I hope this happens more

I hope that more kids start thinking about a 6 figure salary straight out of high school. It would be great for the game if the one and done is gone and kids can earn what the market will pay them. It is so much better for the college game as well. How many of these one and done never see the classroom, never wanted to go to college for the education or even care about their university after they leave?

An 18 year old that can pocket a couple hundred grand for 6 months work…yes please.

1 Like

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/rod-strickland-g-league-recruiting-kentucky-signee-terrence-clarke-with-lucrative-deal/

Forgot the link.

It comes down to what endorsement money is going to be there. The $125k is nice, but below asking price for elite basketball players. The NBA needs to let these kids go straight from high school again. I would like to see it set up with either go straight pro or be required to do 2 years in college. Making it like baseball where you can have your name in the draft without losing eligibility would be the best way to do it. As soon as the NBA gets 30 for 30 with the G-League, go ahead and eliminate the G-League draft and expand the NBA draft to 3 rounds with a guaranteed G-League contract to 2nd and 3rd rounders (if they want it). Really 2nd rounders should get a guaranteed exhibit 10 at the minimum. The problem with high school to NBA guys before wasn’t the busts (check the numbers vs 1 and dones, HS guys actually did better), it was the fact that if you slide to the 2nd round you were screwed, undrafted even worse.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone adds their name re baseball. Baseball just drafts who they want, which kind of avoids the whole waiver of amateur status. So basketball could adopt a system where they draft who they want (add several extra rounds) and guys come or they don’t.

1 Like

That is even better so schools don’t pull scholarships away from guys who may go back.

The G League approved new Select Contracts back in 2018 that would allow recruits to make $125,000 in a five-month season starting in 2019-20, though sources tell KSR that the updated number being thrown around with this current crop of talent is as high as $500,000 per season, including endorsements.

Kentucky can match $500K easy. I don’t think they have anything to worry about.

It is funny how some people who don’t want athletes to make legitimate money from their NIL, don’t mind these athletes taking money under the table.

This young man is trying to do what anti-NIL people want him to do but UK more than likely has offered him more money than the G-League. The athlete is going with who can pay him the most. Sorry G-League, you can’t match Kentucky’s offer

1 Like

This would be fantastic for the kids, but I’m not following you on how it would be better for the college game. I think one and dones have hurt the college game. Coaches invest a ton of time and effort into recruiting these guys who take up a scholarship and roster spot for a year, which deprives a kid who could be really good and willing to stay because he knows with a bit more development he can be a solid NBA player. Teams like Duke, Kentucky and Kansas have brand new rosters every year. Teams never really gel, which is why (in my opinion) we see so many upsets during March Madness. Less talented veteran teams who know how to play together can beat a team full of NBA guys who are just passing through.

I would be in favor of letting these kids go straight to the NBA from HS. If they’re going to be one and done anyway, there’s no point in making them go to college for a year, taking away scholarships from kids who could really use the development (and potentially a degree). But for those who do go to college, I think they should be required to play 2 years. Just my opinion though.

2 Likes

I just hope when guys are allowed again to go straight to the NBA that the term “one and done” completely dies. The real problem with it wasn’t the Kevin Durant or Zion Williamson types, it was the non top 10 guys in the class who had the mindset to be one and done regardless of draft projection because its the cool and impressive thing to do. You had a big increase in guys leaving after one year, with a bunch only projected to be 2nd round picks. Then of course some programs like Kentucky made it worse by setting up a system where they push out guys after one year even if they aren’t ready because they have a fresh group coming in.

The anti-NIL people get their wish again.

Since we are currently not a one-and-done school, I think the current system is quite beneficial for UH. We get mostly 3 and some 4 stars who develop into some great players and stay from 2 to 4 years.

As 2002Coog said, our type of team can beat a team of freshmen one-and-dones. Until we start getting these 5 star recruits, I kind of like the one-and-done system.

3 Likes

My point was that letting kids go pro immediately would be better for the college game for all the reasons you pointed out. You get to make kids better. A 2 or 3 or 4 year player in a system will just make the game better.

I hate the baseball rule. It is silly and only helps the schools. No other profession would people be okay with this other than sports. If a kid graduates high school and starts welding he can just do it. If he wants to go to school for a year and then weld, he can do it. But baseball…no, we can’t allow that. Basketball, you have to go to school for one year for no reason other than to protect the pro teams investing in you.

Seems like win-win for everybody. They are creating a select G league team with spots for elite HS players. Will play a condensed 20 game schedule. Green will get a college scholarship from the program so he can fo back to school if necessary. Eliminates some of the one and done. Reported he is going to make 500k with possibilities for endorsements.

The Bleacher Report article above says Green was committed to Memphis if he was going to college. I guess Penny didn’t want to match that $500K since he is already in hot water.:smile:

2 Likes

My bad. On a second reading, I see you said if one and done was gone. I thought you were saying one and done is good. We’re on the same page.

1 Like

I bet Memphis fans are pissed. 2 years in a row of getting screwed out of a top recruit.
Luckily i’m not bored enough yet to go to their message boards.

2 Likes

Their best player will always be the conference refs as a whole!

This is working out great for the anti-NIL people. This looks like it’s starting a trend so now bluebloods will not get too many 5 stars and instead grab the 4 stars UH would normally get. We are going to feel the trickle down affect.

It’s difficult to see this move as anything other than a blow to the NCAA. Prospects have circumvented the college system in recent years—LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton opted for the NBL, based in Australia and New Zealand; Anfernee Simons trained at IMG Academy in the lead-up to the draft as opposed to playing for a college blue blood. But this is a minor-league experiment with the full backing of the NBA. Making overseas-level money while maintaining a domestic presence is something the NCAA, as one college assistant coach put it, “can’t compete with.”

“This has massive implications, and once the first domino goes, it will be easier for the rest to go too,” the college assistant coach told me. They also pointed out that this might make NCAA coaches hesitant to deploy full resources when recruiting players who might be interested in this program. “It is definitely sending a message to the NCAA as a whole.”

“This is not the G League … this is the NBA creating their own AAU team to go play their own travel ball schedule,” said the assistant coach. “I don’t blame the kid for taking the money, but a win for the NBA, a win for the G League doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be a win for Jalen Green.”

1 Like

How many one and dones go in the NBA draft every year? I’d really be interested to know as I have no idea.

I don’t think it’s more than a handful or so. So I don’t think this affects UH much or at all.

The nice thing about basketball and baseball is that you can start working as a professional out of high school if you’re good enough. And I have no problem with that.

And if you’re not good enough, college gives you an education plus the additional training and experience you need to have a chance at a career in professional athletics (as a player or a coach or the like). And I do believe the latter is worth something.

Football’s a different thing. The players need college to physically mature and to learn the game in much more depth than most understood it in high school. As NFL careers are short, even if one is lucky enough to make a roster, NFL teams don’t want to teach too much or have too big of a learning curve. So, I think, even if the three year bar to entering the draft was removed, the NFL would take probably nobody out of high school. There might be some action for two-year players.

As far as UH, my point was that the G League may get more 5 star players leaving less for bluebloods. Now bluebloods are going to start recruiting more 4 star players like the ones that signs with UH.

It would be a trickle down affect where we normally get 3 and 4 stars but now we would get 2 and 3 stars. Duke would get one 5 star instead of three and the remainder would be 4 stars. Hopefully we can become a perennial power before any of that happens.