Kyle Allen - Season 3 (Traded to Washington)

Looks like 2 Coogs starting at QB in NFL week 3.
" it appears that they’ll in fact have to turn to Kyle Allen for Sunday’s game against the Cardinals."

2 Likes

Good for Kyle! I hope he does well, he’s a good young man who was put in a bad situation here – square peg, round hole.

7 Likes

I don’t want to discredit K Allen for his ability. I’m glad he came to UofH. Sorry it didn’t work out. Obviously being highly recruited he has some skill, but it’s possible the scouts missed on him. It’s very likely he was overrated coming out of high school. I do think it should be noted that he failed to remain the starter at two (2) different schools. Dude couldn’t start in college and somehow still has a chance to start in the NFL. Interesting.

1 Like

It’s possible he wasn’t overrated but he didnt mesh with his colleges. I think from his current position it’s obvious that that’s a distinct possibility. He was a good coog on and off the field when he was at UH.

8 Likes

3 QBs who played under Kevin Sumlin starting in the NFL…

2 Likes

He was a heck of a lot better transfer QB than QD. Duh, wait King is really good. I’m transferring.

2 Likes

Those QBs had success despite of Sumlin. Lol

You have to give Allen credit for taking the demotion in stride, keeping his mouth shut and for the most part being a team player on the bench.

7 Likes

He had 2 terrible coaches for 2 separate reasons

Trying to wrap my head around Kyle Allen starting this week vs the Cards.

So Kyle who’s from Arizona signs with A&M only to lose his job to Kyler Murray after coach Sumlin promised it to Murray. Kyle then transfers to Sumlin’s former school just before Murray who also transfers, to OU, where he succeeds Mayfield, who transferred from Sumlin’s protege Kliff Kingsbury’s program due to some guy named Mahomes. With his 2nd college team, Kyle goes to Arizona, beats their new coach Sumlin, but then is later benched again in a loss to Kingsbury. Two years later Kingsbury is in Arizona professionally, coaching his starting rookie QB Murray, who could face Kyle Sunday, in his second NFL start.

16 Likes

5 Likes

Ha! :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1174405013659144192?s=20

3 Likes

That he’s playing and starting in the NFL is a statement to just how gawd awful his college coaches were

6 Likes

Bad coaching doesn’t explain why the non-NFL QBs that replaced him dramatically outperformed him.

I think it’s more a testament to the fact that the NFL is so set in its ways. KA always had every one of the physical tools; his weakness was reading defenses. How many times have NFL coaches been convinced, completely apropos of nothing, that that was a problem they could fix? Osweiler, Leaf, Russell, and Grossman all come to mind as similar examples. Not that KA is going to be among those names, but you get the idea.

2 Likes

ESPN had an article on Allen starting this week and noted that Allen had the 3rd best QBR for first-time starters in his start last season. QBR tracking started in 2006. His rating in his first start was higher than Watson’s and Rodger’s first start.

1 Like

Lookin pretty good

https://twitter.com/panthersbill/status/1175883042822344709?s=21

6 Likes

Outstanding so far and yes one tackle!

2 Likes