Houston vs. Tulsa - Thursday at 6 pm (W 104-71)

It is very difficult (at best) to get to a game at UH by 6 p.m. from 290 and Tidwell (even 7 p.m. is a stretch). It was a little better when game was in the Hof but now that taking a shuttle adds time it’s impossible. I know that the school is accommodating what television wants, but this is a very big city with a rush hour that goes from 4:30-7 sometimes and traffic is awful (I know I’m preaching to the choir). When the game is on the tube it’s not worth the effort at times. I have a party of 3 season tickets holders (and CP members) and it’s difficult to adjust 3 schedules to make a basketball game. I hope the new AD takes this into consideration with future scheduling.

1 Like

Trust me…I get that as I gave some consideration to watching it on TV when I had been in the car for 30 mins and it said at 515pm I had another 45 mins to my friend’s house [normally a 30 min trip in total]. It was well into the first half by the time we arrived.

Maybe the students will help some on the 20th. Maybe some casual fans. It is more fun when there is a buzz. Credit to the team and staff for protecting the home floor even without strong support.

2 Likes

Maybe the students will help…Ha!

I came in from Sugar Land and had to leave at 4:15 to make it in time. 69 comes to a dead stop from Greenway Plaza to 288 every day.

The students like a winner. 13-3 with only one “bad” loss. Coogs are only 5-3 away from H&PE. Take the next two AAC road games from ECU and Tulane and Coogs would be 15-3 and 7-3 away from H&PE – much more convincing than the current 5-3. Facing a Top 5 team in WSU, 4 days should be enough time for the students to feel the buzz around campus and get up “early” for the 11 AM start. Not sure Sampson will have much time to walk around with pizzas and a bullhorn to drum up support.

You should cut across on 90A and take 610 to 288. Much less traffic.

1 Like

i work on 59 and Richmond. I took Richmond all the way down to get to elgin then go all the way down elgin to get to the stadium to ride the shuttle. I arrived at the game a little before the national anthem.

Hope you are right, but I will believe it when I see it. Sampson should not have to drum up support.

As far as I am concerned he has been doing his job !! Maybe Pezman will have some ideas to get them (the students) energized… It will be tough this year…understood, but they were no shows all of last year.

Certainly the new digs will entertain them for a while.

Saying the students like a winner rings hollow to me because we have a had a winner the last 2 years.

What they require is an undefeated, ranked number 1 team !!!

Remember that I was a student once.

That is the way I go. I take McGregor over to Cullen. Easy, virtually no traffic.

Suggest you come in on US 90.
Take the Willowbend Exit.
Turn right on Willowbend and left on Buffalo Speedway to 610 and then take 610 to 288.
Take either Old Spanish Trail or McGregor to Scott or Cullen and then to school.
Much faster at that time of day.

Agree on both points. And my post about the students is wishful thinking but hoping for the best. Same goes for the alumni. Sampson has done what he can. I wish the WSU game was a little later in the season and at 5 PM or 6 PM on a Saturday to possibly draw the max crowd.

Game starting time is and has been a problem for a few years now. It is exacerbated this year because of having to play games around TSU schedule.

Hopefully better next year, but the TV networks do not give a damn about attendees issues and never will.

It was better before all the televised games from an attendees perspective… of course, the coaches were not as well paid.

1 Like

The Hurricane was obliterated 104-71 at Houston for its largest margin of defeat since a 105-70 loss at UTEP on Jan. 8, 2005, also the last time TU surrendered that many points in regulation.

“It’s as tough a loss as I’ve been around in my whole career,” coach Frank Haith said on postgame radio. “I’ve never been part of a team that gave up 100 points. Our defense was absolutely pathetic, just very bad. I’m very disappointed.”

1 Like

“When that first shot went through, I forgot all about the other three games,” Gray said.

Gray worked tirelessly in the gym the past week and arrived three hours early for shoot-around Thursday and “probably put up 500 shots,” Sampson said.

“That’s how you get through something,” Sampson added. “You don’t talk about it. You don’t dissect it. You don’t think about it. You work through it.”

1 Like

Kelvin Sampson speaks with the media after the Houston Cougars’ 104-71 win over the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. Sampson discusses the tweaks to the offense made to get Rob Gray better scoring opportunities; the Coogs being a good team; and more

Houston Cougars senior guard Rob Gray and sophomore guard Armoni Brooks speak with the media after Gray’s 34 points helped the Coogs defeat Tulsa 104-71 Thursday evening. Brooks scored 15 points on 5 for 8 from 3.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/951967049575628800

HOUSTON (AP) – Rob Gray scored 34 points with five 3-pointers, Armoni Brooks scored 15 on five 3s, and Houston hit 18 from beyond the arc to set an American Athletic Conference record for most 3s in a regular season conference game in its 104-71 win over Tulsa on Thursday night.

Tulsa held the previous conference-high mark with 17 3-pointers against UConn on Jan. 3.

The 18 3s tied for the second most 3-pointers in Houston single-game history. The Cougars hit 18 3s against SMU on Feb. 16, 2008.

Corey Davis Jr. scored 14 points with three 3s and five assists, Wes Vanbeck and Gabe Grant added 10 points apiece and combined for five 3s for the Cougars (12-3, 2-1) who have won five of their last six.

Houston, which last topped 100 points in its 105-61 win over Prairie View on Dec. 3, 2016, also set a school conference record for the most points scored in a conference regular season game.

Gray hit three 3s and two free throws in to put Houston up 12-11, Davis hit back-to-back 3s for a 28-19 lead, and the Cougars led 59-39 at halftime after hitting four straight 3s in the final 2:35. Houston led by 40 points with 9:10 left after Gray and Brooks combined for three 3s.

Martins Igbanu scored 27 points and DaQuan Jeffriesadded 11 for Tulsa (10-7, 3-2).

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/951911333867466752

Houston hit 18 from beyond the arc to set an American Athletic Conference record for most 3s in a regular season conference game in its 104-71 win over Tulsa on Thursday night.

https://twitter.com/SHPawdcast/status/951656248507760640
https://twitter.com/SHPawdcast/status/951656733981671424

https://twitter.com/CoachSampsonUH/status/951645583890112512

3 Likes