Let's talk UCF

I still don’t get the point of passing at will. That Navy is a run team isn’t a surprise to anyone so I’m not sure why people keep wanting to state the obvious. Just because we shut down their run doesn’t mean they passed at will. It just means they found it necessary to pass more and they did a mediocre job at it. Passing at will is a bit of an overestimate for what was an average at best passing game

I feel the exact opposite. Improved? They’ve been getting torched. Don’t look at their # of stars coming out of HS or what program they attended before UH, they need to show up on gameday. They’ve been lackluster thus far.

2 Likes

Wonder if both schools will have unique space themed uniforms?

We’ve already announced we are wearing black for Halloween.

ESPN Plus $5 to watch the game on TV (1 month subscription)

Hopefully, the Coogs can figure out how to run the ball better. Definitely a concern from the Navy game.

Honest question have you watched navy football at any point in the last 6 years…

Second question did you actually watch the game…

3rd question…did you account for tunes 4qt struggles vs byu when we go in desperation mode to say he had a “bad game”

Passing wise that was one of the best passing games by A navy qb… remove a few desperation passes in the end, and he was tearing us up at will… whats worse is that if the navy QB was more accurate he missed on a few passes, including TWO td pass that he overthrew but had a player wide open… the int in the game/was a drop by their WR that bounced up…our DBs weren’t stopping them

That was a dreadful performance by our secondary with any remote context (what Navy is, their QB is a runner, remove the despartion last few minutes) and not nitpicking stats to make yourself feel better

Butch I agree. We could use a difference maker at RB.

It used to be running backs grew on trees in Texas. I know the game has changed but you don’t see many great running backs locally like you used to.

1 Like

I would say your honest questions aren’t very honest. I would also say it must suck to find fault in a win. Myself, I will enjoy the win for what it was, a defeat of one of the teams in our conference that was 3-0 conference play.
You? Not so much evidently

3 Likes

I agree. I hate to sound negative after a W but the schedule is about to get tougher.

okay, just say you are choosing to celebrate, and look at the positive …brag about the run defense, how that looks amazing…but dont pretend the secondary looked good

we knew going into the navy game the run defense has been amazing, but pass defense was suspect… navy on paper was supposed to be a run only team…going in everyone knew we had the advantage

are supposed to ignore ucf is an elite passing team, and that weve struggle to stop the pass because we stopped a running team??

So many “what if’s” I cant keep up with all your evidence that our secondary sucks.
In a nutshell:
Navy is a triple option team
We significantly reduced their run ability therefore…
Navy was FORCED to pass
Guess what happens when a team has to get out of their normal game plan. Hint:they lose

You select one part of our team to blast and say nothing about a good win or nothing positive about the rest of the team. Some people can find fault in most anything. We should elect you CEO of the anti Pollyanna Train. We need your attitude to add to the far end of the Bell Distribution Curve. Thanks for making it happen

2 Likes

I don’t think we will stop UCF, but I can’t see them having a better offense than BYU. I think our defense slows them down just enough and we win 45-35. Our run defense is legit. Just need to tighten things up on the back end, which I think we will.

not a good game to judge secondary… 1 missing vaugh and greenberry, and we geared everything to stop the run vs navy and dared them to throw. i think coaches knew we would give up a few big pass plays that way but still win.
you won’t see the same gameplan vs ucf, and hopefully we have deontay back

Solid safeties blew a couple assignments allowing the TE to come off the line uncovered and we destroyed their offense for the most part and and we got passed on with ease by Navy? This means we are poorly coached and our safeties are terrible. Some of you should stop talking

We also shutdown BYU for a long stretch of the game before a good qb made some big plays as the momentum swung.
The Tulane offense had one drive where he just made great throws on good coverage and same goes for the first play fluke.

We have had some early season communication issues on a few plays and have other teams use our over aggression against us at times. This defense is good and maybe really good by the end of the season.

2 Likes

first off im not selecting one part of our team to blast…i comping us to UCF…
if we were playing cincy who is actually run heavy id note we’d be able to stop their run game

this is a thread looking at our matchup vs ucf.…ucf is extremely prolific passing team. they are putting up crazy passing stats and they will be the 1st pass first team we will play this year… this isnt a celebration threads

im just going to guess you are a casual football fan and not try to explain to you why our pass defense has been bad…we currently are allowing the best opposing passer rating per game in the conference . 2 of our 3 games were vs a true freshman on his second game, and a a triple option qb…but have at it

Guessing we will not allow the ucf receivers to come off the line uncovered.
One reason one has to look deeper than some early season skewed stats on production.

problem with guessing, like you are doing with our secondary and with Tunes play (you blasted him earlier) is you are often wrong. To think you could explain anything to anyone other than how terrible we are is laughable.
Tunes numbers are quite good. His QBR is 14th in the country. If you have a better stat to grade a QB then let us know. ESPN would probably be interested as well. In the meantime, just keep that negativity coming.

Were I a casual fan, it would be far better than being a naysayer that cant enjoy a win but instead must point out anything negative.

1 Like

That is disappointing…yeah I get its Halloween but there was talk about both schools doing spaced themed uniforms after last year’s game.

i never blasted tune… i said i think he is average, i even noted he isnt bad and makes big plays here and there…but he doesnt bring it on a constant basis like some of our previous qbs…i still feel that way…
like i said enjoy your win,.dont see your point in this thread if you cant comp strengths and weakness of the next opponent