KU next domino?

They merge into the B1G there going to get off scout free. The SEC and B1G are easily powerful enough already to tell the NCAA to take their violations and cram them up where the sun doesn’t shine. NCAA gave up their authority a long time ago. It’s a matter of time until someone just does exactly that.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/1419100962631954434?s=20

Not so fast my friends !

1 Like

Not after OU/UT left and the conference disintegrated. They will stay long enough to divide the OU/UT exit money and then bail. BTW, Iowa State is also trying to go to the B1G and I think they are AAU as well.

They are AAU and their partner university of Iowa doesn’t hate them.

1 Like

Lol

I received this soon after cat got out of the bag

What would happen to the remaining members of the league if Texas and OU consummated with the SEC?

Or another league. It doesn’t matter. Pandora is out of the box.

How about a quick pulse check on our brethren post Rapture:

We’re Good

Kansas

Kansas shrugs. The Jayhawks are one of the three premier basketball schools in college hoops. It’s not that they’re good at basketball, it’s that basketball prints them money and earns them a national following. They’re also the #1 state school with a good number of living alumni. This is the key understanding. Blue bloods with big hoops revenue and a passionate fanbase. They’re not worried. The Big 10 beckons. This isn’t hard.

Yep, that’s the end of the we’re good list.

This Is Our Concern, Dude

Oklahoma State
West Virginia
Iowa State
Texas Tech

No conference NEEDS any of these schools. Exactly none of them. None are awful, but they aren’t compelling.

Oklahoma State has good facilities and a strong commitment to athletics, but lacks demographic appeal. Can they sink hooks into OU through the Okie legislature and force an invite to the SEC? Might have a shot. I don’t pretend to know the power brokers there. Would the SEC take them to get OU and Texas? Duh.

West Virginia will have a shot at the ACC (or SEC if they need numbers to balance a Cowboy tag along) because of proximity, decent sports, number of living graduates, but if not, welcome to the AAC. It’s closing time and they’re a 5.5 with a decent personality.

Speaking of 5.5s…Iowa State is the #2 school in Iowa. So, you know. They do have moderate demographic appeal and rejuvenated sports. Can they talk their way into the Big 10? They could be the balance-the-numbers throw-in with Kansas. Or maybe Matt Campbell gets back to MAC domination!

Texas Tech better start working hard on their pitch. They lack a natural geographic partner and aren’t good enough in any one area to demand attention. Better circle the wagons boys, because it’s a Comanche moon and I think you’re low on ammo.

Sheer Terror
Kansas State
TCU
Baylor

Kansas State is a weaker, less appealing version of the state schools above. This isn’t about occasional plucky athletic overachievement. No one cares.

Now is not the time to be a religious affiliated private school with tertiary market imprint, few living alumni, and no television sets. Baylor has solid facilities and some winning sports. No one cares and aspects of their culture are toxic to academic elites. “But Baylor won the national title in hoops!” is the retort. Cool. Who did they beat to do it? Gonzaga. What conference are the Zags in? Right. Let’s move along…

“TCU has good football!” Actually, not really anymore. And who cares? They have 43 alumni and can’t even bring DFW television sets. Did you just mention college baseball? That’s adorable.

The American Athletic Conference is about to have a really nice expansion. Will the Mountain West finally be heard as a true power broker!

If things look bleak for our current partners post Texas and OU departure, perhaps that’s an indication why they shouldn’t be our conference partners?

16 Likes

I believe someone posted in another thread that it takes a supermajority of the remaining schools to dissolve the conference, so unless they all go to P4 homes, someone will probably get a decent payout.

Of the schools remaining
KU and ISU are AAU
KSU OSU TT WVU are R1
TCU and Baylor are R2

This is correct. If six of the remaining eight find homes, then Baylor and K-State (or whoever) can still rebuild as long as they can find the teams. And with the exit money they get, they’ll be able to offer money to attract teams if they need to.

This all depends on whether the dominoes fall gradually or rapidly. If the Kansas to B1G rumors pan out, they BigXII might be able to poach AAC schools before that gets done. If so, they would never be able to dissolve because they wouldn’t fall under the 8 required members if my understanding serves me correctly.

In regards to whom you say adds value to any given conference, I 100% agree.

The B10 is a neighboring conference to the B12. It shares viewers. They might look at a weakened B12 w/KU as more profitable than having to split money with KU and only derive revenue 33% of the year.

2 Likes

We aren’t even mentioned… even if they expand with Kansas and Oklahoma State, the state of Texas would be contiguous.

We really needed to be relevant in football right now.
Yet somehow, we let a Heisman caliber QB become disgruntled

1 Like

Can’t imagine Okie State (not AAU), and Syracuse (dropped out of AAU in lieu of getting kicked out) getting invites.

Huge drop in academic standards.

Why ND prefers rapprochement with the ACC over full membership in their current hockey conference (B1G) is semi-incomprehensible.

Not really. Except for a handful of football games, they are in the ACC (hoops and baseball), but they maintain the fiction of being independent. The ACC gets some cool games with ND, and ND gets to play make-believe.

:joy: I actually like TT, but the writer nailed it and gets bonus points for historical and geographic context

1 Like

ND brings both NYC and Chicago

Would Syracuse, a formerly-AAU school, really represent such a big drop in standards for the B1G? They already have Nebraska, who joined the conference on thin ice with the AAU, and was voted out shortly after.

Notre Dame likes it’s semi-independence in football so they can continue their rivalries — USC annually since 1926 (except '43), Navy annually since 1927 (the longest continuous rivalry in college football), Stanford annually since 1988, Purdue since 1896, etc.

2 Likes

Not to mention that sweet NBC contract

1 Like