Latest USNEWS Law School Rankings

https://www.law.uh.edu/news/spring2020/0317Rankings.asp

Not bad.

#56 overall out of 194 accredited law schools.

#3 in Health Law
#5 in Intellectual Property Law
#12 in Part-Time
#26 in both Environmental Law and Tax Law
#34 in Contracts and Commercial Law
#44 in Trial Advocacy
#46 in International Law

Tied for #3 overall in Texas with SMU behind only UT (#16) and Baylor (#50)

Others in Texas:

aTm: #60
Texas Tech: #111
South Texas: Bottom Tier
St. Mary’s: Bottom Tier
TSU: Bottom Tier
North Texas: Unranked

2 Likes

I have to ask about number 12. is that par-time students or is part-time law a thing, like Petticoat Junction?

Texas S&M has a law school?

TAM law school is in downtown Ft Worth. They took over Texas Wesleyan University’s program several years ago.

Ya know, it’s funny.

Texas Wesleyan used to be literally a BOTTOM TIER law school until aTm bought them.

Now, in just a handful of years, they’ve risen to the Top 60.

Not all law schools have part-time programs.

Of those that do, UH is #12.

My Father, who had a successful 37 year solo law practice, was a graduate of that program.

1 Like

Link to the list:

56 by U.S. News

39 by The Best Law Schools for BigLaw Jobs – $180,000 a year (2019)

1 Like

Money and a brand name’ll do that for ya.

Not sure anyone on here could answer these questions but…
1 Did they hire better faculty and dismiss others ?
2 Are they publishing more or being cited more often ?
3 Have they raised admission standards ?

Or is it really just name and money that accounts for the big jump ? Note , I did not read the article so if it answers these questions…forgive my laziness.

They have raised their admission standards significantly compared to what they were back in the Texas Weslayan days.

Of course, one of the reasons that they’ve been able to is because the name “Texas A&M” is far more attractive to applicants than the name “Texas Weslayan” was, and that gives them a far larger pool of potential rejectees.

Also, with aTm’s financial backing, they now have far more resources at their disposal as well. I was classmates with Tony Buzbee. He’s been good to UH; he represented UHLC pro bono in its law suit to block South Texas from stealing our name, and has taught classes there. But when it came time to donate the millions that he’s won in practice, he donated it to aTm’s new law school, and by and large not to ours.

GOD DAMMIT!!!

UH used to be clearly the best Intellectual Property Law School in Texas (I took four such courses there back in the Mid-90s). Now, aTm law school is neck and neck with us in that field.

1 Like

Interesting. I see on wiki that he got his
undergraduate degree from aTm - so I kinda
understand. And I saw where he is/was on the aggie board of regents. But yeah his $$$ could have arguably been put to better use at UH.

1 Like

It appears that the median grant amount for students at the TAMU school is 18 k compared to 10 k at UH according to US News. I was told Several years ago that new laws schools needed to emphasize grants to be competitive especially as the market for new attorneys was decreasing

That’s one area where TAMUs resources pro bay made a big difference.

1 Like

I am a UH law school graduate in 1975, and I want to say is after the bar exam knowledgeable people in the legal profession said the class was the best that had come along in a long time regardless of school. I had the chance to be taught criminal law by Richard Racehorse Haynes himself. So I got a good education. So I wish that quality of instructors is that good or way better.

Is the drop in UHLC’s ranking in IP Law due to the departure of a few well known professors? I seem to recall one of the better known IP Law profs at UHLC leaving to become dean of a law school.

One place where I think UHLC is also underrated (assuming you put much stock in USNWR rankings) is in tax law. I have mentioned this before, but I visited UHLC in 2006 (graduated from Iowa Law) and now work with some UH Tax LLM grads. Based on my own experiences, the school and the grads are very impressive. UH should be pushing this more.

We haven’t dropped much in IP. Still #5.

The top IP professors from the mid 90s like Paul Janicke (Patents) and Craig Joyce (Copyrights) are still there.