Maybe Orlando wasn't that great here

Naviar was a Herman guy too, didn’t they work together at Texas State and Rice. No way to know who Herman gets if we hire Orlando but most likely they go to UT.

At the time I preferred Orlando also, however I expected him to continue transforming the team to a defense first, power run team with some read option flavor. We would’ve pitched a few shutouts last year but only scored add-on average of 12. Not sure all of his fan would have been excited by that.

Manster it is a no win situation you have explained it multiple times and they will see what they want to see.

Diehard won’t be happy until CMA, and CMD are gone.

7 Likes

I just don’t think it’s fair to compare because I don’t believe we have the same talent level at linebacker and defensive back we once did. In a couple of years, when we see these players combine numbers, we will have more of an idea.

Not all will agree with my logic for certain. He could be a good defensive coordinator that is making due with the players he has or he could be a not so good defensive coordinator that is not good at helping players fill their potential. Anyone that is 100% positive one way or the other, is someone not willing to listen to reasonable arguments.

One thing I will point out, most of the greatest coaches in college football history, were never unemployed for a year. Applewhite and D’Onofrio can’t make that claim.

1 Like

Possibly, no way to tell. I only say that Naviar probably would have been the DC was because he was one of the ones initially left behind when Herman got hired

not a step down…he is the whole stairwell.

Zack Spavital

Orlando would have run into the same problem Levine did, Tony had a hard time hiring staff (especially with Texas ties and especially on the offensive side of the ball). Orlando’s first job in Texas was at Houston and the best part of his experience coaching came from the Northeast, so we probably would have had whoever is the OC at UConn as our OC (he was at UConn from 1999-2010, his longest coaching stint at 1 place). How do you think Coogfans would have felt about that?

Everyone would have left Orlando because he had no ties to any other coaches before coming to UH.

3 Likes

This conversation is hilarious!

The only things most of us can agree upon are these:

Tony Levine was a great recruiter.
David Gibbs was a great coordinator.
Todd Orlando was a great coordinator.

What we know so far about CMA, he wanted Kendal but was forced to settle with Johnson. Now he has his man.

CMA received the referral for D’Onofrio from Orlando, and thus far, the defense using a different style of 3-4 is allowing about the same in points per game as Orlando’s D.

Everything else is up for debate including whether you like the style of CMD’s defense.

10 Likes

Trying to predict exact outcomes from hypothetical scenarios is frivolous is it not? Nailing Jello to the wall.

1 Like

Zac Spavital was the recruiting coordinator during that time. Probably why there was a preponderance of defensive players. Even Kenneth Farrow was originally a defensive player. Lot of Zac & Gibbs influence there

1 Like

On defense I think we really really miss Tre Stewart and Adrian McDonald. Good CBs are great but safety is your last line of defense. Those guys were multi-year starters who could do it all. Blitz, Picks, Hits over the middle, force fumbles, you name it. It’s easy to be more aggresive on D with those guys backing you up. That huge hit by Grant this weekend had Stewart’s knack for the ball written all over it so there is hope with our current guys.

4 Likes

Baylor coach seems to have hired a decent staff despite being from the Mid-Atlantic. Maybe easier since it’s P5 in central location, unlike Tech.

Lot of Texas HS Coaches

North Texas staff is having a great year recruiting. 19 - 3 star out of 20 commits on 247 sports. Their beat down of SMU isn’t exactly going to hurt their recruiting either.

Here’s hoping for a very good UNT team next year to go with OU and WSU and an FCS school to be named later.

2 Likes

I completely forgot we play UNT next year, and on the road at that. UNT is a very good team, and unless Littrell gets poached after this year (very good chance of that), we better come ready to play.

1 Like

Unless we bought out our deal with Georgia Southern, that might be who we schedule. It looks like we have double booked two of their dates without any announcement of a buy out.

2002: A breath of fresh air. Thanks. Well said.

And Manster, where have you been? Missed your post game comments. Welcome back!

2 Likes

Thanks Dallas Coog!! I peeked in periodically during off season but got exhausted just reading the threads. One week in and wearing me out already.

4 Likes