Nate Hinton

On point.

About 44:10 they discuss Nate leaving. One thing mentioned is he did so well in his interviews with NBA teams it may have helped him make up his mind.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.click2houston.com/sports/local/2020/05/22/cougars-standout-nate-hinton-confident-as-he-pursues-nba-dreams/%3FoutputType=amp

1 Like

You could tell at the time he probably felt the same way about Armoni deciding to stay in the draft. Far, far be it from me to tell CKS how to run his program but it sounds like he really encouraged both guys to go through the process. I donā€™t want to put too much weight on two data points but if he really doesnā€™t think going pro early is the best thing for these guys he may want to adjust how he approaches these situations in the future.

2 Likes

His encouraging them to go through the draft evaluation is a good thing. A coach who doesnā€™t is going to be dismissed by recruits as not having their best interests at heart.

Both were gone regardless whether they went the the process or not, they each had personal reasons, though not related.

1 Like

I think armoni went in expecting to get feedback to help him develop his game during his senior season. I believe that he received info during the process that made him think he had a really good chance to make an nba roster and he took his shot.

He prepared us for this. Taught us to check ourselves and our emotions lol.

Haters came out if everywhere to give input on armoni leaving. The posts were filled with frustration.

Iā€™m really proud at how my fellow Coogsfans have handled and reacted to Nates departure.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s anything to back that up. If he discouraged Nate from going through it and was able to convince him to stay and Nate turns into a first rounder thatā€™s probably better for recruiting than Nate leaving this year.

Iā€™m not saying he should or should not have encouraged the guys to go through the process or how we approached either guy about how they should look at it was or was not correct. But it seems sort of weird to push these guys in the direction of going through the process and then getting annoyed when they come to a different conclusion than the one he thinks they should have reached. Iā€™m not saying encouraging these guys to check out the NBA is bad, but if he does it next year with Mills or whoever, he may want to adjust his approach from what he did with Nate and Armoni if he really thinks Mills or whoever would be better off sticking around for another year.

How do you know they were both gone regardless?

1 Like

My guess is heā€™s annoyed because neither will have ended up being drafted most likely. Both apparently ended up listening more to agents than NBA evaluators

2 Likes

The coaching staff was completely blindsided by Armoni leaving, doesnā€™t seem like that for Nate. Maybe just because of last year.

I am not sure why so many think an additional year is some sort of magical thing to make yourself better and become a first round pick. Thankfully, the G-League has grown and with the addition of exhibit 10 contracts guys can get paid a living wage to get developed while focusing on basketball 100% of the time. Maybe its because the NBA draft is only 2 rounds so people see going undrafted as a failure and mistake. We have baseball players getting drafted in the 30th round and leaving. Not as much complaints when they leave even though they are even lower on the pecking order as a pro than an undrafted guy like Armoni or Nate (if undrafted).

1 Like

I donā€™t. Iā€™ve made quite a few posts on here saying that Armoni almost certainly wasnā€™t going to be a first round pick and things so far have turned out generally fine for him. Maybe with a great year he could have snuck in the back of the second round, gotten a two way deal and it would be debatable whether thatā€™s better than where heā€™s at.

I actually do think Nate could have possibly played himself into a first round pick.

But either way, Iā€™m not criticizing either guy staying in the draft with my post. Iā€™m just saying it seems somewhat weird on its face that our staff is almost encouraging our guys to go through the process to get feedback, but then seems annoyed when they go through the process and stay in the draft. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m saying that whatever CKS has done with those two guys the last two years he may want to reevaluate and rethink when this comes up again next year and the year after.

4 Likes

getting a team invested in you at a higher price is the reason for coming backā€¦
basketball is too cut throat to compare it to any other sport especially not baseball where they dont mind developing players for multiple years.

the more teams invest in you the more years you get to estabilish yourselfā€¦markelle fultz would have been in europe YEARS ago if he wasnt the top pickā€¦heā€™s about to enter his 5th season with no major production (expected to get atleast 3 more years). guys with no draft stock get 1 or 2 summers to prove themselves, some that are lucky get 1 or 2 gleague seasons to produce elite stats. even if they develop to be great later on in europe, the path back to the nba is almost never thereā€¦ the unfair part is that half the nba stars struggled their 1st few yearsā€¦curry had a horrendous summer league.

if you want to have a long nba career, the most important thing is value upon entering the league. having a team invest in you, and having that team try and justify that investment. there a documentary i want to suggest for you but i cant remember the name, its about trying to get back into the league and follows 4 players. it goes over this in detail

also getting paid to play basketball is not a failure without contextā€¦70-130k is alot of moneyā€¦when when people speak of this they are adding opportunity costā€¦100k per year for 2 years is a failure when 4million per for 7 years was on the table

5 Likes

I agree about Hinton, 1 more year would probably have been better. Just pointing out again to others who act like there is only one way to go (increasing stock). If Brooks got hurt his senior season, he would have been screwed. If he didnā€™t put up better numbers, he would have possibly lost stock too.

Give me a list of guys who played 2 or 3 college seasons who werenā€™t projected to be drafted on any mock drafts, then got drafted 1st round after coming back for 1 more season. I am sure there are some and would be interested in seeing it. Statistically it is a tiny percentage though.

of the top of my head without googling
cam johnson (unc)
the 2 from Tennessee last year ā€“ Admiral schofield and something williams
carsen edwards
dylan windler from that small school
kyle guy from virginia----i want to say ty jerome aswell but theres a chance he was draft boards the year prior

if you give me time to google, i can make a more detailed list

3 Likes

Go ahead, I am interested. You should double check some of those names too.

Broadly speaking Iā€™m ok with high school players going pro after 3 years in the college. I think one more year in college for Hinton would have helped him tremendously, imo. But, who has patience in these days especially among the new millenials!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll add. Itā€™s not just about him being in college. Itā€™s about him being coached by Sampson, who does know what it takes to be successful in the NBA.

I hate to bring this up. But, itā€™s almost like they donā€™t trust him. And donā€™t trust his process.

I disagree with that for the most part. Kids these days donā€™t really dream about playing in college, itā€™s all about the pros. If you listen or read any interview with the players all about the pros now. This is going to happen more and more so we have to get used to it even though it sucks.

1 Like

If only he would have been a 2 star recruitā€¦

I keed.

@Jcoop9

I understand they want to be pros. And not just pros, NBA players.

So if the argument is that the D-league is better prep for the NBA. Then I would be interested in understanding the level of coaching in that league.

The coaching canā€™t be better than Sampson. The preparation canā€™t be better than Sampson.

I donā€™t know. Just interesting.