I hope we play Texas in my lifetime

I absolutely would not have sat in those bleachers.

It’s a tough call, but we should have moved the game. If you guys had tickets to a roadie at Texas State and your ticket was cancelled over something like this even though they had the ability to move the game to a suitable stadium a few miles away, you’d be irate and never want to schedule them again either.

However, I don’t buy that bleachergate has anything to do with our inability to schedule UT now. Dodds held a grudge, but no one involved with that game on either side is still around.

1 Like

Our problem now is that they have seen what we did to Oklahoma, Florida State and Louisville and they will not play us because we are too good. They either want a Notre Dame or Michigan or a patsy like Rice.

1 Like

We should NEVER have moved that game !!!

That part I supported 1000%.

2 Likes

I get the argument and felt that way at the time, especially since it was I believe our first nationally televised game after moving back to the Rob (though the empty bleachers were so embarassing that it negated showing the Rob off).

You’re comment is in line with most of your comments here. But I am curious, in my scenario where TX State sells 4k tickets to UH fans (including you) and then cancels all those tickets because of a safety issue and declines to move the game a few miles down the road to a venue that will accomodate all the UH fans that bought tickets, you are cool with that?

It wasn’t lopsided until we got put on probation and Jenkins got fired. UT won 7 straight after that. From 76 through 91 we were 6-7-1 against UT. Not bad considering our home games were off campus and generally had half UH half UT crowds.

3 Likes

No, but then again it was the longhorns, so I could give a damn…I felt that way at the time primarily because I had put up with their bullsh!t going back to 1968.

I have no remorse for those bastards !! (I am referring of course, to their athletic department)

1 Like

The bleachers would have been fine. The problem was Uh hired an engineering firm to inspect them that had no bleacher experience. A bleacher firm in competition with the one that erected them said they were fine.

1 Like

I’m no bleacher engineer, but those pics above showing the base resting on stacked wooden planks that aren’t even lined up solidly looks less than safe to me.

3 Likes

If you look at the right front of the picture you will notice that the flange (foot) of the support post is not even set on the wood but is hanging off. Looking closely you will note that the post is not supported by the wood.

1 Like

I remember going by there and seeing those bleachers and thinking that there is no way anyone should sit in those. Plus it was a week after 9-11 when the last thing this country needed was another tragedy.

The game should have been moved to the Dome though. I hate Deloss Dodds but he wasn’t wrong on this one. We played the hurt ex and it didn’t ultimately help us.

Safe? haha the thing wasnt even lined up and there was going to be thousands of fans jumping and walking on top. Nah im okay :joy:

I find it difficult to believe a firm that puts up these stands for a living with 0.00 prior issues would have suddenly put out a shoddy product.

Smith caved because of the whiny ut fan base.

1 Like

We did the right thing. We eliminated the risk of a possible accident which would have done irreparable harm to the image of UH than the mere disappointment of a few thousand UT fans on that day. If something had gone wrong, we would still be hearing about it today and our fans would be pointing fingers in every direction, but mostly at Chet Gladchuk.

2 Likes

We never should have played in such a small venue…we play at the Dome or Rice Stadium, UT does not have a word of complaint and the whole issue never comes up. Gladchuk was foolish playing the game at Robertson.

Gladchuk was a disaster - and in more ways than that!

Facts:
Mr. Yeoman just like Mr. Pardee and Jenkins were pushed to the local dump by uta and atm. The ncaa probations were pushed by them. We and SMU (can’t stand them either) got sent to the dungeon while everybody in America (not just the SWC) infringed on the same rules. Don’t tell me we got caught. THE NCAA CHOOSE TO CATCH US. This is where and why we are in the AAC today.
Anybody that thinks otherwise:
Either does not know our history.
Does not care to know our history
Is utterly delusional.
Fiction:
uta and atm are there to help us. No they are there to keep us away. As far as they can and forever as they are concerned. I have wrote it many times. I am convinced, even more today than a few years ago. The Houston area is capable of producing a multi National Team titles with U of H.
It makes absolutely no sense in the world that we are not in a P5. It makes perfect sense for uta and atm. They benefit from it every season we are excluded. How much clearer can this be?
You bet this thread pisses me off. How are we all frustrated from it? That’s your answer. Any questions?

8 Likes

I used to want to be playing them and beat them at their houses, but I don’t care anymore now. As long as, we improve, win and win the whole thing before they do from now, I will be a happy camper. However, I think we still need to advertise our university better. I am not sure how many high school kids in the state of Texas especially in the Hill Country area knowing that UH is a Tier-One. I remembered when I talked to high school students in Austin area at college nights about UH nationally ranked programs, they thought I was making them up.

3 Likes

I have a feeling a P5 invite is in the bag for us come 2023-2025, or whenever relaignment starts happening.

I know I’m basing this off early judgment, but most of us expect to be good with the new staff. With that being said, I surely hope we can keep the current staff for a good 2-3 more years. The scary part is that anything bigger than a Chic-fil-a peach bowl, and our staff is at risk of leaving for a P5 school.

I swear winning at this school is a blessing and a curse.

Risk? They gonzo

To me the worst thing about A$M going to the SEC is that that is one less P5 that we have a chance to get in. I would expect UT and A$M to fight us getting into any league they are in.