I ain’t giving up on Dana

I haven’t given up on Dana or Tune, but needless to say next year is a big year.

2 Likes

I haven’t given up on Dana, but Tune has got to get better. He has played too many games to still make bonehead decisions like he seems to do each game.

2 Likes

That’s where I’m at with Dana. I haven’t given up but leaning in that direction. He needs to show us something next year.

3 Likes

Tune has heart, he makes a lot of plays…unfortunately he makes really bad mistakes at really bad times.

Is he the guy to win a championship? Beats me. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a break out year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being a .500 QB.

I will say this without any hesitation, given our investment into facilities, coaches etc… We should be winning more games, we shouldn’t be an average AAC team. We should be fighting for championships every year. So next year has to be our year. We have become the Texas Longhorns of the AAC, all the facilities and very little production from it. The indoor practice facility was supposed to be a game changer…well not so much. To me the only thing the indoor practice facility has done is take my parking spot.

6 Likes

Never gave up on Sampson, not gonna give up on Dana. I am okay with giving him 2 more years as long as there is progress in year 3 and we compete for AAC championship year 4

5 Likes

Always have supported Dana,but losing faith. Team has never looked “sharp”.Offense is slow,no tempo,play calling questionable,team not disciplined,many penalties. I do not see what to get excited about. Right now we are a BAD football team. Last year we were a bad football team. Do not see any improvement. Dana was a great play caller when here before,but may have been Case,he made everyone look better. Play calling now is horrendous and takes forever to get them in,Team was behind 21 and showed no urgency.We are not getting much bang for the buck for $4 mil/year!

4 Likes

You do know that we did actually come back from 21 down, right? Not sure what your complaint is here.

Where do you get out of shape from ? Out of shape teams don’t come back from 21 down

1 Like

I certainly haven’t lost faith in Dana and staff. We were really in the toilet after 2018 (just watch the Memphis, Tulane, and Army games) and we certainly needed 3 to 4 years of rebuilding before we had a chance to get back to the 2015/2016 promissed land. We took an investment year in 2019 with very heavy RS and transfers. We have progressed for sure, just look at our 2020 O and D rankings compared to 2019 and we’re now a middle of the road AAC team that is trending upward. As Dana himselves says, we’ll be better next year and the year after. It all starts up front on the O Line and the D Line and we need to get better there before we’ll be happy with the results on the field.

For the first time since BY, we’re trying to build a long term program. Let it happen CoogFans and show more patience and you’ll be happier. I promise! :sunglasses:

12 Likes

There is a big difference in having a good team every once in a while and having a good program. It takes time to build a program (see basketball).

4 Likes

No doubt about time to build a program that lasts.

5 Likes

Last season was the worst UH performance in over a decade. The worst since Dana Dimel (2001). This season would the worst in eight years. My boss would let me go, if I had this kind of performance at work and I would deserve it.

4 Likes

Does your job depend on 18 to 21 year olds learning a new system and beating more experienced, and frankly, better teams? Does your job depend on doing this with mostly people you didn’t bring on board? Does your job have people questioning and blasting your every move? If it does, your job sucks.

6 Likes

There seem to be some incredibly negative posts in this thread. Hopefully from t-shirt fans and not former students at UH.

2 Likes

Probably have long sleeve t-shirts during December.

2 Likes

Funny !!

1 Like

Does the job pay $4M per year? If so, I’ll take a stab at the job with 18 to 21 year olds learning a new system, playing -allegedly- more experienced teams, and I will give it a shot with the people on the roster. And, for $4M per year, I don’t care if anyone blasts my every move. Where do I sign-up for the $4M per year?

4 Likes

We went heavy RS and transfers because of 1.5 decades of changing coaches every 2 or more years blew holes in our recruiting and we were young, had no depth, were undersized, etc.

It was a strategy to get older, bigger, stronger, and far more depth. Why is it so diffucult to understand. It wasn’t about the W/L record, it was about all the other objectives I listed.

4 Likes

So, why are we ranked 10th in the AAC and 105th nationally in recruiting right now? If the long term solution is to improve recruiting, so we don’t have to rely on JUCOs, why are we second to last in our conference?

It is going to take another four years to dig ourselves out of the hole that Dimelson is putting us in.

2 Likes

Assuming we are “building a program” and “it takes time”, next year is year 3 after a purposeful destruction in year 1 that was a controversial attempt to quicken the rebuild…it ought to be the year it starts to pop. 8 wins minimum. 10 the year after or Holgy is clearly not going to get it done for us and the excuse train can stop. Also when is the recruiting that allows the performance “pop”going to come through? That result can be shown each year with rankings (at least somewhat) so wait 3 years excuses aren’t as valid.

1 Like