Kellen Sampson

At what point, (CIW or not) does Kellen Sampson start to become a target for head coaching jobs elsewhere? While he might very well enjoy the family atmosphere and all, at some point he may have an offer that let’s him step out of the shadows and establish himself separate from his dad. Or, if he is CIW does he just bide his time for the sure thing or feel like he has committed to be CIW and not able to break that commitment?

(I write this as we wait for the Kelvin Sampson extension to be signed and announced, not knowing if CIW was actually a real thing that would be in the contract or not)

Basically you are tired of waiting like most of us.
:man_shrugging::grin::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

How much will Kellen’s increase with this new CKS deal? Will it be enough to keep him around for 6 years? If he does get a head coaching job soon, his first one might be at a Sun Belt school or somewhere like that.

I think Kellen will tell them “NO” if this is really a family thing…why leave when you have a set job waiting on you when dad retires??..How many of us WISH we had that???

1 Like

If you think it is a better opportunity, why wouldn’t you take it?

If it is Better for Him and His family. Why do I get this feeling like some of you guys want his son to leave…I am not understanding this “he should go here or there” atittude. It is wierd, really.

I think most people want him as the next coach after Kelvin retires. I know I do. Keep a good thing going and also have one of the best coaches in the country on speed dial.

3 Likes

I don’t want him to leave but I can see where he could be targeted and may consider his options.

I want him to prove himself with all the intangibles that comes with being a head coach. I am not a fan of this coach in waiting stuff. It should NEVER be stipulated. It should only be an unwritten rule.

Right on, this CIW stuff is pure garbage…go out, build your own resume and EARN it.

1 Like

So you guys think FSU should have let Jimbo leave rather than designating him as CIW?

1 Like

If Jimbos dad was the HC, then yeah…nepotism just brings bunch of bad mojo IMO

1 Like

Think about it this way. Your dad gets hired to run an old restaurant that was once a 5 star but is now a half empty place you eat for lunch. He brings you in to be the assistant manager. While he hires the new staff, talks to owner into renovating the place, you go out and recruit the staff, train them and work the lunch and dinner service every day for 4 years. Now the restaurant is rated 4 star, smaller restaurants show interest in hiring you to manage them. Your dad makes an offer to the owner, he will stick around a few more years if you (his son) is the next manager in line when you leave so he gets to run the hopefully 5 star restaurant you worked so hard to revitalize. Do you pick up your family, leave your dad and manage a run down restaurant to build it up like you helped your dad do here or do you bust your ass a few more years to turn the 4 star into a 5 star and take your dad’s spot when he is ready to retire?

There is no wrong answer here. Each person has their own thing. You might want to rebuild a new place from scratch. I myself would like to stick around and be in charge of the potential 5 star restaurant I already spent 5 years successfully revitalizing.

7 Likes

Totally agree. What do we have to lose, the risk is well worth the potential reward. Kelvin’s dad was a coach, his son might even surprise some of you doubters and continue what his dad has started. If it works out with both of them we have hit the jackpot. If not, we still get to enjoy the ride with Kelvin Sampson for 6 more years. Either way, it is great to see the team take off again. I was a season ticket holder during Drexler & Olajuwon’s freshmen year & during Phi Slamma Jamma. Watching that team grow into one of the most exciting teams ever was amazing. I also remember as a kid listening to Elvin Hayes UH team on the radio & against UCLA in the dome. Seeing us reemerge as a basketball team and working our way back onto the big stage is not something that I take for granted. You can not just plug in anyone and get the same results as Kelvin Sampson. I am very proud to have him as our coach and excited to see what the future holds. It took us practically forever to get back to this point. We now finally have a chance to be in a Final 4 & a championship game again in basketball. I am anxiously awaiting news that we have him for potentially 6 more years. It is going to be a fun ride!

1 Like

Didnt Tony Bennett do well at WSU taking over for his dad? Maybe im get getting mixed up with another program.

1 Like

If keeping Kellen and his sister on staff is the price for keeping CKS then do it. Were CKS to leave for another school the optics and negative impact on the program would be hard to overcome.

2 Likes

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. I can see advantages both ways. Kellen getting actual decision making experiences at a smaller school could be good for his growth. Not my call.

However, at this point I do not see an issue with him taking the reigns at UH in 5 years.

Like I have stated, we have had Brooks, Drexler, Mc Callum and Dickey. I have problems believing he would do worse than those. If he has learned from his dad as it seems, he should be fine.

2 Likes

He did. There are three father-son transition instances I can think of

1. Tony Bennett - Monster success. Wazzu might have had him for a long time as well but got cheap with some dumb stuff right around the time Virginia was courting him (and Tony still was going to stay at Wazzu until his wife told him to think about it one more day).

2. Sean Sutton - Made 2 NITs in 2 seasons so wasn’t a complete disaster in terms of on-court results, but not great relative to expectations his dad set (though he only made the NIT in his last season as well) and he got fired. Turned out he had substance abuse issues.

3. Pat Knight - Pretty disastrous.

1 Like

The successful turnaround of UH basketball wasn’t in a vacuum with Kelvin only. Kellen has been a huge part of the resurrection and, in my opinion, has earned his shot taking over for his dad.

8 Likes

The Ray Meyer translation at DePaul failed as did the John Thompson one at Georgetown although to a lesser extent.