Larry Scott Out as PAC 12 Commissioner

If he moved on he would be PAC not AAC.

If he was Pac then he would do what he could to keep us out of the PAC. No thanks.

Scott led the charge on expansion and the regional cable networks. Neither one of them was a financial windfall.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s accurate at all. Scott was behind going after (and nearly getting) the Big 12 schools. He was the reason Colorado and Utah were added to pair with the Pac 12 network.

What doomed Scott was not agreeing to give a distribution partner a stake in the Pac-12 network to presumably have more upside for the schools/conference. That worked out very, very poorly.

Somethings going on and with realignment around the corner and Scott out, it seems they want someone who can expand in the central time zone which is there only hope of increasing revenue and viewership. They could create an eastern div with us and the Arizona schools. Texas won’t go to the pac bc they have all options and Texas doesn’t want the late games. We on the other hand will take what’s given.

3 Likes

I would think Luck would be good for us. He hired Dana and has so many connections to Houston. Not sure why he would have negative feelings towards UH?

They could have added G5 schools WITH Larry Scott if they so choosed. Expansion brings in eyeballs, but it also brings in more mouths to feed. They’re not going to expand unless they think it’ll be a home run, a la a big brand name.

1 Like

Tillman is going to help negotiate and we can pay the entry fee and it isn’t about a team adding 50 or 30 mil initially. It’s about future growth potential, recruiting areas and new markets which we have.

See link.

No way Rutgers added 30 mil or 50 mil initially to the the big 10. It was about new markets, growth potential and recruiting grounds. There are ways to skin a cat by delaying full payouts.

2 Likes

It’s not about what how much $$$ we could prove that we would add…it’s whatever makes the networks happy.

1 Like

It would be like this. We don’t go in asking for 30 million on day one. We could prob ask for the 7 to 8 mil we’re getting now bc that is what espn values us now and then we make a deal to wait 5 or so yrs for gradual increases in the future based on growth. We’d no doubt become a major player in that league in 5 yrs with a fuller stadium, recruiting etc. Rutgers is the ex and they aren’t really a p5 , they just have the market and recruiting and people in the know, will see Houston has a higher ceiling which is why the big 12 was scared to add us. They backed out due to fear not that we didn’t have the metrics.

2 Likes

Why hasn’t an invite already been made?

I am talking about RECENTLY!!
Long ago, Scott tried to get 6 schools to join, and got made to look foolish by Aggie and Texas, ending up with only 2. SINCE then, he has been against adding schools. I agree that Scott’s PAC 12 network has worked poorly for what was anticipated.
Majority of PAC presidents favor expansion, Scott didnt… Now he is gone…
and an invite hasnt been made because…FOR the100th TIME… PAC tv deal doesnt expire till 2024.

1 Like

You realize having a tv deal doesn’t prohibit you from adding teams, right? A&M, Mizzou, West Virginia, TCU, Rutgers and Maryland were all brought on to existing TV contracts.

1 Like

That’s true bc they had easy pickings then with members of the big 12 that they knew were unhappy . This time around they have less to choose from but they will expand bc each conf will want more then espn says what new markets and then they decide together. I think UH will have multiple bids by 2023 or 2024. Fluglar, the Minnesota guy on twitter thinks so as well. We just have to wait a few more yrs but the pac commish being outed is a good sign that the pac wants to expand and explore how to get back some ground lost, they wouldn’t oust him if not.

It helps that we have a top 10 caliber basketball program to join their conference.

3 Likes

I would guess that UH will not have to worry about an invitation to join the PAC-12 for a while.

We’ll find out in the nest year or so

It seems like the “PAC 12 invite is coming” is kind of like a doomsday cult and there’s always some reason it doesn’t happen but also always some event that is a sign it’s coming in the future

I’d be pretty shocked if we wind up there unless it’s something weird like the Big 12 grabs the Arizona schools, USC, and UCLA and the conference needs to backfill.

I think that our best chance to wind up in a better situation is the Big 10 grabs Texas and OU and we end up in the Big 12 to back fill.

5 Likes

USC and UCLA aren’t going to part with Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington in order to play Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, and TCU. Pipe dream from the plains.

6 Likes