King to Miami - confirmed

This is such a random place to go and such a quick a change. I guess we’ll never know what went down during the season. When does spring ball start? I need some football hype this year. XFL?

Maybe the Manny Diaz persona grabbed him after playing for Herman

We should have just let King play out his Senior year with us. Of course he transferred. We opened up the possibility when we redshirted him and allowed him time to graduate, which made him eligible to play immediately. King wouldn’t have been able to transfer otherwise. Dumb.

1 Like

You can’t force him on the field.

7 Likes

We could have benched him for all I care. It served UofH no purpose to afford King this opportunity. It makes our program look like what Pete Thamel called us. It doesn’t look like we know what we’re doing.

I don’t disagree, but if what has come out is true, and the redshirt was King (and his dad’s) idea there isn’t much you can do. He was essentially benched. Kicking him off the team would’ve been even worse press.

3 Likes

We didn’t have to appease King. If it was his families idea we should have cut ties immediately, kicked him off the team, and not allowed him to facilitate Miami football by working out in our facilities. I don’t believe CDH would go for that if he knew King was transferring. He got a fast one pulled on him. No doubt King had something up his sleeve the whole time. When sling said he never thought about transferring it’s because he couldn’t transfer unless we came up with some boneheaded idea to redshirt a Senior starting QB. We opened the door to exit the program this way.

Once his dad let the cat out of the bag, it was a no win situation for everybody. King riding the bench, or cutting him off makes us look very petty in a public setting.

Kept in house this could’ve been managed easily, Daddy King screwed everyone PR wise.

4 Likes

This is the way I see it. No matter the response to the situation a group of people will be upset.

4 Likes

It’s moot now, but had King decided to go to LSU:

1. I never pull against LSU unless they are playing UH.
  2. I will never, ever, under any circumstances pull for UT.
2 Likes

I’d prefer our University’s reputation be one of honor, dignity, professionalism, and respect. King spent his years here until this year dedicated and toiling to make Coog football a winner and the UH is better for his efforts and commitment. We should respect and honor his previous work and loyalty by treating him with same dignity you would any other player on the team in that situation.
Like many of the current seniors he was given a raw deal by the adults he trusted. High school recruits expect to sign with an university and maintain the relationship with the staff that recruited them.

Imagine signing with a company where you been recruited and then the manager who hired you gets replaced or leaves and you start all over with a new boss only to have them leave and the next new boss wants you to totally adapt to a new process again.
Take the high road, thank him for his dedication and effort and wish him well. He paid his debt to the UH. I wish you well young man. Thanks for the memories. Go Coogs.

9 Likes

He can do whatever he wants, but as far as I’m concerned he lied. He could have handled all of this much better.

2 Likes

Grass isn’t always greener in Miami…

1 Like

People are really worried about perception? Even if things went perfect with King, there would have been a group of nonsensical individuals who pointed out something they thought was funny or didnt like about UH. I’m one of the younger alumns and even I know this. Imagine a world where UH was loved by all.

Perception is the least of our worries. Edit: if Baylor can survive the devilish hells of their former culture, I think one QB transfer won’t put us under.

Winning in 2020 is much more important, and whether you support this move or not, winning can be done without King.

8 Likes

If he asked for the redshirt, CDH said no and then King said he was transferring because CDH wouldn’t let him stay on the team after redshirting, CDH would have been ripped to shreds. Worse than the crap he got for tanking, especially if D’eriq plays well next year and we struggle.

Does every coach that has a commit flip on him “get played” and should have never offered that player in the first place?

2 Likes

Some day Corbin should write a tell all book about the whole situation. I feel like he should have some good inside info.

3 Likes

Doubt there’d be enough demand for a book, but I’d love a long Coogfans OP about it.

Maybe a pamphlet.

2 Likes

There’s about 10 books started here already. Read on!!

1 Like