NCAA snub a 'miserable' end for UH baseball season

“A lot of optimism around this program right now,” Whitting said. “The expectation level is really high and that’s why I’m at the University of Houston and why these players come to the University of Houston. This is definitely not a good day for our program, but it’s not the end.”

This marks the first time since 1994 that the city’s two top Division I baseball programs, UH and Rice, will miss the NCAA Tournament in the same year. The Owls had a 23-year run end in 2017.

https://twitter.com/HenryMhenry17/status/1133054766228168706

Sounds like what he said at the end of last season.

damn…so the bearcats really did take our spot.

Definitely…or TCU when they went on their run. TCU AD is on the committee by the way.

1 Like

I dont understand how in the world they got in! Didnt they have an rpi near 60? I guess thier AD mustve had a lot of pull smh…

1 Like

Two factors that probably played heavily in TCU getting in over UH…1) by far largest factor, they were hot and UH was not down stretch 2) their 4yr run at CWS and P5 status carries weight

2 Likes

P5 status was huge this year. Last 4 in were all P5…Last 4 out were not.

2 Likes

In my book, that’s called bias.

2 Likes

To me, having lived a life of UH getting shorted by any number of ways and means such that it just becomes a way of life, we didn’t get snubbed as much as we didn’t “earn” our place in the tournament when we had every opportunity to do so. We “Coog’d it.” And how impressive have been our recent showings in the tournament been? Not good. Not good at all. And we were getting to play at home. The only one to blame for this year’s failure is seen in the mirror.

5 Likes

After several recent years of our “potential” World Series run only to fizzle out, I am taking it easy going forward. We just never seem to start out strong, have a run or two, several head scratching losses and the a need for a strong finish just to get into the dance.

1 Like

Two disappointments of the UH BB program was losing to UT (2002) and Rice (2003) in back-to-back Super Regionals only to see both of them go on to win the CWS. We were that close.

2 Likes

You must have not been to the 2000? 2001? series at home against freaking San Jose St. That should have been a CWS appearance slam dunk, and that team was very capable of winning the whole thing. Noble ran us out of that victory early in the 3rd game. I still can’t get over that one.

1 Like