New grad transfer QB - Quinten Dormady from Tennessee

Good deal for us. King is our starter. We now have a backup with experience. Allows us to redshirt Tune.

Note: Played with an injured shoulder and finally shut down last year and had surgery. Watching film of him playing last year may not be a good indication of his capability.

2 Likes

Gotta get Bryson on the field. Period. He’s just as electric as king with the ball. He was arguably just as good as Ward in HS. This only helps us.

3 Likes

Until we see how many in the next class arrive, and if anyone else leaves, it’ll be tough to tell. I’d imagine we have at least 1-2 and possibly more.

@dansatjr is right, this is probably an Adam Schulz situation. Gives us good depth in case King, who has had a couple of injuries, goes down this year. Otherwise, we’re starting a freshman that has no D1 snaps.

This will also allow us to get Smith on the field comfortably as @Mdcoog says. Get him out there like King and Ward and allow him to contribute instead of just holding a clipboard.

1 Like

Last season, Dormady started the Vols’ first five games before being replaced by Jarrett Guarantano. Dormady also underwent shoulder surgery that cut his season short. He finished his Tennessee career with 1,282 passing yards, seven touchdowns and six interceptions in 13 career games (five starts).

The 6-foot-4, 222-pound Dormady was a four-star recruit coming out of Boerne High in 2015, ranked as the 14th-best pocket passer in the nation. He backed up longtime Tennessee starter Joshua Dobbs for two seasons before getting his first career start last season.

1 Like

As a graduate transfer, Dormady is eligible to play immediately and will be given a chance to challenge D’Eriq King for the starting job.

Dormady brings experience (he played in six games last season for the Volunteers) to a position that lacks it, with King having only four career starts and Bryson Smith and Clayton Tune never taking a snap on the collegiate level. If the Cougars stick with King, Dormady would provide a suitable safety net as the No. 2 quarterback.

In that scenario, the Cougars could temporarily move Smith to wide receiver in a similar transition to how they brought along Greg Ward Jr. That would likely mean a redshirt season for true freshman Clayton Tune.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/986436676485550080

1 Like

I don’t think you can have too many horses in the stable.

King will take more hits this year.

1 Like

Exactly, I love it. You know there is a high chance that King will at least get banged up to have to come out of one game so we have another option. Also throw in the possibility of Smith going to WR/wildcat some as he showed how crazy quick he is without worry of the back up not being ready.

A starter can be named but it is not chiseled in stone for eternity. Things can change and I look forward to following the competition this summer.

My concern with Dormady being #2 and moving Bryson to WR is that Bryson won’t get practice or game time QB snaps during the year. That’s only going to hurt his development, which is not a good thing if we’re wanting him to be in the mix for next year and the year after that. If Tune gets redshirted and Bryson spends an entire year getting little to no QB snaps, next year we’ll be in the exact same boat as this year depth-wise. This feels like a short-term gain at the expense of long-term development to me. And also, if the idea is to switch Bryson to WR, I think this increases the chances of him transferring if he has a really strong desire to play QB. Isn’t that why he chose to stick with us when Lyin’ Tom came calling? Not terribly excited about this move.

1 Like

Trust CKB.

Do Grad Transfers actually consider academics in their transfer decision or is it strictly playing time?

Their degree program has to be offered that’s for sure.

I know and with the potential of more grad transfers inbound, there will be a lot of speculation and anticipation. These CoogFans boards are going to be a blast this summer!

I remember reading somewhere that only a small percentage of so-called “graduate transfers” end up actually receiving the advanced degree that they supposedly transferred to study for.

As a practical matter, the whole “graduate transfer” thing is really just a vehicle for Sr. personnel to get more playing time.

1 Like

I wonder if Kyle Allen received a graduate degree from the University of Houston if that’s the case.

[edit] I forgot his classification. Never mind. lol Still good insight.

What the hell is going on right now lol.

King has to be in panic mode right now

I think King has absolutely nothing to worry about. He stays healthy, he stays the starter. Bryson Smith is the one who should be in panic mode. He might be changing positions.

Bryson didn’t look too impressive at the spring game