Is this the darkest Coog football has been?

Man, you missed 1996 Liberty Bowl, or did you start Fall of 1997?

Lol, yes Eatemup, thanks for the reminder
last year bowl game tops the list!!!

Yep. Mr. Flask had little company, but plenty of elbow room in the stands.

2 Likes

It (2001) was much worse. They were talking about shuttering the program.

3 Likes

I attended 1998 to 2002 awful awful awful. The best year of those we actually won 6 games and no bowl chose to invite us. We are light years from that.

3 Likes

I went to a game against Baylor during the Helton years in the Dome and I don’t think there was 5,000 people there. I had my own concession stand.

Those days were horrible. I still bought season tickets.

7 Likes

That is funny!:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I will never forget that game. Had a buddy in sports information who told me I could make $50 holding the TV parabolic mic on the sidelines. I was woefully unprepared for that weather—frigid and raining! I thought my hands were going to fall off. Team gots its ass beat and I never saw a dime of that $50. I swore I would never be stupid enough to go to a UH football game again. Kept my promise for six years.

3 Likes

I started Fall of 97. My brother started Fall of 96, so I got to see a game or two that year. My family and I went to the Liberty Bowl to see my brother, but I wasn’t really a fan at that point. I decided to go to UH because I got a scholarship during the application process in Spring 1997.
My dedication to the program is 100% attributable to being a member of the Spirit of Houston Marching Band all four years.

6 Likes

Ask me about dark when the university administrators are publicly talking about dropping athletics

1 Like

If I recall the faculty senate actually voted to end athletics. A similar bill went to the SGA and died.

Could you imagine what UH would look like today as a member of a no scholarship FCS conference, or in Division 3?

2 Likes

1999 we went 7-4 and fired Helton.
My other three years, we went 3-8.
16 wins in four years. Pretty terrible.
We’ve only had a few worse stretches in the history of the program since they started playing 11+ games.
1991-1995 definitely was the worst (and great timing to go with the breakup of the SWC).
1997-2002 and 1985-1987 are the runners up I guess.

2 Likes

The game that sticks out to me in 1994 was the SMU game at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair. We won 39-33 to avoid our first winless season “pre Dimel”. I recall that QB Shad O’Shay hit our tight end in the end zone for the decisive TD. Never rooted so hard for the Coogs in this game.

We avenged a 1992 humiliating 41-16 loss to SMU at their old Ownby Stadium. Anybody else on the board attend these games?

1 Like

I always hate the “darkest days” question.

We are Coogs. We have had plenty “darkest days”.

I am proud of the darkest days (all of them) because we are still alive and ready to fight on.

A really dark day if you ask me is pulling a coat off a cold kid. I don’t care about your silly rule. A kid is cold, the kid is cold.

5 Likes

This is darker than 0-11 because no one expected crap from us. There were like 5000 hard core fans and we were such an after thought. I was not around the early Helton years but what were we playing for? Also, who knew?

Also now we are the what have you done for me in the last 20 minutes kind of atmosphere. Playing for a bowl used to mean something. Now it means little if you aren’t playing for a top bowl.

This is dark, but there is a plan. I think.

0-11 was fun in a ‘what could go wrong next’ kind of way. Sitting there against Louisville in the cold rain was building scar tissue for what would come down the road. Uncle Dave had not told us to expect more yet.

A little depressing, maybe, but not the “darkest” 
 not by a long shot. There’re reasons for hope: a proven head coach, returning (I hope!) redshirt players, development of current players during this season, etc. Now, if we’re still terrible a couple of years into CDH’s tenure, yeah, we got cause for concern, but not yet. There is still reason for hope.

It’s not dark, just cloudy

10 Likes

So many bad to awful years.

But I recall being excited that UH had just signed or about to sign a successful HC from the Marshall Thundering Herd. If I recall, Bob Pruett came to UH, saw how bad it was, a changed his mind.

Just think about that a second, HC job at Marshall was superior to a HC job at UH at that time.

Darkest day? When our AD hired his buddy who came in and promised we would never beat anybody bad again.(Yes, the Love coach said that in so many words). He kept his promise but I remember fans saying (immediately following the exciting R&S) this smash mouth football will never work on Cullen Blvd.

3 Likes

I remember that game! I was there. And I remember someone told me to be quiet, I was being too loud. I’m like
 there’s no one here! It’s not possible to be too loud!

2 Likes