Nate Hinton

I said compared to their sophomore years and mentioned Chaney was our best ever

1 Like

So whose team is this for next season? Dejon’s if he returns? Fabian’s? I wanted Hinton’s leadership next season to show the younger guys what it takes.

1 Like

dejon and fabian

I think it’s grimes and dejon.

Like Galen and Corey.

Two upperclassmen guards.

1 Like

Unless someone the staff believes is a sensational talent (and also a great fit) becomes available, I think the roster is set for the 2020-'21 season.

1 Like

I think Grimes steps up big time this year. He had flashes of greatness last year but he was still new to the system.

Jarreau will also fill the leadership spot (assuming he comes back)

1 Like

I had forgotten about Grimes for a minute. I guess I expected him to enter the draft and Hinton to stay so I should keep in mind Grimes should step up next season.

Aww crap, not what I wanted. Wishing Nate great success at the next level. Nates early departure is another sign that The Coogs are headed back to elite status in hoops. In order to be a power year in and year out, you have to have the one or two and done type guys in your program. I trust in CKS and his ability to bring in top talent to replace those guys. “We Don’t Rebuild, We Reload” Eat em Up Coogs!

1 Like

yep. to be perfectly honest (and critical) Grimes was a disappointment for me last year.

Kansas transfer, McDonalds all American, stud trying to enter the draft etc etc etc - then he would just completely disappear for games at a time.

I’ll chalk it up to being new to the system and an injury or two.

Im expecting BIG things from him this year.

1 Like

my only “gripe” for this, if you can even call it that, is that our “two and dones” aren’t going to the NBA, they are going to the obscure smaller leagues.

the “elite” teams are filled with one and done or two and dones that leave for the actual NBA Draft.

Don’t take this as a complaint as I know it comes off as such. I love our program and we’ve come a MASSIVELY long way in the last few years. But there IS a difference in talent. I think we’ll get there sooner than later.

We’ve got the coach that can take us to the top, no doubt about it.

2 Likes

It takes time Sir. Move clock back 40 months ago the goal was to reach MARCHMADNESS. Now been Top25 Team last 3 yrs and will be favored to win AAC for 3rd year in row. The train is moving frwd and moving at fast rate. #GoCoogs

4 Likes

I think Grimes played quite a few games last year with nagging injuries. You could definitely tell when he was feeling good
we started seeing the Grimes that we all expected. Hopefully he’s getting thoroughly rested and healed and comes back with fire in his gut this Fall.

1 Like

Uhhh according to Dr Khator that would be “fire in his belly”. :grin:. Come on mannn!!

1 Like

Move back a little further and we were supposed to be stoked by going to the CBI! When CKS took over the dumpster fire, the NIT was the goal, now the Dance is an expectation!

2 Likes

This a fair point, though I wouldn’t call Armoni getting an Exhibit 10 contract and winding up in the G League “obscure” and we still don’t know how things will turn out with Nate.

But you are right that having some guys leave the program early doesn’t automatically mean your program is in great shape with a really high talent level.

We weren’t in particularly great shape with a really high talent level when Stiggers, Simmons or Qa’rran Calhoun left early.

2 Likes

Nate could have put in one more year and left early. In addition, you never know how into the Dance we might go next year, and that is a once in a lifetime opportunity if he stays one more year
although he went in his Freshman year.

Not taken as such, I fall along the same lines that you do, note that I stated it is a sign that we are headed back to elite status, we have a ways to go, but the road is a lot less bumpy now than when CKS to the reins. Keepin’ The Faith, Go Coogs!

2 Likes

Sampson said on the caravan that he expects Fabian to step up since it is his senior season and 4th in the program.

At the coach’s caravan Sampson was asked about Nate leaving, I inferred from the response and body language that Sampson wasn’t too enthralled by the decision. Decision had been reached by Nate and his family without input from Sampson (my inference). Coach also mentioned that generally if a kid isn’t sure he is a first rounder, he should stick around.

5 Likes