Kellen Sampson

From the Duarte article: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/Source-UH-Kellen-Sampson-head-coach-in-waiting-13741616.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Sampson said there are no guarantees that Kellen succeeds him. In recent years, Kellen Sampson has interviewed for a handful of head coaching jobs.

“That’s no guarantee,” Sampson said. “He may get a call next year. I would be the first in line to tell him to take it. If he can get a great opportunity and I’m still here, he’ll do what’s best for him.

1 Like

I’m glad the sampson family will be here for some time.

Go Coogs!!

At this point, I like the father/ son dynamic at UH. Its working well. I’m pretty sure Kellen is carrying the load of a HC with recruiting, coaching, encouraging, discipline, and possibly scheduling.

When it’s time to become HC, he’ll know the business and recruits will have the stability of a Sampson being around for a long time. Also, let’s not underestimate that when Kelvin does retire, he’s going to be around the team, the program, or in the stands, but he’ll have plenty of advice for Kellen when they sitting around the dinner table (ie. Blue Bloods).

4 Likes

What we’re doing is working. I’m glad this will (hopefully) keep Kellen around to help his dad out until he retires. Recruiting continuity will be a nice selling point in a few years once it looks like CKS is getting closer to retirement. When the time comes for Kellen to take over, hopefully he’s ready, does great, and we have our next coach for 20 years like Wazzu probably could have done with Bennett if they’d been more proactive in keeping him. If Kellen is Pat Knight, hopefully we move on after a couple of seasons.

Yes!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“That was never a sticking point,” Kelvin Sampson said. “I wanted them to want Kellen. I didn’t want to have to put them in a bad spot that, well now, I’m not going to sign this unless you make Kellen coach-in-waiting. That was never the deal.”

Sampson said there are no guarantees that Kellen succeeds him. In recent years, Kellen Sampson has interviewed for a handful of head coaching jobs.

“That’s no guarantee,” Sampson said. “He may get a call next year. I would be the first in line to tell him to take it. If he can get a great opportunity and I’m still here, he’ll do what’s best for him.”

1 Like

Continuity hires arent bad moves when you have had a system in place and a period of success for years. Same goes for football/basketball.

2 Likes

people are acting like we are hiring kellen tomorrow

dont think of this as some father son thing…think of it as hiring our top assistant at the retirement of a elite level coach.
kellen will be potentially 10 years in with sampson when he takes over, if we are successfully there will not be a better replacement option than him to continue whatever success system kelvin brings …especially considering kellen has been our top recruiter the last 2 seasons

5 Likes

Will he be associate head coach or assistant head coach now?

I’m baffled at how this could be perceived as anything other than spectacular.

4 Likes

These situations can work out better anyone can foresee. My son practiced with me for 7 or 8 years. We tried some cases together. We both learned from each other. I retired 11 years ago to teach at U of H Law Center and turned the firm over to him. I can proudly say he has taken the firm to new heights.
I believe we have insured not only continuity but greatness with this contract.

7 Likes

With Dr. Renu Khator and Tilman Fertitta at the top of the food chain, and a few others in the mix, i.e., deep pocket boosters and at the administrative level, the University of Houston has some POWER PLAYERS leading the way. I only 48, so perhaps a few of the older and more veteran alums can speak up, but I can’t think of a better time for UH and its leadership. The Coogs have people that know what they are doing and they can throw some weight around at the national level. When Dr. Khator and Tilman Fertitta speak, people listen. I completely trust Dr. Khator, Tilman Fertitta, AD Pez, et al. with making Kellen Sampson the HCIW. I think Kellen is going to be a huge success. If he took control of the UH program tomorrow, I don’t think we would miss a beat. I’m thrilled that we have a happy Sampson family at UH. We are fortunate.

Go Coogs. Peace.

1 Like

There are some at the national level that do not have much respect for the leadership at UH, and it has been written about, but anyone close to the school understand that Khator is adamant that the sports teams are going to be good, or coaches will be replaced. I think she is a rock star and has probably done more for the university overall than any other President/Chancellor in its history. She has solid backing from Frattatta and the board of regents, so let’s continue to move onward and upward.

Regardless of whether Kellen eventually takes the reins or not, every year that he is an assistant on this staff means that he is getting more experience working under one of the best coaches in college. I believe that Kellen is not only smart, but he can relate extremely well to current players and potential recruits down the road. I like this deal…a lot.

2 Likes

Let’s talk about CIW scenarios. Six years is a long time. In 3 years if we are still making the tournament and Kellen gets a decent offer do we have a conversation about moving up the succession timeline? Or we let Kellen go and hope he comes back in 3 years and that Kelvin doesn’t move on sooner as well with the family split up. I can see Lauren going with Kellen in such a scenario as well.

Completely agree but I also think this is one of the areas Kellen can grow in. He needs to go from big brother to father figure like Kelvin is. Kelvin teaches his players how to be men. That’s part of the reason we got Hinton from NC he comes from a good family and they care about building character.

1 Like

Kelvin’s statement on possibility of Kellum taking another HC job is what I said in another thread on this or TOS. Every man has to do what is best for him and his family – especially his family.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. Unless we’re seeing a decline in Kelvin’s performance, I think you stick with the sure thing and take your chances either getting Kellen back when Kelvin’s done, or banking on the fact that we’ve been a national contender for the past 5 years and now it’s a highly coveted job.

3 Likes

I think if Harry Foucke had the administrative and financial support that we now have with Renu and Tillman, our trajectory would have been meteoric. What he did with what little he had is nothing short of miraculous. He never had an administration that cared about athletics at all, IMHO. This is the best time as far as UH leadership from the top.

1 Like

Then this CIW thing is nothing but lip service due to the six years. That’s an eternity in coaching carousel land. Kellen will get at least a CUSA-type offer he should take within half that time, even if we have a NIT year or 2. If anything the CIW title just puts his name out there more.

It’s just a way to show we value the Sampson family, which we do. But I’ll be surprised if Kellen stays with us 6 whole years then becomes our coach. That’s some serious loyalty.

4 Likes