Jarreau

I think we are underestimating the defensive skills of Jarreau and Hinton who from other comments may be replacing Davis & Robinson. Remember it was Hinton who shut down Cumberland in the final six minutes of the Cinn game.

5 Likes

Agreed. Jarreau may not be at G-Rob’s level, but he’s solid. His long arms help him close out on shooters and make it hard to go around him. Hinton was struggling early, but the freshman is definitely put in work on the defensive end.

4 Likes

Not at all, just different defenders. Corey and Galen’s “lack” of size make it less difficult for them to get down low on defense

We will always be an outstanding defensive team under CKS

2 Likes

Galen is a key to our siccess. He sets the offensive pace so fast the opposition does not have the time to get comfortable, which opens up shots everywhere. When he comes out in the middle of the first half our scoring immediately slumps. Needless to say his D is great.

2 Likes

The important part being in CKS eyes he’s not at GR or CD level defensively at this point in his College career. Not that he’s a weakness on defensive end but not the level the other 2 guards play defense at. CKS rather sacrifice offense imo esp if they are ahead, rather than sacrifice defense which is what he likes to always hang his hat on so to speak.

2 Likes

Just based on my eye test, it’s not that Jarreau isn’t up to the level of Galen or Corey, it’s just that he’s different. Jarreau is really long and lanky, and therefore not quite as quick laterally as Galen and Corey. Those guys are shorter, compact and have a much lower center of gravity for moving quickly side to side. Notice how not many offensive players are able to drive around them. Jarreau is quick, but not that quick. But he’s actually a very good rim protector for a guard. Guards can drive around him, but he makes up the ground and blocks or alters the shot very often. The difference in defensive ability is one of the things I enjoy most about having Jarreau on the floor with either Galen or Corey. We’re going to force a lot of long range shots because their guards either can’t drive against Galen or Corey, or get their stuff swatted at the basket by Jarreau.

Offensively, Jarreau has improved tremendously over the course of this season. So much so that I think he will be a Rob Gray scoring threat next year minus the 3 point ability (which I hope he works on in the offseason). Jarreau is showing way more body control in finishing at the rim which is one thing Rob was very good at. Early in the season, there were a lot of wild shots after drawing contact. He finishes those more often than not now. With his drive and finish ability, guards will need to back off of him a bit which will open him up for 3s. He needs to shoot 3s this offseason until his arms feel like they’re falling off. He’s shooting them at a .391 clip this year, which is great. But he’s only shot 23 (9 for 23) which is 0.82 attempts per game. If he can shoot 3s at a .370 clip with an average of 3-5 attempts per game, he will be unstoppable next year.

4 Likes

The beauty of this team is that there is no one person needed to carry the team, like a Big E, or a Dream or a Rob Gray. Corey and Armoni can BOTH be ice cold on some nights and we never miss a beat.

That, my friends, is why we are 27-1!

Back on topic, if you think Jarreau looks good now, wait till he gets more comfortable out there :flushed:. He’s basically still winging it.

8 Likes

Actually, I like him coming off the bench as the 6th man. Adds a new dynamic to the team and it hurts defenses.

3 Likes

Dejon only gets to be the 6th man when neither Breaon or Fabian get two fouls in the first 4 minutes. :wink:

4 Likes

He requires a tremendous amou t of energy to cover. Thats why he does so well late in games.

4 Likes

Listened to an Andy Katz podcast this morning (recorded Monday) with Mick Cronin. Mick said we are one of the most underrated teams in the country and that we are tough to beat for three reasons 1) senior leadership in Galen with amazing wing shooters in Davis and Brooks, 2) well coached, which results in some of the toughest players, especially our big men, but he said the 3) reason is the biggest, “they have an NBA player coming off their bench in Jarreau.”

9 Likes

Hinton and Jarreau may be NBA players.

3 Likes

Hinton and jarreau will be in the NBA one day

Where was Hinton late in game ?

https://twitter.com/evanmiya/status/1359949098225442833

3 Likes

D-eeky

2 Likes

Not sure I agree with the above defensive rankings chart. Corey Kispert 6th? LOL no

1 Like

When he finishes at the basket we are unstoppable. Amazing scoring last night.
Any update on injury?

I can’t say I understand any of the numbers, but Baylor having 3 in the top 12 seems pretty impressive.

Yes because they keep getting COVID excuses so they don’t have to play each other. Sounds like a B12 conspiracy to get as many teams as possible in the tournament. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes