Let us never forget

I’ll never forget this game. We were sitting next to a geezer who used a cane.

Every time we scored, he’d pound that cane up and down screaming “RUN IT UP, RUN IT UP”.

His arm must have been exhausted after that beat down :joy:

2 Likes

I’m glad I watched it from the stands. After watching this tape and listening to the UT cheerleaders do the announcing, I would have been hacked off watching it on TV. Except for the beatdown of course.

This is a rare find. I didn’t even remember this game being televised. Houston V Texas in 1979. In the dome. Our only loss that year. If we would have won this game we would have won the national championship.

I don’t even remember Showtime Plus Sports.

It is cool to see the dome packed and rocking like it was that night.

This is a remarkable broadcast. It was on early cable TV so the broadcast doesn’t have commercials so there is a lot focusing on the crowd and the sidelines. It really gives you the feel of what a Saturday night in the Dome during the hey day of SWC football was really like.

3 Likes

Even though we lost you can see how a well coached, disciplined and talented teams is supposed to perform. If not for Brown’s bad throw interceptions we would have won the game.
Thanks for posting. My 3 sons, now grown, were all at the game. The youngest, a robust poster on here, was 3 years old.

2 Likes

I have no doubts whatsoever if we given the chance to compete in the SEC that after a few seasons we would dominate it. Call me all you want. I do not care. The ever growing greater Houston area talent pool is why the utau pimp, okie, atm, LSU to a certain extent want us the furthest away possible.
For the naysayers I will always, always and yes always bring you this from Head Coach Switzer:
Switzer envisions Houston, in the Big 12, making a similar ascent.

“Only 85 players, and you’ve got 340 million people in the United States and the talent that’s coming out of high schools now,” Switzer said. “Everybody gets good. Don’t give them credibility. I’ve always said if I could get the top 30 players that came out of Houston every year, I’d play for the national championship every year.”

He, Head Coach Switzer knows more about football than I, you or every naysayers combined on Coogfans.

You understand why my angst toward the rodent and the utau pimp. What the rodent has done is redefined college football. It is not based on sports but strictly on alliances. How many other league(s) operate this way? None. The rodent is killing college football and most viewers do not even recognize it.

Those were good days. The oil boom was on and everyone was doing well. Houston was probably a 1/4 of the size it is now so it was big enough but it still felt like a reasonably sized town. The Coogs on saturday night. Church on sunday morning if you weren’t too hungover from saturday night. Regardless you were watching to Oilers at noon.

If you look at when the Coogs did well, it was when we had facilities that could compete - Astrodome and Hofheinz. I believe we should be heading back into a renaissance since our facilities have been upgraded. Coach Sampson is working on updates to the Fertitta center already to keep it relevant. It will be rocking again this season. We need football to get rolling again.

The 1979 UH team was special, winning at UCLA, beating Florida at the Dome and Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl.
If I remember correctly, didn’t Texas beat us that year because they blocked two UH punts?

2 Likes

1979 was our best team. When I watched that video it brought back how physical the mad dogs were. Those hits in that video were vicious on both sides.

1 Like