Maybe Orlando wasn't that great here

It’s a little scary to me how much Shaggy and I are agreeing these days.

4 Likes

Orlando is going to be a HC eventually. I just wish it was here. Obviously we don’t know for sure what kind of coaching staff he would put together until he is actually a HC but I’m willing to bet money it would be better than the one Applewhite assembled here in his 2 seasons so far.

Yes CMD would have been hired by CTO… and maybe he would make him run CTO defense.
However, CMD is running a “version” of CTO defense.
CMD ran a multiple front D at Miami.
He used a lot of 4-3.
He played a lot of 2 Gap with D line.
For those not familiar…2 Gap is where a D lineman is responsible for 2 gaps…pretty simple. So they aren’t trying to penetrate. They are standing up the OL and looking for ball, then shedding move to ball and keeping OL off LBs.
So CMD came to UH and switched to 3-4 that CTO ran.
Imo for 2 reasons…one which was publicly stated…so kids didn’t have learn a new defense.
2nd…you don’t 2 Gap Ed Oliver!!!
So if you watch the games back you will see that CMD often slants DL…1 Gap…trying get penetration.
He also played a lot tighter coverage vs Rice with CBs.
He did it early last year as well until CBs started getting beat.
Here’s the issue…imho…CMD got here and his CBs were
Myers…a walk on just given scholly and no experience
Johnson a converted WR with stone hands and no experience
Winchester…some experience but very inconsistent.
After a full year later and 2 sets CB coaches these guys don’t look any better…Johnson looked horrible vs Rice.
ND transfer Watkins was ok. He really wasn’t targeted much by Rice…not sure if by design or just worked out that way. They attacked Johnson.
And these must be our best because neither of the Smiths saw the field vs Rice.
Joell Williams played Against slot and got beat several times and had pass interference call against him.
All this talk of Johnson being an NFL corner is crazy imo at this point…it’s all based on potential…because he’s fast and tall.
Most of this board will say that the coaches are to blame. I think that’s crazy.
New CB coach has 15 plus years experience, much at P5s…coached lot NFL Corners…and Johnson still doesn’t turn for ball…which is drilled everyday in practice at all levels. Maybe he will get better. I hope so. To be fair he’s only playing a little over a year at CB. But let’s be realistic about our talent level at CB.

4 Likes

I love logic puzzles so Diehard is giving me a challenge here.

Herman put together a great staff so … Orlando would do a better job than Applewhite doing the same … because …

This is harder than the rubix cube

4 Likes

We do know he would’ve hired your boy dnofrio to be his dc lol

2 Likes

That is funny. I forgot that Todd recommended him.

1 Like

donofrio aint my boy and how do we know for sure if he would? just because he said good things about him? yeah right. what was Orlando supposed to say? “donofrio isn’t a good coach?”

Depends on how you look at it. Orlando isn’t known to be a good recruiter and we likely would have lost all 5 if he was hired.

Orlando told applewhite that’s who we would’ve hired as his dc. That is why Major hired him.

1 Like

again just because he recommended him doesn’t mean anything. Orlando is not gonna bash the hire. it would make him look like a prick.

If I had to guess who Orlando would have hired as his DC it would have been someone like Jason Washington or Craig Naviar.

So no experience at DC, and who would have been the OC?

1 Like

Why does having no experience at DC mean anything? If you can coach you can coach. Orlando would still have say in the defense anyway.

Guys you can’t argue with this kind of logic. Game over man.

2 Likes

Interesting discussion, I agree with aspects of both sides. Do you guys think Orlando as HC could have gotten Briles as OC or would have even considered him? Orlando was a heck of a DC and at the time I preferred him as HC over CMA. However, Major has been under Mack Brown and Saban which if nothing else gets you in coaching circles and networks that Orlando probably never got close to at Utah St.

I still have a hard time with the CMD hire. Ed Oliver was already famous. Our defense had a great reputation that they earned and we get unemployed ACC leftovers. He has done pretty well considering how he came in.

you have to start from somewhere. i think Washington is ready to become DC.

For the record, CMA wasn’t exactly clear of baggage.

1 Like

Probably Naviar…they were close and he had DC experience prior to coming to Houston.

Washington was a Herman guy. He was gone no matter what. He was one of the first guys that Herman pulled to Austin after hired. He’s a bigtime recruiter.

Am I the only one who feels like Dono-Frio is a step down in DC from Orlando and Gibbs. I just hate how conservative we play. is Dono Frio running appropriate scheme for our talent level and if so did our talent level drop off (aside from Oliver)?

perhaps I am wrong. sure hope so

1 Like

What is your interpretation of his scheme? My interpretation of his scheme is very different than many here.
I watch every game at least one more time, and try see why things happened. I rewind, slow mo etc.
If you only watch live and follow the ball, like most of us do when watching a game, you can tend to not see why the play result happened. You can also think you saw something you didn’t…like saying we played soft because guy wound up wide open. But in reality we played press man and CB missed jam and got beat.

3 Likes