Maybe Orlando wasn't that great here

If it was predestined that we were hiring Applewhite instead of Orlando, it made perfect sense to name Orlando the interim as it allowed Applewhite to go out and recruit while Orlando had to stay in Houston. Considering that we were getting poached left and right, it probably helped keep some of the players committed. Bryson Smith may have flipped if CMA wasn’t allowed to go see him.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Ahhh, gotta love these fan forums, where we all get to be ADs, scouts, recruiters and coaches for the low, low salary of $0/year. Where facts are opinions, and opinions are facts. Where each passing quarter of play necessitates multiple coaching and personnel changes and hand-wringing over the past, present and future. Where different programs in different conferences with different personnel and different offensive and defensive schemes are compared like apples to apples because a couple of coaches are the same. It truly is mind boggling that Pez doesn’t make his decisions based on this board.

11 Likes

Rushing
2016: 3rd with 97.9 ypg, 2nd with 2.9 ypa
2015: 12th with 116 ypg, 8th with 3.3 ypa
2014: 31st with 136 ypg, 23rd with 3.5 ypa

Passing
2016: 66th with 227 ypg, 35th with 6.7 ypa
2015: 111th with 265 ypg, 92nd with 7.6 ypa
2014: 30th with 198 ypg, 22nd with 6.3 ypa

I bring in yards per attempt because as you can see, if you have one of the worst pass defenses, teams tend to run on you less. So Orlando had a small improvement in yards per attempt over Gibbs but with a major sacrifice. 2016 was much better but again, that is with Big Ed and Levine’s recruits all being much more experienced.

3 Likes

True but who knows about the many others that did flip? Not sure if a 20% retention rate of your top 5 commits is a sign that the strategy worked.

Interesting…thanks for posting that! Both were awesome defensive coordinators that had success at each previous stop they were at. I have no clue to as why Gibbs has not had much success at tech (I never thought their defense was that good last year) It remains to be seen how the Texas defense pans out this season.

I want to add a big reason why it was CMA and not anyone else is because we were tired of being poached and a stepping stone for these guys. Bryson will be a very important player for us these upcoming games. He’s too versatile of a player not to be. Also I want to add if CTO was HC we would have gotten CMD regardless because wasn’t he recommended directly to us by him?

1 Like

it could simply be the talent. Just looking at Tech’s players in the pros, they are almost all offense. At Houston, even before the Levine recruits had an impact, the worst you could say about the talent on defense was it was on par with most of our competition if not better. Is Texas Tech’s defensive talent on par with most of their competition? I don’t know but I’d be surprised if it’s true.

1 Like

That’s a good point…but I would have to guess their defensive recruiting would be on par with everyone not OU or UT.

Very well said :+1:

I also love how above he says that having Texas ties is overrated. Funny because I have heard many recruits say how CMA is a Texas legend. They talk about the family atmosphere here but have also heard them talk about their HS coach approval of CMA.

Also did you know Diehard is the most formidable expert on Cougar Football, offensive schemes, defensive schemes, and everything in between? I know this because he told me so.

3 Likes

Applewhite being loved by texas coaches is overrated. idc about a coach having ties in texas. texas is the best state for football talent. even Levine got talent in texas. Orlando should have been hc. Orlando would have surrounded himself with a good staff as well just like herman did. i would think any logic UH fan would agree with me on that.

How in the world could you possibly know this? What experience does Orlando have hiring a staff?

–Logical UH fan

12 Likes

Still bringing facts to the argument I see. Because of Orlando’s great experience putting together staffs in his past head coaching gigs right?

5 Likes

jinx

3 Likes

Orlando.

Just realized why you brought that up. Probably a few people that are skimming through that think I’ve called Todd Orlando “Tony” not realizing I’m referring to Levine each time. :slight_smile:

Any logical U of H fan wouldn’t make statements that are opinion and can never be proven as fact and pass them off as fact while insulting their fellow Coogs.

3 Likes

what experience did herman have hiring a staff? ok then

The same as Applewhite and Orlando? I see your version of logic is as flawed as your version of facts.

3 Likes

Oh, I see the logic. Herman did a good job his first year therefore every first year head coach you like (even if such person has never been a head coach) will also do a good job. Sounds perfectly logical to me. Come on man!

5 Likes