Is Houston Improving? Underdog Dynasty

6 Likes

What? An article with positive things to say about the program and Dana? Why would you post this on CoogFans? /sarcasm

7 Likes

Thanks Cary, very good article !

3 Likes

Very good article.

4 Likes

The performance of the offense vs UCF has been the low point of the season for me. I am not going to worry too much about the BYU and Cincy losses – those teams are solid and UH at this point is not as complete as they are.

The offense has been more “vanilla” than I expected in Year 2 but has shown some potential. The defense felt better in the first two games but I am concerned about the big runs being given up in the last two games after throttling the first three teams on the ground.

Definitely trending in the right direction but I am on board with Dana for a 5-year turnaround.

4 Likes

I don’t agree with that article much. I found it interesting to hear about all the talent on the defensive side considering all of the big plays they keep giving up. Against UCF, it was one of the worst performances I’ve seen in years. Big play after big play right up the middle.

Offensively, yes, we do have talent, which is why it’s such a mystery that we can’t put points on the board. Playcalling? Yep, it’s an issue. Anyone paying close attention can see the offense is predictable and lacks creativity. That, and there’s no up-tempo. Rarely do you see our guys getting up to the line quickly to catch the defense off guard. Playing up-tempo works in certain situations. Hell, even Alabama uses now. Oh, and unlike in years past where the QB got the ball out of his hands really fast, now we have a QB sitting in the pocket trying to hit guys 30-40 yards downfield on 3rd & 3. Those are low percentage plays, and just bad playcalling. Doing it once is one thing but repeatedly doing it led to numerous punts against Cincinnati.

Yes, BYU, Cincinnati, and UCF are good football programs. We played pretty darn good against BYU up until the last quarter. We got handled easily against UCF and throttled against Cincinnati.

What I expected to see under Holgerson was a high-powered offense that puts points on the board. What I’ve seen so far is a more conservative approach with very little creativity. That’s not gonna cut it if Houston wants to win the AAC

3 Likes

I guess we all are entitled to our opinions; but I think the article is spot on.

4 Likes

It was a very good article.

3 Likes

He said 29 of 44 returning…I thought this was a freebie season for all players…how does he know how many will return?

1 Like

He probably meant under normal circumstances. Who knows how many who graduate will return?

As much as I loved going to school at UH, when I finished my last class I was gone. I had to go make some money! I can’t imagine it’s much different for any football player that’s not going to be playing at the next level. I’m sure they’re ready to start their careers.

1 Like

I agree with LoRezz. I would expect those that have a chance for the pros will go. The others, I would expect several who will have graduated to leave as well. There will be a few who stay but not everyone.

I like CB Williams but to talk about him being the best in conference is a huge stretch.

That’s something we really don’t know to be fact or just grumbling of a player who thinks he isn’t getting a fair shake. However, that player may not deserve more PT. That’s nothing new to football teams, but usually it’s something kept in the locker room and handled by the team leaders.

Those players who are @ UH for the EDUCATION just might hang around for the “freebe” year and stay with the team. Pro prospects are gone. I’m sure some, especially if they got their initial degree, will boogie . . . . .

What about Braylon Jones? He’s a potential NFL candidate! He only let Tune get sacked the last two games!

The flip side is that, for those guys, this will be probably the last time they get to put the uniform on and play competitive football. I would take another year of college education (put it toward a Masters degree) for that chance if I was single and had no dependents on my income. If you are graduating and not playing much / on the scout team, then I could see not wanting to go through the practices, etc.

I’m one of the people who think a coach should be given at least three years. On that basis, I wasn’t thrilled with canning Major Applewhite after two seasons. But I will remain consistent by espousing that CDH should be given at least three years.

In looking at the rest of the schedule, a three win season seems probable (or 4 wins if you think we will beat Tulsa). A 4-8 2019 followed by a 3-6 or 4-5 2020 means that CDH will have exhausted all of the goodwill with the fans and administrators of the program. In my view, that means he has to get to nine wins in 2021 if he wants to retain his job for 2022.

1 Like

Of the 3 teams left, I am worried more about Tulsa than SMU and Memphis. They are a salty team and will give us all they have.

2 Likes

if we beat smu, then the tulsa game is for all the marbles to play cinci again…both teams should be highly motivated