No discussions on the Hurricanes?

Lol…

Power is out in The Woodlands. We are part of Entergy that is part of the Louisiana grid.

1 Like

Is that true? Doesn’t sound Texan

1 Like

It is true. In the woodlands and lots of parts of east Texas to Louisiana we do not have a choice in electricity providers. Entergy is our only choice.

Here is the outage grid.

https://www.etrviewoutage.com/map?state=tx&_ga=2.114605312.645316598.1598555023-290708099.1598555023

Man I miss the days when I could watch the weather channel without it getting all political. Social justice hurricanes are ruining weather.

3 Likes

Hurricanes are acts of God…thus, is that a reflection of Gods position on monuments?..(I kid…I kid)

1 Like

Yep, a lot of pain over in SW LA right now and especially in Lake Charles. We ought to feel lucky it wasn’t us. Got to feel for those people and the state.

They had to endure COVID, and the state had a heavy dose of it early on, then the economic bust due to the shut down, then the oil bust on top of it, and now the this Cat 4 hurricane. You need to have a lot of steel in the body to handle this year over there.

1 Like

Just watched a couple of videos of Cameron and Hackberry. Devastating. From what I read, Laura pretty much landed in the mouth of Lake Calcasieu rather than a bit west, hence the “smaller” storm surge.

1 Like

Yes, they benefitted from the slight move of the storm east during the final half day before landfall otherwise it would have a benn a devastating storm surge along with devasting wind Cat 4 wind. Lake Charles registered higher wind than Cameron did which is hard to believe. I sure wish the storm whould have moved another 35 or 40 miles east for Lake Charles would had benefited significantly more than what they did.

The eye also didn’t contain the calm state most do, it was still kicking around pretty good wind speeds. The Weather Channel team didn’t believe they were in the eye although the Houston radar was saying they were right in it.

Explanation that I heard as to why the storm surge was less than expected was because of the relatively limited period of time that the storm reached hurricane limits. It went from Cat 1 to Cat 4 in less than 24 hours, with landfall shortly thereafter. For comparison, Katrina spent a couple of days at sea as a Cat 5, building a deeper “bubble” of surge

Didn’t affect us at all in Katy. Not even a drop of rain.

Concerned about my Beaumont relatives though.

1 Like

On a zoom call yesterday morning I was asked how affected I was…I hesitated and said “Well, the sprinkler system ran this morning”.

But Karma can be cruel, the woodlands got hit with a power outage at about 1 pm. It came back at 7:30 ish.

If you don’t have a stand by generator, it was nice, I didn’t even notice when it kicked in.

1 Like