Non Conference Scheduling

Said it once and I’ll say it again. KenPom and Sagarin are biased systems. Feel free to point to our OOC schedule but you will see in both of those systems several teams ranked higher with a worse SOS and the same or worse record. Only teams like Gonzaga and Cincy get to slip by but schools like Houston and Buffalo never get to start the year ranked the same or higher than they were the previous year.

1 Like

Nonsense. Programs should do what they think is best, and possible, for themselves.

The difference in the rankings is that most of them contain perceptual, rather than objective criteria. The solution to scoring high in NET is to schedule the opponents which will beat the highest possible amount of their opponents, except for you. Obviously this is not something you can control other than just winning. And not scheduling a complete set if pattycakes.

1 Like

Just perusing the channels…seems that Alabama is playing AT Stephen F Austin tonight in Nacadoches
in Men’s BB…

Just seems surprising to me…

1 Like

SFA’s coach was an assistant at A&M when Avery Johnson’s son played there. Apparently they were close and this is sort of doing a favor for him. 1st time SFA has had a SEC team play there.

https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-hoops-adds-stephen-f-austin-to-non-conference-schedule/

1 Like

I would certainly have taken this at the start of the season and probably be fine with it even now. But I’m not sure where they’re thinking we’re going to rack up 5 losses in conference. Obviously anything can happen, but based only on what they know right now, what games do they think we’re going to lose? I don’t see the breakdown on their website.

It isn’t specific games it’s based on odds of winning/losing each game. You lose a certain percentage of games even when you’re favored. If you have a 90% chance of winning each of ten games it still means you typically end up losing one. Same stats for 20 and you lose two. Throw in two game you are close underdogs for and you lose three.

1 Like

The thing that impresses me most about UH is the narrow band between their best and worst performances. They are incredibly consistent. That is why I would also struggle to find 5 games on the schedule they could lose. I just don’t see that many losses.

2 Likes