King, Carr and Lark. the future is now

Well, I think that if the UH website reflects that he missed the first two games due to injury, then it’s reasonable to believe that.

Whatever the case, it doesn’t really matter - he didn’t play because he wasn’t ready to contribute, not because of some coach’s conspiracy.

1 Like

Applewhite would have been a fool to not get King on the field as soon as possible, especially since we were lacking speed at the receiver spots. That said, had Allen panned out I think King would have remained at receiver. But as it turned out, all is well and we have a quarterback if we can keep him healthy…

So he didn’t play because of injury

1 Like

I guess he doesn’t realize how much information you provide to us all time and how much of this you have already stated within your other post.

Thank you again for all the leg work and information you provide for all of us.

4 Likes

Or he could have been out practiced by the other receivers. We rarely run more than three receivers sets, and he’s not going to beat Dunbar and Bonner for a spot. That leaves Corbin. Maybe Corbin just got passed up on the depth chart.

Corbin did not make the trip to Florida. I take from MA’s press conference is that Corbin broke team rules, but nothing bad. Just team rules.

1 Like

Corbin can’t catch in clutch situations. Miss-timed jump at goal line vs TTU, drop in end zone, other drops. Not nearly enough catches and big plays to atone for all the flubs.

If he can fix that (and it is all mental) he could be good.

I think he’ll be better next year. He’s still young, in regards to game speed. For the one’s that were freshmen and sophomores (this year) seeing adequate in game reps, they need to be much better if our team is going to win the CCG. I believe in CMA, I’m not sure he knows what it takes at this moment, but I’m sure he knows what is expected next season. For that alone, I think we will win at least 10 games.

Or go to DB like Isiah Johnson. Even with some growing pains he is looking good.
Dropped a pick last week. And he jumped that route.

1 Like

IMO the organizational problem still exists, we have to have coaches who have the experience and expertise to develop our core players. Year two will be easier for CMA and hopefully he will learn from his mistakes. One big mistake IMO, like many people new to a leadership position, is their failure to hire top quality people under them. Their success is often determined by those subordinates. For example, I don’t know the Receivers coach, but a promoted graduate assistant who is still learning does not bring the knowledge and skill of a successful veteran. Hence, perhaps the failure to make half-time adjustments, failure to improve blocking, route running, and slower development of younger players. This is a position that is crucial to the success of our offense.
When I began to look over the current coaching staff qualifications and experience I was reminded of a statement from early on when Herman arrived. The gist was he had compiled a list of potential coaches he would hire when he was offered a head coaching position. That included a guy he had never met but had researched and vetted. The coach he wanted for DC, was a coach whose defenses had always been highly ranked at every level he had coached. He’d never met Orlando but Herman knew at this level to he needed and wanted a top coach at every position. I hope CMA wlli take time to learn that his and UH’s success will be based on having the highest quality of coaches at every position. Go Coogs!

3 Likes

Each HC has a budget for assistants. CMA has to diversify his staff. Just like any other HC. It’s a balancing act. You need to have a few young guys who get paid minimum so you can stay within budget. Obviously a school paying a HC 7 Mil will also have a bigger budget for assistants.
Something you elude to bothers me. And your certainly not the only one to do it. So many fans are so quick to assume that player development or underachievement is on coaches. Why do we assume that a guy who was given 4 stars is actually that good? Scouting services are never wrong? Can they measure heart? Can they tell if a guy is gonna fold when for the first time in his life he has to compete for a spot against players as talented as him?

2 Likes

You are absolutely correct. We do tend to “blame” the coaching staff for development failures, etc. In reality, there are likely at least some cases where the player is just not as talented or committed as we might expect. Just hard to tell the difference sometimes.

1 Like

Good coaches often, but not always, recognize talent in practice.
Briles got a pass it seemed on the Blake Joseph/Case Keenum competition. Seems most of the fans figured it out before Art did. But we were down for a long time before his arrival so he got a pass.

Levine anointing JOK was not bad when he had Meechum as OC. When the O changed under Bush we needed a guy who could make his own offense. That was Ward. And he almost saved CTLs bacon.

Coach Tom Herman, like Coach Sumlin NEVER had to decide who was going to lead the team during their tenures at UH.

No doubt CTH got great performance out of CTL’s players and elevated everyone. But would he have started KA over DK to start the season THIS year? Who knows. He has had a tough time deciding on QBs at UT.

Sometimes you are handed the keys to a nice Used Camry and you tinker and make it work better. Other time you get a brand new Corvette and just push on the gas.

1 Like

My perspective is not just as a fan but as an educator whose 45 years of education experience has been about bringing out the best in students. To accomplish that goal requires the hiring of the best teachers available and hiring those with the potential to become “among the best educators”. Experience doesn’t necessarily mean excellence but, teachers who strive continuously strive to grow to be amongst the best bring a greater opportunity and chance to get their students to high levels of achievement. IMO coaches are first and foremost teachers. They must teach and emphasize the skills and knowledge of the game. And, great coaches and great educators can motivate and accomplish amazing success with even those mediocre 2* & 3* players. A rookie teacher/coach may have great potential but does not possess the experience, “bag of tricks (knowledge) experience brings” to be able to achieve at the same level as the master teacher/coach. Budgetary restraints may have played a bearing but if they did it is also a reflection of CMA’s thought process. The good news is that he appears to be willing to make changes during the year. Post season staff moves will tell us some about his growth as a head coach. Go Coogs!

3 Likes

This. Times a million. People keep living in la-la land and assuming we are miles above everyone in this conference, talent wise. We’re not. We’re in the top half, but the gap has been narrowed, bc other teams have hired “hot shot” coaches who can recruit as well. If we get a couple guys in that can’t play, it’s gonna show up.

2 Likes

The Florida schools in particular are on par with us when it comes to recruiting. Facilites - say what you want about the “bounce house”, but UCF is our rival. UCF is in Orlando, hot recruiting area, good facilities, good leadership, attractive market.

1 Like

I agree. I think UCF is our rival as far as bells and whistles. Here’s to hoping Frost takes the job with the Gators. lol

This is correct, we are near the top, but UCF/USF have better talent on paper. According to 247 composite rankings:

2013 - 2nd in conference (few redshirts left from here)
2014 - 5th
2015 - 7th
2016 - 1st
2017 - 4th

2018 - currently 4th

The benefit for us is the top teams are usually USF, UCF, Cincy who are not in our division. Memphis is around the same as us, but we consistently get more talent than all the other west teams. The coaching change hurt us in 2015 and 2017 also. Finding the right talent, developing it, and utilizing it correctly are more important than rankings though.

I agree. Strong was recruiting the high star players at UT-Austin for years, and rarely at positions of need. Now coach liar is dealing with attrition and depth issues all over his roster. lol Mainly on the D-Line (the most important part of Orlando’s 3-4). I agree, stars don’t necessarily mean successful players. There’s some guys coming in that I wonder how they didn’t get more offers. We even had guys in our 2017 class that are going to be good for us: Duke, Bynum, Willis-Dalton, Stuard, and Anenih etc.