If that isn't us next season

The man lost to Tulane AND Tulsa in the same year.

I am pissed off that we are in a conference with those 2, much less that we are losing to them !!

3 Likes

They got those jobs for having top 10 finishes at G5 schools. They were by far the hottest G5 coaches in the years they got jobs. It takes more than a 10 win season to be that. If we win a NY6 bowl next year, Applewhite will likely be offered that kinda money.

frost was 6-7 year 1 which is acceptable because UCF was coming off a 0-12 season. Herman year one went 13-1 and the only reason he lost to UConn was because ward and postma got hurt.

Applewhite doesn’t need a learning curve. He was an OC longer than both Frost and a year less than herman was when they were OC’s.

As much as this board talks about wanting a Gary Patterson, it’s kind of funny to think about the fact that GMFP himself went 6-6 his first year at TCU with a roster that had just won the WAC the previous year, with losses to UAB, Tulane, and Northwestern Freakin’ State.

3 Likes

I bet a lot of fans were ticked too. He went 10-2 in year two though. If Major does that, most will be very happy with him.

Allen’s INT on the opening drive of the 2nd half of the TTU game was pretty pivotal as well. You just cannot make that throw across your body in that situation. Not discounting your list but that play sticks out in my head.

That 0-12 was a weird year. UCF had enough talent to have a winning season, but didn’t. UCF and Houston are programs that are mirror images of each other; great recruiting, urban universities, good in all sports. UCF should get 7 wins every year no matter who the coach is, so call me unimpressed after year 1 of Frost.

Yes he does, every coach does.

That is not the norm. Herman actually probably hurt himself with that season. The 9-win season of 2016 is more indicative of Herman as a coach than the 13-win season. I think this year and the next couple of years at UT will bear that out.

3 Likes

To your first point: you don’t realize how hard it is to go winless in cfb. It’s impossible.

2nd: Applewhite clearly doesn’t need a learning curve, if you can coach you can coach. its a reason he hasn’t be able to stay at schools a while as an OC. He was a mediocre one. He should be thanking Herman 24/7 that he gave him another chance at bring an OC.

We seemed to have done it in 2001 pretty well. Again, Houston’s and UCF’s floor should be 7 wins. Every coach that comes through here should be able to get that.

I just disagree with this point. Coaching as an OC is wildly different than coaching as a HC. One is much more focused on specific Xs and Os while the other involves a variety of other activities that tend to distract from the Xs and Os, such as recruiting, hiring/firing/managing staff, clock management, overall scheme, culture management, etc. It’s like saying someone who has been in middle management of an operations department for a few years should be able to make a seamless transition to being CEO. They are such different skill sets.

2 Likes

that’s one instance. i know utep went winless this season as well but the year ucf went winless is for good reason. they weren’t a GOOD team that year and didn’t have the talent they had the 2 seasons before.

They had talent. They had been recruiting well, were 9-4 the season before. and the underclassmen from that year just went undefeated.

2 Likes

Nature of the beast in G5 unfortunately. If he wins big he’ll get poached by the P5’s same as Briles, Sumlin and Herman. if no P5’s are chasing the HC @ UH it’s not a good sign

I was kinda hoping he would get “poached” this past year !

And no one goes 0-7 In games decided by 1 score without a lot of luck
the bad kind.

So this is information I need. What are the signs that CMA is doomed to fail?

1 Like

The lack of in game adjustments was definitely lacking. Hopefully, that will get better with time. Adjustments need to be evaluated after each offensive/defensive series.

That’s true. I do think culture plays a part and good teams will generally win close games and vice versa. That said, no one wins or loses that many without some luck.

1 Like

He is a Winner, he has always been a Winner and will continue to be a Winner

How do i know, he told us so over and
over at his introductory press conference !!

What he didn’t tell us 
is his definition of a Winner.

Oh gee, were to start? 7-5. With a weak schedule. CMA has been with the program for 2 years before he took over. Yet he didn’t seem to know how to use the talent he had for offense? You can blame the OC all you want but the buck stops at CMA, he hired the coaches. Lack of adjustments at the half? Like he had a script before the game and never deviated from the script. Penalties. And dumb ones. We’ve all heard he’s a player’s coach, but these are kids, they don’t need the coach to be their friend. Just out schemed and unprepared for games. Like Tulsa. And the cherry on top? The guy has been with the program for 3 years and our recruiting class is in the 60’s? Again, don’t think that I’m somehow anti UH because I want more from our coach. I want UH to win plain and simple. Hey I hope he turns it around not for his sake but for the sake of UH. I like to quote Briles as often as possible, when he said that UH can’t afford to be on a 5 year plan, we need to be on a 5 minute plan.

1 Like