Nate Hinton

…is on his way to becoming one of the all time great Coogs!

His effort on the court, how he carries himself on and off the court, his belief in our program, the way he represents our University are all on par with the other Cougar great ambassadors.

Lucky to have him on our squad!

22 Likes

Truth. Nate’s the captain of this team!

2 Likes

Last year I got to meet Nate Hinton’s parents, they were so nice & very humble people. I told them how excited we were that their son chose the University of Houston. They were very thankful that U of H offered Nate this opportunity! All of to say, you can tell where Nate got lots of his character!

9 Likes

He does all the things necessary to win.

1 Like

One of the best ambassadors we’ve had. He’s mature way beyond his years.

As I’ve posted before, if Benny had the character, focus and drive of Nate, he would have ended up in the basketball HOF

3 Likes

Good nickname for Nate by the game color guy on tv last night . Nate “What do you need” Hinton. He does what needs to be done

1 Like

Glad he’s a Coog.

1 Like

Not ideal to put Benny in same thread with Nate :rofl::exploding_head:. All seriousness though Hinton is where you want majority of s/a to be and carry themselves in representation of School that gave them a scholly.

1 Like

He may be at the top of my all time hustle team.
The only ones in recent years I can think of for that is
Nate Hinton
Galen Robinson Jr.
Corey Davis
Brian Latham
Bo Outlaw

3 Likes

I hope he stays at least one more year and doesn’t star getting the draft itch at the end of this year

1 Like

Before he is finished he may become the top hustler in Coog history…
Through the years I have been following Cougar basketball we have had some guys built on hustle and guts, especially in Guy V.s early years.
Donny Schverak was not afraid to hit the floor with anyone and then a guy named Jerry Bonny, one of UH’s greatest defensive guards along with Don Chaney.
Steve Newsome comes to mind also…the 6-8 forward played for some talented Coog teams in the early '70s but was mainly known for his hustle and grit. You can probably add scrappy guard Kenny Ciolli to the list…what a scrapper he was…
Hinton is someone special to this program…yesterday he scores only five points but his complete hustle obviously throws a crimp in WSU’s offense.
I wouldn’t trade Nate for anyone else in the country…and I mean that…he will be a great Cougar for life…
Make that Captain Nate…

8 Likes

Okay just added one more to that list, Bo Outlaw

1 Like

Bo could jump and was quick off his feet…geez I would love to see him on this team lol…he reminded me so much of a kid who played here in the early '70s…Dwight Davis…a guy out of Worthing who was a blocking machine,including Jacksonville’s 7-4 Artis Gilmore!

Bo could be a one man press and literally defend anyone on the court PG to C.

I have said the same thing Butch. Imagine Bo with the team we had last season.
I used to love how he would dominate Brent Scott at rice who they have retired his number I think.

1 Like

Butch, do you know what Donny Schverak is doing these days, though I guess he’s retired by now. I lost track since he left UH, and time gets away from you.

Last time I saw Donnie he was retired and living with his wife between Alvin and FM 2004…that was about five years ago when I did an interview with him.
He was still hurt over his treatment after the Tito Horford episode, and thought he took a rap for something he did not do.
Regardless, in his home he had multiple pictures of former UH players and coaches…he still loves UH, but is very bitter about how things went down in Guy’s final year.
Told me some great stories, including how he tried to recruit David “Big Daddy” Lattin to UH as our first black player, but the powers that were then said no…Lattin, from Houston, went on to lead UTEP to a national championship.

Lattin went to Texas Western in 1965. By then UH already had Don Chaney, Big E, and Wondrous Warren on campus. Why not recruit Lattin then? Clearly he was available.

Nate rocks!

Yesterday watching ut lose their game the announcer actually said that texas needs to stop playing like this is a country club.
They also made comments about the ut crowd and how they needed to be standing in certain situations and talked about them not being a motivator for the team.

4 Likes

I’d add Wes Van Beck to the UH All Hustle team.

6 Likes