March Madness - Corona Updates (No Politics)

I’m curious if they’ll play the games in the same arena/sites now or if not, where they get moved to.

Ben, that is true, but so far as I know, in the US the only deaths are elderly people with existing underlying health problem. I wonder if the people who fall into that category should be the ones who limit their activity that include crowds. That said, I am an elderly guy with type 2 diabetes and I will be attending church tomorrow and Sunday school with a class of similar folks. I am not sure what kind of existing underlying health problems they are referring to.

3 Likes

The problem is that heathy people still come in contact with the elderly and unhealthy people.

If everyone other than the elderly and/or unhealthy continues business as usual, it’s a matter of time before it’s passed to everyone. The healthy people will be fine. Others not so much.

You either try to get ahead of this thing or you don’t.

13 Likes

Smart move by NCAA

4 Likes

This is getting silly. You can’t run and hide in caves. We should have stopped international travel to China when it first broke. However, living in fear isn’t the way to go. Next they will shut down restaurants, stores, Department Stores, hair salons, abuses, trains, etc…for fear of a sickness. I hope this pass soon, because our enemies are looking at this. We can’t shut down our lives for this disease. You would think this is the Black Plague!

4 Likes

3 Likes

It won’t kill at that rate, but would kill more people just because the world has larger population. If half the world’s population caught it then 70 million would die.
That’s why they want to slow down the spread, so they have time to make a viable vaccine that can be distributed.

5 Likes

We’ve got a pretty good preview of what this will do by looking at China, Italy and elsewhere which allows us to plan accordingly. To think it will somehow act differently here in the US is just being naive.

We’re taking steps to hopefully get out in front of all this mess. I have no issue with what they are doing.

Its unfortunate, but its necessary IMO.

7 Likes

More people died of the swine flu at this rate. More people will sadly die of the regular flue then Corona Virus. This is a great example of how we can let them media control us. Hysteria equals ratings for the media. Everything is going to be ok.

6 Likes

Mike. FYI -

While there is no proven direct connection between diabetes and death from COVID-19, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reports on a higher case-fatality rateTrusted Source among those with preexising conditions:
10.5 percent for cardiovascular disease
7.3 percent for diabetes
6.3 percent for chronic respiratory disease
6.0 percent for hypertension
5.6 percent for cancer

My Wife caught Swine Flu at the height of it. Again, we had to fight it head on and like any sickness stay at your house and recover.

2 Likes

Flu kills more cuz it affects millions. Covid-19 is 7 times deadlier, but only affects only a thousand here right now so less die. Everyone is trying to slow the infection rate so it doesn’t reach 6 million with more dead than the flu. I agree with these efforts it’ll probably be somewhat contained and less dead. That’s the goal. Hope it doesn’t infect 6 million! Media has nothing to do with the facts.
Regardless - #GoCoogs!

9 Likes

Well, I have no fear of it. If it is my time to go, then it is my time to go, however, I won’t fear this.

1 Like

I’m with you. I’m sure my wife would miss me but at least she’d be able to pay off the house and finish funding our son’s 529 plan.

Insert Monty Python “Always look on the bright side of life”

4 Likes

Well, that makes me feel a lot better about my two heart attacks. :smile:

I can’t worry about stuff like that, I have a slight headache as it is.

2 Likes

Is the AAC tourney still a go?

1 Like

I’m ok playing games without fans…as long as AAC refs fall into that category.

7 Likes

Before the NCAA put out that announcement they were going to go on with tournament as planned but take specific precautions. It will likely still go on but my guess is they are evaluating whether to allow spectators.

Yes, it has been posted by jcoop9 in 2020 Bracketology thread.

1 Like

Thanks Mike. I wonder if the conference tournaments will follow NCAA. I have read our tournament will go as planned with extra precautions and so forth.