-0) and Sam Messina (2-1) co-lead the Patriot League with two wins. Both have 15 strikeouts.
• Offensively, Army leads its conference in batting average (.303), on-base percentage (.425), slugging percentage (.424), hits (90), walks (62), RBI (62), runs scored (72) and stolen bases (23). Pitching, the Black Knights hold the top mark in strikeouts (72) and earned runs allowed (30).
• The Black Knights won the Patriot League in 2018 and were picked to repeat as champions in the 2019 League Preseason Poll.
• Army is batting .303 as a team and has a 3.46 ERA, compared to opponents’ .241 average and 7.76 ERA.