JUCO DB Keandre Powell commits - Preferred Walk-on?

Little strange as there’s been nothing from any of the official coach accounts or uhcougars accounts. Saw this commitment on twitter this morning and JD confirmed.

Keandre is originally from Columbus, OH and is now at Fullerton College. Last year, they went undefeated and won the CCCAA Football Championship. Keandre played in 9 games, made 7 tackles and had a pick.

https://twitter.com/Iamkeandre_/status/1030866273448742912

Congrats to him.

Is he a preferred walk-on? Or is he a late-bloomer that earned a scholarship? Because his data on ESPN, looks like it would be my athletic profile coming out of high school…

Thinking he might be a PWO now. JD deleted his tweet about him committed as well.

I should know better…if a kid posts that he’s committed and none of the official accounts say anything, usually means a PWO.

He looks like he has grown from the ESPN stats. He has a nice hudl video.

1 Like

he will be a walk on. he wont count against this year’s class or in 2019 or take up a spot unless he makes the team. he played cb in HS but WR in Juco.

Is he on campus now for the upcoming season?

sorry…need to clarify and edit my post. he will be a walk on. preferred walk-on is something different.

He’s on campus now.

1 Like

Would someone educate me on the difference between walk-on and preferred walk-on?

1 Like

The coach makes an effort to remember your name.

5 Likes

Preferred walkons were recruited by the coaches and are pretty much guaranteed a spot on the team.

5 Likes

Turns out the kid is a PWO, wasn’t offered due to late exposure. Has playmaking skills wonder if he can contribute to this year’s team

1 Like