Kelvin Sampson Orlando Magic Rumor

CKS has it pretty good at UH, and Orlando is not the most desirable job in the NBA. If it happens then it happens, but I don’t think an NBA franchise would be as accepting of the family atmosphere that he’s established here.

2 Likes

Any idea how many deposits were made? I thought seat selection hasn’t even happened yet for Fertitta Center so what sections cound be sold out?

Not too far off from describing the UH basketball program before Sampson arrived.

I recall both the BarcaLoungers and Terrace seats in Club and all floor seats are sold out

Sampson, 62, has been quiet on the matter, although two people close to his camp said this week they would be “stunned” if he was elsewhere next season.

https://twitter.com/CoreyTheGreat_/status/997025622798032896

2 Likes

Our coach potentially bouncing certainly isn’t going to help. I said a while back that I thought it was a bad idea that our seat selection process wouldn’t give priority for getting your commitment in early as the second criteria after Fertitta Center donation tier rather than CP points. They created no incentive at all to make an early commitment other than getting in before a section fully sold out (and even then can you still come in and jump someone by donating an extra $500 like happened in football?). As-is you can wait until the very last day and get more information as it comes in (i.e. project won’t be completed on time, coach possibly leaving, etc.).

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/997504836043264000

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/997509909469069312

3 Likes

I feel bad rooting against CKS to possibly get something that he wants, but that’s really encouraging. Maybe he pulled his name.

1 Like

I’m truly hoping his interviewing was just a “test the markets” tactic. I also hope we give him a huge raise. The man has certainly earned it. He turned a program that was really hard to watch into a really exciting program, and it didn’t take an eternity to do it. New arena, new facilities, good incoming class. The future is bright if we can just keep some continuity.

5 Likes

We’re just going to have to get used to the rumors now. Even Coach K has rumors come out from time to time about him going to the NBA (mostly to the Lakers when Kobe was there). Part of the business when you have success.

Orlando sucks. They are among the worst teams in the NBA. The NBA is a grind. 81 games on the road and that is a long time away from the family and Sampson is a family man. If you’re going to endure the torture of the grind of pro basketball, then you need to have a competitive team to work with and Orlando isn’t that team.

If Sampson stays with UH for another two years, he’ll have us in the Final Four and once there…anything is possible. There will be better NBA jobs down the road for Sampson than Orlando. In the meantime he can continue to build on his NCAA success at UH. He’s only 19 wins away from #600 and that is a milestone that will usher him into the Hall of Fame. If he stays on and retires as the UH coach, then 700 wins is entirely possible.

1 Like

*41 road games

1 Like

Yes, thanks. Must have baseball on my mind.

I have absolutely no inside information, but Sampson IMO is meant to be at UH to finish out his career…
While the money is no doubt better on the other side of the fence, I think Sampson is content in building UH back into a power and then turning the reigns over to his son…
And I love my way of thinking…
He will no doubt get a hefty raise, but nothing like an NBA franchise would pay…
Regardless, I know coach is going to do what is right for him and his family…and his UH family…

5 Likes

It’s unbelievable that there were some members of this board loosing confidence and questioning his ability as a coach…your not going to find a better coach out there than this guy.

2 Likes

UH has never had a better basketball coach

1 Like

Sampson is very, very good, no doubt. But, “never” is a very long time; have some of us forgotten the great Guy V. Lewis - so soon?

6 Likes

No slam at Guy. I didn’t say Kelvin was bette. Both HOF. You don’t think Kelvin could win big with guys like E and Hakeem?