It Almost Didn't Happen

I’m not sure I buy that they were ready to be an 11-team conference. That part is strange.

Article is light on what Tilman actually did.

I think this might just be a courtesy piece for Tilman and all he’s done, so the extent to which they were going to 11 is exaggerated.

11 Likes

Yeah I don’t really understand the logic here.

2 Likes

Summing up the article:

Tilman helped UH and
Water is wet.

I’m not sure what Tilman did exactly at the last minute that made the difference.

1 Like

He leaned on some Texas politicians presumably to tell Texas schools in Big 12 “to stop being stupid. The business case for UH is there. Pac 12 could come calling in next few years. Add UH!”

7 Likes

Chronicle is already trying to put us in our place.

I stopped reading that rag during the SWC days when they became fixated on us for “running up the score.”

I’m still mad that we didn’t put up 100 on the Dallas Buyers Club.

4 Likes

Knew this was coming from someone

And it wasn’t last minute as few days ago. It was last min , meaning couple weeks ago when they were deciding on which Teams to expand. Once UH was included thst part has been very consistent abt which 4 teams were in. It even says straight from AD Pez – " I made a call late on Sunday evening when had used all our bullets". Makes more rewarding for all the people involved n what it took to get there.

Edit: when u read the article it even says thst time was 2 weeks ago as far as moving ahead w/o UH n only 3 teams. Nothing happened in last min as far as this week.

Poor summation imo. #Dry

Mob threats? whatever he did, it worked LULZ

1 Like

Chron gonna Chron.

In reality I also think its meant to keep the Tilman vs Bowlsby intrigue percolating.

I don’t read the Chron other than Duarte.

I consider it a street rag.

[Apologies to the time honored street rags of Great Britain for lumping them in with you.]

3 Likes

You don’t get appointed to the chair of the board of regents without being well connected (as in donates a ton of money) politically in the state of Texas. The idea that a donation could potentially go to an opponent is not beyond speculation; ‘he made some phone calls.’

1 Like

Use all methods, connections, and resources at your disposal to get what you want. Baylor should be familiar with this.

4 Likes

This story is meant to put down U of H.

We only “barely made it”. Fertitta probably bribed someone or we do not get invited.

This sane crap happened after 1971 when we got The SWC invite.

We are a High School. We are a Juco. We are “N-word Lovers”(I was called that at Oxford in 1967). SMU fans and others called us The Cougroes because we had Black players.

Coach Yeoman’s quote will always be true. And so we get used to it.

8 Likes

I will point out the writer, Brian Smith, has been advocating for UH to be in Big 12 for a while now. He also was one of the first to break the news that UH will be invited to Big 12. He can be a negative nancy but he is generally supportive of UH.

2 Likes

Ultimately, I will take the Big 12 as the best available conference for us. I am excited for the match ups, which are far superior to AAC. But if Pac 12 sends an invite, it is a no brainer we should accept it.

Assuming the gist of this article is true, looks like we (via Fertitta) had to kick the door down to get in. If that’s the case, we need to build our football program back up and go scorched earth on these schools/presidents/ADs that didn’t think we were good enough. It’s time to position ourselves for the next round of realignment by kicking tails and taking names.

8 Likes

Pez said it was Tillman’s push that got us in. Bowlsby mentioned Tillman’s influence in the decision. Smith is just reporting what was said and who was given credit, and I don’t see this as a hit piece on UH, I see it as a recognition of the influence of Tillman and his dedication to UH. I think some of the paranoia is unwarranted. But, that’s just me, if any of you want to think otherwise, it’s your choice.

I will just say that I remember a few weeks ago the word from the B12 was that there was reluctance to allow UH in due to Tillman’s reaction when we were stiffed in 2016. Now, all of a sudden, the guy who said that went out of his way to praise Tillman’s leadership in getting this done. I also remember Pez telling us at the Kickoff get together that not to worry about what was said, Tillman is a huge positive in this and that we were positioned well.

11 Likes

It’s not that they didn’t think we were good enough. They were afraid of us dominating them in football.

5 Likes