Maybe Orlando wasn't that great here

I’m not disagreeing with anything posted above, but this board melted down when we hired Applewhite over Orlando.

1 Like

Honestly, CMA by default. Kiffin had too much baggage, Riley pretty much using UH as a stepping stone. So we went with Major, no offense to Orlando.

Dawned on you???

1 Like

for good reason. Orlando should have been the hc all along. at least with him here our defense would be legit. all he had to do was hire a highly regarded person to be OC. I know Orlando doesn’t have texas ties, but that’s overrated. Levine didn’t have them either when he was here and he still managed to bring in good talent.

1 Like

Actually they do as mentioned above. Chick Fil A owners are a lot different than most in fast food.

I forgot who the top D players were that Orlando recruited? Or any players?
And who coached us in the bowl game? His D was fun to watch and it won us lots of games. Wonder if there’s a difference between P5 and P6.

I’m betting that if given the chance, the Herman/Orlando team will do well for the whorns over time. But I’m not a big gambler.

He doesn’t have to micromanage but he does have to be heavily involved. You don’t start one and let it run itself. Chick Fil A won’t let you do that.

Coaching college football is very time consuming and a big part of why Tony left coaching was to spend time with his family. I don’t think he wants to add another full time job on that. It seems he’s made up his mind and would not come back to coach here.

I didn’t melt down, but Orlando was top on my list and Applewhite was the bottom. Applewhite has pretty much been the lackluster head coach I expected. My opinion of Orlando has changed once I recognized the talent he was working with was P5 caliber.

I still remember watching the Temple CC game in 2015. The announcers were giddy watching how good UH was. It’s like they hadn’t seen a game yet. The things that got them laughing and excited was the rushing D. There was even a accidental mic left on moment after the game and the cameras were on the celebrations. The could stop talking about how good the team was. Lol the couldn’t figure out how we lost to UCONN.

Orlando was named the interim hc when herman left but they changed it to Applewhite. dumb move if you asked me. Orlando should have been the hc all along. he was at the top of my list along with les miles and Lincoln riley. Applewhite was at the bottom.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but just how more “dynamic” would Orlando be then CMA? He doesn’t have that overarching personality either, in fact, maybe even more mellow than CMA.

Then we talk about the defensive prowess against the “big” teams. How much did SMU drop on us?

How about we let this season (CMA’s second) play out and see what happens.

3 Likes

LOL what? Orlando was way more energetic and demanding than Applewhite when they were both here.

You talking about the SMU game but forget to mention games where we played FSU, Louisville twice, OU and shutout Vandy.

Lets talk about Applewhite’s offensive performances vs Tulsa, and Tulane. See I can play that game too.

1 Like

Orlando’s run defense in 2015 was a little better than Gibb’s run defense in 2014. They got much better in 2016. You want to credit Orlando or Ed for the big improvement?

Guys
We live in a what have you done for me lately world.
This past weekend some notable DCs had rough days.
Penn St…roughed up by App St. QB has been out of high school 3 years…started first college game vs PSU…killed them
Texas vs Maryland…
Miami vs LSU… last year UM was 10-0 and Manny Diaz DC was the best…they have now lost 4 straight…I peeked on their board and they want him fired…”he’s a salesman politician like his father “ was one quote
Michigan and their great DC were beaten up by ND
These guys didn’t forget how to coach…players change and player performance changes from game to game. My 2 cents

4 Likes

You can’t argue with Diehard on anything related to Herman and Orlando. We’ve all tried before. The recruiting and htown debates will go down in infamy.

6 Likes

nothing really to argue. its a fact.

Also don’t argue with him on what construes a fact.

8 Likes

I am glad we are finally tackling the subject of whether Major was the best pick to be coach after Herman left…

4 Likes

I’m glad the board has decided that Briles is the next HC…after one good half against Rice too

4 Likes

Was it? I know we finished like 9th in 2015 in run defense. Thought we were significantly lower in 2014.