It looks like no tailgating this year

At that time we were easily burning thru 500 cases of beer a tailgate EASILY!

2 Likes

Hear hear
 one more comment for the tailgating at Robertson. Coogfans tailgate. Pay what was it $5-10 And you got st Arnold’s beer plus food. Good times and an amazing rotation of cook teams

4 Likes

Gosh dang I miss the Rob’s tailgates. :frowning:

2 Likes

Robertson tailgating was some of the best I have ever been a part of. You could smell the pits from I45.

Having the parking around the venue was fantastic. The best part was when we sucked we could still enjoy the day watching other games on TV.

I still can’t believe UH threw all that away. We really are our own worst enemies.

1 Like

John was great, he and johnnycougar got me on board and that was a wild ride, having pit robbed to having half nude women cater our tailgates to always getting more beer than imaginable, those were some hardcore drinking games!

1 Like

Part of the loss of area around the stadium wasn’t our fault — Light Rail took a big chunk along Scott & that pretty much killed the Pavilions where UHAA, Lettermen, President, & Colleges tailgated.

Here’s what Robertson looked like — Loads of close-in parking — My ΣΝ frat bros would setup under one of the oak trees around the North end of the stadium. The band & cheerleaders would march by. Just great.

4 Likes

I think the biggest problem is that we’re an island–an urban campus with little to no room to expand.

So if you want to build X, you need to take a little from Y or Z or both.

We needed more parking, but we don’t have tens or hundreds of acres at the edge of campus. So we built a garage next to the stadium. We needed a training facility, etc.

1 Like

The Ivy League doesn’t participate in the post-season. Once the Ivy League decided to go with a conference-only schedule, it didn’t matter if they played in the spring. It’s not like they gave up the opportunity to pay in the FCS playoffs – Ivy League schools wouldn’t go to the playoffs anyway.

P5 schools are committed to playing in the fall. Bowl season will go on in December/January as scheduled. Every FBS team will play in the fall in order to qualify for bowl games.

I can’t understand why the Ivy League doesn’t participate in the I-FCS playoffs, when they have no problem sending representatives to every other Division I playoff for which they have participating teams.

Odd, to say the least.

1 Like

Using eminent domain, UH could buy much of the surrounding neighborhoods

From whats I was told they will not have any UH sponsored tailgating but they will not stop you from doing so on your own which is what I have always done. I doubt it will be big stuff but some will still doing it.

In the second email I received yesterday it had a comment “No organized / formal tailgating will be allowed.” I am assuming this means party on the plaza will not happen this season. No UHAA tent and other Alumni tents, etc. Or does it also mean no large groups allowed in parking lots?

Sad about John. Yeah I sure miss those ROB tailgates. But now in my 60’s I couldn’t do what I Did then! So maybe I miss my youth more>

Here’s a little secret (that’s not really a secret but isn’t publicized.) For many years UH has owned quite a bit of land near campus. There is the large wooden tract at the corner of Cullen and North MacGregor and many lots in the area near Scott and the Gulf Freeway.

So, a dearth of land will not prevent the further development of UH’s campus. Some limited use of eminent domain may be necessary to square off a right-sized future development site. But, weak state-appropriated new construction funding will impede campus expansion, especially with the state’s present declining tax revenue circumstance that will likely echo into future higher education budgets.

1 Like