If You Want to be a Blueblood

Then you gotta beat the bluebloods!

$head and Sampson beat one of the most imfamous blueblood programs in the country tomorrow…

And start our ascent into blueblood grounds!

Go Coogs!

20 Likes

We have beaten Arizona recently and Kansas this year. The Duke jersey isn’t going to bother the Coogs.

11 Likes

I thought the schools considered blue bloods are Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, and UConn.

1 Like

Gotta win a Natty to even start thinking about blue blood status it’s all we are missing

18 Likes

A lot of ACC folks don’t consider us a real threat yet…

They will after tomorrow!

+indiana

lol no

Geez…the inferiority complex here is pathetic.

• We are a top TEN Final Four School All time in total appearances
  • We have one of the longest Sweet 16 streaks int he Country
  • NOBODY has won more college basketball games than the University of Houston over the last 4-5 years
  • We just finished FIRST in a Big Boy Conference, regarded as the toughest in the country.
  • We ushered int he modern era of College Basketball with the Game of the Century.

People here need to stop acting like we are the UTSA Basketball program…we are NOT!

beat Duke and move on to the next victim!!

14 Likes

But… You agree we’re not a blueblood program… Yet!

During our game with A&M, the play-by-play guy, on a couple of occasions, referred to us as the “Mighty Cougars”. It struck me as a sincere description. I liked the sound of it!

8 Likes

The consensus Blue Bloods are Kentucky, Kansas, Duke & NC. It’s obviously a subjective term, but I can’t imagine anyone objecting to any of these four.

In my mind UCLA after Wooden is a step down from those four - maybe two steps. Uconn seems close but I think that is due more to recency bias - they don’t have the decades of continuous greatness the other four have.

True… But Duke is the Blueblood.

Doesn’t get any more bigger as a profile program in CBB than that!!!

I ALWAYS tell people we’re The MIGHTY HOUSTON COUGARS!!!

I heard them say it, too…

And I also loved it.

1 Like

Kansas is close imo

A National Title does help but noone considers Baylor or UNLV bluebloods. Its all rather subjective i think. Ive heard the noobs referred to as New Bloods. :thinking: :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

We’re a RED BLOOD !

6 Likes

It generally takes multiple national titles and sustained dominance over a period of many decades to become a blue blood.

In basketball, there are, at best, only FIVE blue bloods: UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and UCLA.

Villanova and Louisville are perhaps close, but not quite there.

UH, assuming we win a Natty, might become a “new blood.”

But it’ll take at least a decades or two more of this kind of consistence dominance, as well as at least a few more natties, before we can claim “blue blood” status.

1 Like

Heard something semi profound over the weekend. I think it was JMU coach that told his players the good news is you dont have to play the all-time Duke team… just the current roster.

Of course they did proceed to lose by 40 after that, but the message was solid. :laughing:

1 Like

If you want to be blue blood, you gotta have a fiddle in the band.

7 Likes

I was told that the term “blue blood” comes from the use of Sterling silver. Is that correct?

Another question: isn’t NC the home to that enclave of “blue people?”