Hunter to Arkansas-hires (Georgia OL coach) Pittman as next FB HC

I am just repeating what Hunter said when he was introduced as the Arky AD. That I agree with him is just my opinion and with no knowledge of the wording of the contract.

Did I write that an atm or uta grad would sabotage us? No I did not. You did. Don’t try to put words and twist my personal opinion. I pointed out about why advance an atm or uta grad’s career using our athletics department? How many grads from other institutions in America or abroad could be a benefit to us? atm and uta are our ach-enemies. I don’t want our athletics program to be associated with any of them.
Yeoman started his education with atm? How did atm and uta directly play into his Coaching future and U of H P5 demise? I assume that you know our history right?
I will ask you the same question about Jack Pardee? How did that work for him and all of us?
He was ostracized by atm grads when he was Coaching us. In the Astrodome you could hear the f-bombs directed at him all game long. Where you in the Astrodome then? After he passed away he was revered by atm. What a bunch of hypocrites.
How did that work for John Jenkins? Remember John Jenkins? He was blacklisted after he left U of H.
We are not in a P5 because of those two Schools. Do you understand now why I despise these two Schools? Every single day that passes by is an insult to every single U of H graduate. This is especially true for our “golden graduates”. It matters a great deal to me. Sabotage is the best word to describe uta and atm. They did sabotage us. Playing in a G5 is not acceptable but it is acceptable for uta and atm.
We have the potential to be a major power in college football and the biggest power in Texas. Right now we can’t and never will until we are not part of a P5.
GO COOGS!!!

2 Likes

We are not in a P5 because of UH administration ineptitude during the late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s.

And poor fan support.

Politics was also a factor.

6 Likes

Agree. You can’t have a one way contract like that. If he really said that, he’s way off base.

So you are denying that uta and atm were involved with the ncaa to get U of H on probation?
What ramifications did that have on our program? By the way, John Jenkins did an amazing job with what he had.A few years later the SWC was imploding. Ann Richards, uta and atm kept us from joining the small12.
I was on campus at the time and lived it day to day EECOOG69.
How do you explain that with great tv ratings, new facilities, fourth biggest City U of H is out of a P5?
Do you agree or disagree that it makes sense (business sense) to have U of H in a P5 today? So why are we out?

2 Likes

POLITICS WAS THE MAIN FACTOR!

6 Likes

I think it was the reason TT and Baylor got in, but not the main reason UH was left out 

1 Like

Both Baylor and Texas Tech getting in was (in fact) the main reason that UH was left out of the not-so-Big12.

5 Likes

Reading the history on it, UT and, to a lesser extent, A&M where the reasons why the other Texas schools were left out to almost include Baylor/Tech. When the Big 8 came to the negotiating table, they were fully expecting and willing to take all 8 schools from the SWC. However, UT and A&M said no, they’d be the only ones moving. This was after UT strong-armed the Aggies in the legislature into going with them as they were looking to join Arkansas in the SEC.

Bullock and the Baylor State legislature budget rep were the ones that strong-armed the Horns/Aggies into taking Tech and Baylor with them. The rest were left to flounder as they had little to no political clout at the time.

As far as hiring an Aggie, my issue with it is making sure they know Houston and being AD at a big-City school. I mean, What’s an Aggie going to teach us? How to have it easy in life because you already have a fanatical cult on campus that will do what you want them to?

My reservations with them are the same that I have with hiring people from Alabama or Mississippi State (which we’ve done the last couple of years); can they operate well in a big, mostly pro sports dominated city. So far, haven’t been impressed.

I’d like to think we’d look at people from big city schools: for example, USC, UCLA, Boston College, Louisville, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, TCU, and yes (god help me) UT before looking at people from rural campuses.

12 Likes

If you’re looking for people who know how to carve out a niche in a greater sports landscape, why would you go with someone from UT or Louisville? How much competing does the absolutely nothing else in those cities do?

5 Likes

So Pezman and the Houston Dynamo VP/COO just followed each other on Twitter. Dynamo VP also followed some UH accounts. Hmm.

1 Like

I like the implications of bringing someone in with a business edge to them (Re: Dynamo VP). There is so much opportunity to grow the fan base with casual fans and existing alums. This needs to be a priority and more emphasis with the facilities in pretty good shape.

1 Like

Going back to the late eighties and nineties–Pickering once said that he did not like the
losses ($10 million per year) and wanted to get rid of it. It was not ineptitude it was
an opinion that he attempted to turn into fact.

As a Dynamo fan, I pray it is not Chris Canetti. He would be terrible when it comes to coaching hires - very much a make/accept excuses for the status quo kind of guy.

1 Like

This

Big city schools that have to compete with pro franchises.

Canetti? Oh dear.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/940055965663051776

6 Likes

This feels weird that so many things could possible go right

2 Likes

but cal is bad in football and basketball

but uncle fertitta overseeing that stuff so im not too worried on who ever we pick