King is a stud talent, just not in this system

He was terrible. No touch.

3 Likes

Single space is fine, just make sure your punctuation is correct.

1 Like

Then why didn’t he stay ? I love DK, I appreciate everything he has done representing UH but he is not a stud QB, he is a stud athlete. I think he chose to leave because he knew he couldn’t perfect the system and as other posters have stated m if he wants to be a 5:10 QB in the NFL he needs to be able to do more than read one and then run.

I went back and watched a little bit of the OU season opener to see where I thought things went wrong offensively.

First off, is CDH ever going to allow our quarterbacks to check out of a bad play at the line of scrimmage or does coach make every decision like it’s high school football? OU showed blitz too early on multiple occasions but instead of D’eriq quickly checking to a different play, our players had to look over to the sidelines to see if the coaches wanted to change the play. By the time the coaches signaled in the new play, the defense was able to check out of their blitz.

CDH likes to pull the guard and tackle on certain pass players to give the defense a run look. The only issue with that was that our 5’8 quarterback couldn’t see anything with all of the lineman pulling around.

Our offensive center ruined a lot of time with all of the low snaps.

D’eriq King does not like to be hit in the pocket. When he felt pressure, he would either take off and run or throw the ball off of his back foot without getting his feet set.

In my opinion, D’eriq King is not difficult to scheme against if you have a talented linebacker that can shadow D’eriq all game long. I would run Cover 2 like OU did and take away the deep ball because that is where D’eriq can really hurt you in a hurry in the passing game. Then you keep a QB spy on him at all times like OU did with Kenneth Murray Jr. to minimize King’s ability to scramble. Once you force D’eriq into a short passing game then that’s ideal because he will eventually throw a ball off target or get it knocked down at the line of scrimmage. D’eriq had issues in the OU game completing what should have been easy screen plays.

Why does CDH like to run trips to the short side of the field so much? With someone like D’eriq at QB, you would think you would want to use your formations to stretch out the defense and give D’eriq space to work with. CDH also ran a lot of TE sets which made it easier for OU to put numbers in the box.

Once again, anyone assessing QB talent behind our hospital Ward OL is being unreasonable. I don’t think any QB in the league would have won a lot of games here this year. Plus, Tune played hurt and barely has 3/4 of a season experience.

People want to see immediate gratification. It’s like wanting a perfect drink knowing you’re missing ingredients.

5 Likes

Agree, it’s amazing how people keep blasting Tune. In 2018 he played in 5 games but only completely played in 2 games (Memphis & Army) and small parts in TSU, ECU, & Tulane.

In 2019, he played in 7 games where he played against 5 ranked teams with a depleted squad. Yes he made mistakes but he kept us in games pretty much every game for a full 3 quarters.

Basically one season where he was thrown into situations that were not ideal. People are entitled to their opinion but need some perspective.

2 Likes

The people you mentioned proved they could make multiple reads in college.

Kingsbury did do it with Johnny Manziel, but I think that had more to do with having the best offensive line in the country and studs at WR who would catch anything within 10 yards of them. I was always confused why there was so much hype behind Manziel after watching him play. He would dance around behind the line for 5-10 seconds with no pressure on him and then just throw the ball as far as he could. Mike Evans would track it from across the field and make a play.

1 Like

@WacoCoog

Why leave? He said, “it’s what’s best for me and my family” I’m not going to try and be a mind reader and neither should anyone else.

Why would anyone leave the 3rd COACH that they’ve had in 4 years at a program that they love and committed to over stronger programs?

Remember, this is the same guy that broke KYLER MURRAY’S passing touchdown record, DK passed for over 10k yards in high school, and accounted for almost TWO HUNDRED touchdowns in his high school career. He is quietly confident as HELL! maybe overly Confident!

Over the past few years, he has watched KYLER(heisman/nfl), Baker(heisman/nfl), Jalen hurts transfer and shine on the national stage. He even had to watch his high school back up (Trask@florida) become the SEC story of the year.

If I were a betting man, I’d bet he didn’t leave due not believing that he can be successful in CDH’s offense
 I would bet that he left because he see’s himself as good or better than the aforementioned players. I’d bet that that he believes that there a better COACHES and PROGRAMS that would give him a better opportunity to make it to the league.

Don’t you think for one minute this guy doubts his ability to be a QB and make it to the league.

The guys I mentioned all transfered bc of their circumstances. Not their ability to learn or play QB in a specific system.

Why does DK have to be different?

1 Like

It’s kind of hard to say that we didn’t adjust the offense to fit his talents when he didn’t play enough games to really make that happen.

A lot of the offensive failures can be put on someone other than the QB, but the repeated bad throws that should have been easy completions were squarely on the QB. I believe it was largely related to being out due to injury, but at this point, I don’t care. He quit and left.

4 Likes

Agreed

He quit. If he didn’t want to redshirt he would have pouted Holy Hell at the idea. I’m certain it was either his or his dad’s idea. I base that on deductive argument.

For the record Clayton didn’t quit. He went out and threw haymakers, hurt and not hurt. We whimper and lament all the bad guys that stab us in the back. And when a young, unseasoned, albeit very talented young man goes out and takes multiple rounds for us we say he doesn’t have the “it” factor.

Hell, I say he epitomizes the “it” factor. At least in terms of loyalty and duty.

10 Likes

I’d add to that: When we needed a QB for the bowl game his freshman year, and it meant forfeiting his redshirt, he did it. He hasn’t said a word about it. It was going to be a butt-kicking regardless. But he did it.

He may or may not be the next Keenum, but he’s got character. I like him.

10 Likes

Lol I love this! So many Coogs on here have ordered ice tea without ice, but want to cry about it not being cold!