Looking Ahead

The sims had Coogs as solid to overwhelming favorites in 17 of the 18 games going into the conference season (and yes, this included all four match-ups vs. Wichita State and Memphis). Only simulated blemish was at Cincinnati, which came out on top in 63% of total matchups. I’m still gonna stick with no worse than 13-5, although I see the Coogs as the favorites in 12 of the remaining 13 (at Memphis only exception). I’ll call that roadie and maybe also the Cincy road game as the likely defeats. Maybe Wichita gets payback at FC on Feb. 9; they may also have another head-scratcher in them, too. Like with Tulsa, anything is possible, I guess. But I feel good about no worse than 13-5.

Too pessimistic. This team goes 15-3, at worst 14-4. If they play like at Wichita, I think nobody beats them, but that’s a long-shot.

2 Likes

A lot will come down to how much we improve against zone defenses. We still haven’t proven that we can beat one, and more teams will switch to playing zone just for us.

2 Likes

I have watched some of last year’s games via YouTube.

We are not quite at that level. But we also are not all that far off.Grimes could be the key.

If “Q” gets going would make a big difference.

2 Likes

Home 7-0
Road 3-3
That gives us 15 -3. Very doable. 4 of the 6 road games may be considered tough or dangerous

Current record: 17-4.

Looking ahead at the next three games, I believe we will possibly lose one, but we’re capable of winning all three. I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost to Cincy or WSU.
@ Cincy - Toss-up, lean towards loss.
Tulane - Win
WSU - Toss up, lean towards win

19-5 or 20-4.

I see us going 20-4 and being in the top 15 before our next loss.

2 Likes

I look at the Conf season in halfs. Even if they were to lose at Cincy that still puts them at 7-2 in Conf at halfway point and on pace for 14-4 Conf recd. Which is where many of us had them in another thread where we were asked to predict their Conf recd. Most had them either at 14-4 or 14-5 recd so with that all is GOOD!!

With the AAC tourny and big dance, we most assuredly will reach the 30 win season, this team will finish stronger than 2019 team. They could easily be the surprise Texas team like Tech was last year.

3 Likes

Even if we finish the season 25-6 we still would need to win the AAC tournament and advance to the Sweet 16 for 30 wins.
It can be done but I am not going to bet my house on it just yet…

Let’s win at Cincinnati and sweep WSU and and some of this chatter becomes more real.

2 Likes

2019 Team went 29-2 during Reg Season :flushed:.
Finished 33-4 overall losing in last 30secs to a BlueBlood in the Sweet16. Not taking away from this yr Team so far n what they may accomplish going frwd but how is that better based on where you think they will finish vs 2019 squad !

On point!! :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The balance on this year’s team is definitely a strength. Look at the Avg Mins and PPG. Basically 5 guys averaging 10 or more points per game. And 6 guys averaging over 20 mins per game but none over 30. Also, interesting to note that the 2019-20 version of this team is shooting FTs as well as last year (it does not seem like it game-to-game though)

Last year, success was heavily dependent on Galen, Corey and Armoni:

4 Likes

just finished hte replay…we are going to miss harris alot more than we anticipated preseason when he graduates

7 Likes

I agree 100%! He’s really rounded into a nice piece of the puzzle. We’re starting to see some fire from him.

1 Like

Jess, 2019 lost 2 games down the stretch (one being sweet 16), I can see this team losing one more
reg season game, win the AAC, then make a run. Our loss in sweet 16, and I love our team last year, they were able to shut down Galen and Corey. That will be tougher to do with Mills, Jarreau, Hinton and Sasser. Our strength is depth and size. On the positive side, I noticed Broodo’s average is up .7 and he is a perfect 2-2 this year.

1 Like

Harris is a SR. There is a reason players tend to ay their best balls as SRs. See GROB and D.Davis to name a couple of recent players.

First off, I hope we make the sweet 16 again but if we do, I hope the lights aren’t too bright for Mills (RS Fresh) and Sasser (True Fresh). I think Kentucky’s size last year really gave us problems along with them shutting down Corey and Galen.

I know Mills is technically a redshirt freshman, but he would be a true freshman if he graduated with his class instead of a semester early. He did not have a true redshirt freshman year since he came in the 2nd semester. He would have been just like Sasser were it not for that half season. A true redshirt would have had the whole preseason training and 1st semester of practice.

Actually, the game went to the last 30 seconds, until Kentucky took control for good. We had a chance to take lead a win, but…I want a rematch!

1 Like