John Sypert-Maddog

I hope others share their stories of John. It is how he will live on.

I found the board first before I met John. I had read if you needed extra tickets to ask for Maddog at the tailgate.

I arrived at one of the tailgates needing an extra ticket. I asked where he was and for those who did not know him or were there in those days, he was the hub of the tailgate.

If people had extra tickets they gave them to John and then he redistributed as folks needed them.

I really didn’t know anyone there. I approached him and introduced my self and he asked about my handle on the board. In a matter of moments he made me feel welcomed. He welcomed me and really made me and my family feel like we were part of a bigger family. He was the epitome of an ambassador of good will and marketing for UH.

In the years that followed he was a friendly face to see and always called me by my handle CgrBkr. He always had a good story or insight on the state of UH football.

My kids grew up going to Coogfans tailgates. My oldest is 25 now. But when he was 9 I wanted him to get out of his comfort zone and not be nervous around adults. I sent him over to John to ask about an extra ticket.

My son stood there patiently waiting to ask as John was talking with someone enjoying the pre game atmosphere.

My son got his opening and said, “Mr. Maddog do you have any extra tickets?”

John looked down at him and asked “Your cgrbkr s son?” My son nodded yes, as John looked up and saw me. “How many do you need?” My son asked for 1. My kids saw him like a gregarious family uncle that always had a gift to share.

Many of you knew him more personally than I did. May you guys find comfort in his memory.

John Sypert - Maddog, was Cougar Pride.

7 Likes

I never met the man but I once heard him introduced as “Maddog” at a tailgate. At that time I thought, “So that’s the guys whose posts I always enjoy.” My condolences to his family and all who knew him. He is missed.

4 Likes

I was on a Coogfans tailgate team and Maddog always contributed to making the effort enjoyable. He was really dedicated to promoting and supporting the Coogs. He has been missed.

4 Likes

A sad day. In a lot of ways, our tailgating culture at TDECU grew out of what John started at Robertson 20 years ago. He was a kind and decent man. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

3 Likes

Truly a sad day for our Cougar family…prayers going out to his family…so many fond memories of John, a relentless worker who always went out of his way to make me feel at home at the tailgates. He is truly missed and believe me, every ounce of him was Cougar…

2 Likes

great Coog, RIP

1 Like

He lived through a lot of Coog wars and upheaval. I’m glad he got to see some of the good times again.

1 Like

I was going through some tough times financially at those times (starting a new business) and had to let my season tickets lapse. My son was about ten and went to all the games with me. I always knew if we were able to make a game, I could reach out to John and he would somehow find tickets for us. If there is a Coogfan we should try to emulate, it is Maddog. Passionate, fair, vocal, and DEDICATD! He was Coogfans and always will be in my mind. God bless.

2 Likes

I can tell that John was a great person who made a lasting impact by the number of testimonials I’m reading.
I read the link that Coogcheese posted, titled “Legend of the Mad Dogs” by John Sypert for Coogfans.com in 2002.
The editorial is on UH’s Mad Dog defenses and lists UH’s best defensive teams over the years (UH’s 2018 defense did not make the list) and the best players. It’s an incredible and accurate read. Cougar fans should check it out.
Just by reading the editorial, I could tell John loved :heart: his Cougars and everything about the great University of Houston.

4 Likes

Prayers to his family and loved ones left behind. RIP

1 Like

So sad to hear this. He was a good man.

Rest In Peace Maddog

2 Likes

What terrible news. R.I.P. Maddog. Always enjoyed chatting with him, especially back in the beginning days of UH on campus tailgating, when tailgating was about the size of a small family thanksgiving dinner. John was such a diehard. Godspeed

5 Likes

I always enjoyed talking with John and working with him to help give Coogfans the best possible tailgate. His effort was key to helping create a real tailgate atmosphere in the early years at Robertson and was a great Coog. RIP.

6 Likes

RIP Maddog.

3 Likes

My heartfelt condolences to the Sypert’s family. RIP Maddog.

2 Likes

I’ve been around since the Helton days and John was always so kind, generous and fun to be around but most of all he was a Loyal Coog. Rest In Peace, Maddog.

1 Like

I was a bit drunk the one time I met him, he was a good dude from what I remember. RIP.

Great Guy. Always enjoyed tailgating and visiting with him before games.

I’m very sorry to hear of John’s passing. We worked together for 15 years, good times.

1 Like