Massoud Thread

Tune had a good game. And I’m happy for him because he needed it.

But it would be nice to give Massoud an opportunity. The kid came down to Houston last year from New York and completely trashed CFISD defenses so I’m excited to see if he can do anything at UH.

If Tune’s got it then I’m happy to let Massoud learn. But the jury is still out on that one.

2 Likes

Hey Mike, I wonder what last season would have looked like if D’Erik was allowed to run the offense that Dana ran yesterday.

see you at the playoff football game this afternoon.

2 Likes

Rick, last year King rushed 55 times for 360 yards in 4 games. That averaged 13.75 rushes per game for 90 yards/game. Yesterday Tune rushed 12 times for 120 yards; but in the previous 5 games he had rushed only 42 times which translates to 9 rushes per game total. So, actcually, King rushed much more than Tune.

Last year King’s main problem wasn’t lack of rushes, it was lack of grasp of the offense and bailing early on plays if his first read was covered. Of course the OL didn’t allow time to look for too many 2nd or 3rd reads in his progression. However, this year at Miami, he seems to be in the prefect offense for his talents and has an OL that allows him to use those talents. I am happy for him, but I care about developing Tune and don’t worry about what King does.

Like everyone else, I have no clue as to how well Tune will develop, but he looks to be getting better as he gains experience. On the other hand, if Massoud or Kopp show they are better, I am sure they will start. Obviously, Tune is our best QB at this time.

BTW, that was a good game this afternoon and I was very happy with how hard the kids played.

2 Likes

Just curious, is Tune still not the answer?

Tune is still our best answer right now, but I would really like to see all of our possible future starting QB’s get some game experience.

1 Like

if his timing on the deep route was better, we would be undefeated…he misses open receivers 80% of the time on the deep ball…if that improves UH could be a scoring machine

2 Likes

He seemed more accurate at the beginning of the season.

I think a few interceptions has him subconsciously adding a little more to his throws to avoid throwing a pick. He seems to be overthrowing a bit. I’m pretty sure it’s discussed in the film room.

If you go back and look at most all the really good QBs that Leach and Holgorsen have had, practically every one developed into a good or great one in his fourth or fifth year. I think we’ll see the same with Tune, who plays really well at times but still needs to develop consistency.

3 Likes

He was throwing deep to Speedy…who hasn’t played the last 3 games.

Tune hasn’t re-calibrated for speed.

2 Likes

Drew, he doesnt even play in a game where we have a 42-0 lead in the third quarter against USF…Explain THAT, because i cant.

1 Like

Biggest issue is getting him to look off receivers

5 Likes

Totally agree!

Tune locks on to receivers way too often.

1 Like

Yeah Monte, it’s confusing, especially considering how many players last year were given minutes to gain experience. Everyone gets a redshirt this year, right?

1 Like

I do agree and I know we dropped 21 to them in the 2nd half after they were driving the ball on us and Tune did give them 7. But I was hoping Logan could have gotten meaningful minutes on Sat with our huge lead. You never know when you are going to get bit at that spot and you need a QB with some decent experience off the bench to have a chance. USF will be the best opp all year to get some down the bench time.

Maybe if we had access to practices to see how he does every day, you would have an answer. Since we don’t, we can’t answer.

1 Like

Everyone whining in this thread needs to realize that Holgorson Jr. is the backup. I’m guessing that position goes to Kopp next season. At that point, Holgorson Jr. is probably number 3. Then Massoud is a likely transfer. You heard it here first.

It could be that Massoud will develop into a good QB, or WR, or DB. I don’t think others recruited him as a QB, IIRC. We will just have to wait and see.

I was hoping Holgy would have gotten more time last week. Never know when you have to call on him in the #2 slot. Overall, he looks a lot better this year under very limited action than he did a year ago. He appears to be a hard worker who is close to Tune and who lives in the film room and it up there constantly studying and working.

2 Likes

I think two things are going on.

One: Massoud is really good and Holgy doesn’t want to create a QB controversy. Especially, after choosing Clayton over King.

Two: With the shortened season, and Clayton receiving another year of eligibility, Holgy wants to make sure Clayton gets as many reps as possible, Bc there will be NO excuses next year for not being in position to win a conf title. Clayton must be ready!

Actually, cannot Tune have another 2 years if he so desires ?

1 Like