New grad transfer QB - Quinten Dormady from Tennessee

That’s precisely the point of my earlier post. Bryson is a RS FR. If he doesn’t get real game QB snaps this year ( in blowout situations and/or if King gets injured), how can we expect him to develop into a guy who is ready to take over when King graduates? Obviously practice snaps alone won’t get you there. If this new guy comes in and is the #2, Bryson is losing a full year of being able to develop at QB and we’ll be right back in the same boat depth-wise in 2019.

major just re-affirmeded he is the starter to duarte

and to be fair to bryson his best skill set is his legs, it was touch tackle, if he was allowed to run, he’d look 10x better
and i dont think he played bad either, he had a few big plays and didnt turn the ball over

1 Like

Why do you assume CKB is looking to develop Smith and not Tune to take over when King graduates?

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/986650183470600193

I trust Briles. Hopefully he inherited his dads eye for QB talent.

I naturally assume that CKB will be looking to develop all QBs on the roster. Otherwise, they shouldn’t be QBs on the roster. That might happen to Smith, which is why I said above that if he has strong feelings about playing QB, I think that increases the likelihood of him transferring.

We have no idea how these kids will develop, so I think CKB would be foolish to hone in on one to the exclusion of the other. All I was saying is, bringing in a graduate transfer with 1 year left and making him the #2 could have ripple effects on development of the next QB we have. To me, it’s not worth it. But I’ve been wrong before and I’m certain I’ll be wrong again. Maybe this is one of those times.

2 Likes

Smith is technically a Sophomore that has had some experience with the players that have been there; meanwhile Tune is extremely inexperienced compared to Smith. We need make sure Tune knows the fight song before we crown him worthy of unseating a QB that’s been here a full year.

3 Likes

from what I’m hearing smith actually wants to move to wr…he wants to see the field as soon as possible. wr gives him the best shot.

1 Like

The real question is who is Ike Ogbogu?

1 Like

If that’s the case, then that’s great. He should make the full switch now and begin working on that craft. I just thought he decided to stick with us over following Lyin’ Tom to UT because he wanted to play QB. We certainly need the depth and athleticism at WR.

Well if King gets hurt first game and Smith has a terrible year and gets replaced by Tune, then Smith transfers anyway. Or Tune transfers if Smith does well. Or King graduates early and transfers. Or we lose all of them like A&M that one year. Anything can happen so not looking at putting the best team on the field next year would be a mistake. Smith can still be developed as a QB while getting on the field. He would be a huge threat for us. Imagine a set with both King and Smith in the backfield! Both Ward and King were fine with playing WR to get on the field while waiting for their time at QB.

1 Like

I think it is the UH way to get QB’s ready to start. They have to play WR for a couple of years so they can learn the system from the other end. :wink:

6 Likes

I agree. I thought he performed well in the Spring game. He reminded me of a bigger Ward. He is incredibly fast and on one play got touched, but tackle was they would not have had him. On another and I thought his best play, he stepped up away from the pressure started as if to run the ball, got the corner to react and then slid down the line of scrimmage and tossed a long pass to Bradley. His scramble to the line of scrimmage is what helped Bradley get open.

I agree that Smith shouldn’t be moved to WR unless he wants to do it and our current group of WRs can’t do the job.

I’m for letting him continue developing as a QB. Too many Freshmen and Sophomores want instant playing time. The idea of paying your dues and learning for a couple of years seems to have been lost in many cases.

1 Like

If the young man wants a football future (pro) after college, he needs to start learning WR now because it ain’t going to be at QB.

1 Like

I’m a big Bryson Smith fan and I know several on here are as well. I’m concerned that he won’t get reps at QB this year with this move, as others have stated. This year, I have no problem with him at wr and Dormady being the backup in case King goes down. However, if we get in a mop up duty situation (2nd half Rice hopefully) they should put Bryson at QB. Dormady getting reps in this circumstance is a waste of time, he’s only here one year. This would be a fair way to get Smith needed experience.

2 Likes

Here is some info on Ike Ogbogu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ0u4B0b7Ws

2 Likes

QB Ike Ogobogu RS FR
Not sure where Ogobogu was last year, but he was a 2* Dual Threat QB recruit coming out of San Jose, CA two years ago. Didn’t have any offers.