If You Want to be a Blueblood

There’s only one team where im like okay wish we had a healthy roster and thats UConn. Even Purdue i have my doubts!!!

The first Higdon came over in 1636 as an indentured servant to a tailor. I come from the upper class indentured servants, although it wouldn’t surprise me if some of my ancestors were criminals.
:wink:

1 Like

It’s great to know the journey of our families!

Very cool!

2 Likes

I do try and maintain my upper crust bearings, in fact, I visit my relatives in Louisiana often - ahem well, as soon as they get parole.

2 Likes

When my wife was at an open house when my daughter was in the first grade there was another Higdon kid in the class and his dad was big on that. There’s a Higdon family association with a book that has all of the Higdons from the time Peter Higdon came over as an indentured servant so I know a little of that side of my tree.

My mom’s side is different. My granddad on mom’s side was an Irish railroad worker (Carter) and I can trace his family back to about 1812. My grandmother’s maiden name was Bonvillain and her line came down from Canada with the first Acadians that settled in south Louisiana, but her mother came straight from France and her maiden name was dePelerin. It’s interesting, but I never give it much thought because I am just a Heinz 57 American and all of that old country heraldry that some get giddy over just bores me.

1 Like

Yup it’s these five programs. They’re all T-5 in NCAAT appearances, S16s, E8s, F4s, title game appearances, wins, and win%. Indiana would’ve been in that 15-20 years ago. But they’ve been dormant for so long that their overall numbers no longer match up (well except for nattys where they do still have more than Kansas). I’d say the next tier probably consists of them, Nova, Louisville, Michigan St., and UConn. Some ordering of that gives you your top 10 programs all time.

1 Like

We are a very dark purple blood program….indigo if you will.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re bluebloods in prison. The type that gives rather than receives. Jail cells on the upper levels.

1 Like

Big O…

You know the amazing thing is they won the two years after The Big O left. They had nobody, but won two years straight.

Not to veer off but there are a lot of great players that no one talks about anymore. Oscar Robertson, Tiny Archibald, Pete Maravich…I could go on and on.

1 Like

Yep but when I think of Cincy I think of Oscar. My wife’s uncle saw him play here against the Coogs in the early ‘60s.
I saw him play on television many times and in person when he played in Houston at the Astrodome when Elvin was a rookie with San Diego

1 Like

One of my favorite all time teams was the Milwaukee Bucks with the Big O and Jabbar (might still have been Lew Alcindor).

Those were Titans.

1 Like

That’s true, and shows the difference between theory and practice. What we didn’t have, except on plantations, was a landed aristocracy whose tenants were peasants or serfs, with no right to leave or choose work, and certainly not several centuries of such a system deeply ingrained like in Europe and other parts of the world. The Enlightenment ideals that informed the Constitution (again, underline ideals here) sought specifically to overturn these class structures, even though the different regional characters of the colonies had different social cachets, as you describe.

The first Dees came from Aberdeen to Jamestown in 1696 as an indentured servant, after the Seven Ill Years in Scotland. The Glorious Revolution was great for England and the colonies, but not so for the Scots, which didn’t help with the Jacobitism.

1 Like

Cincy had the Big O in hoops and Koufax in baseball. Hard to knock that!

Cincy has a rich basketball tradition. Sadly most of it came before the Big E. In their more modern history they’ve been regular season warriors and tourney folders.

The Big E played at Cincy. I don’t mind them winning a couple in the last 30 years.

The Big E was right and tight.

Thanks for sharing, that’s really interesting!