Ohio State = Houston

Uh Tim Tebow and that NC Florida team says hello, Dan Mullen and the 10-2 Utah team (with our OC Brad Johnson as the QB) also say hello. I understand your concern about our players not fitting the scheme (I think they actually do), but you’ve got to give more insight into what scheme you think our guys would fit better in order for us to have a constructive conversation.

Please don’t say Alabama because they’ve had many OCs in the past 5 years, and don’t really have an identity outside of the fact as they are the most talented team on paper. Their defense has also been carrying the team for the latter part of these past 5 years.

Did I not say Urban Meyer has won every where he’s gone? Mullen was not head coach at either of those teams. What head coach besides Meyer has won with this offense?

Brian* Johnson

Not my job to answer that. Doesn’t matter. CMA is our coach.

So far, and I’m including the last 2 seasons, I don’t like the offense. I don’t think it puts our players in the best position to be successful. I don’t think we’ve adjusted to the talent we have. And without Greg Ward and a superior defense, I don’t think it will work at UH. I haven’t seen it work without superior talent else provided by Urban with the exception of 2 years with the NFL ROY.

I would just like to see some adjustments to our talent instead of well it just doesn’t work without superior talent and even more so, a specific type of talent. So it’s all the player’s fault if they don’t succeed with the plays the coaches provide

Truthfully, since we’re not a P5 program and our recruiting is consistently below most of those programs, it seems to me that if we were to make “adjustments to our talent” we should have lost to the games against Florida State, Oklahoma, Louisville and Arizona.

Most exciting teams are not champs, exciting means less care of the ball and no way to control the clock

You haven’t seen me advocate Air raid or any other style. You have seen me advocate more diverse running plays and formations, the opposite of advocating for air raid. And you’ve seen me advocate more diverse pass plays than bubble screens, an air raid staple

But if we have to wait for CMA to develop his own program and systems, which I am in favor of, then we can’t use the OP argument that we have a great system becaue its OSU’s. I just don’t want to wait 2-3 years of mediocre offense because we refuse to change now

Does Kyle Whittingham of Utah employ the same offense as Meyer? If so they have been pretty damn successful with it for the last 15 years.

Most teams aren’t champs, exciting or not. But have you seen me advocate exciting or have you seen me advocate more formations and options? Those don’t have to be exciting either just effective and tailored to our talent.

Our WRs are rarely going to make the exciting huge play where they make guys miss and take it to the house. No knock on them, just not their skill set. So bubble screens are not going to be their forte

Their skill set is running an 8 to 12 yard route, catching the ball even in traffic, and moving the sticks. Not exciting but effective. And they’re very good at it. But instead of having them go 8 yards on 3rd and 7, we have them run a 3 yard route or bubble screen and expect them to make a bigger play out it. That’s not much of a change to ask. But how many times did we fail last week asking them to do something not in their skill set?

1 Like

NTXCoog, the comment about the Air Raid was in direct response to the comment made above it by UHQB1 and was not intended for you.

We should reasonably expect to see Coach Applewhite develop his own systems based on what he’s seen and learned from such coaches as Mack Brown @ Texas, Nick Saban @ Alabama and Tom Herman @ Houston.

And, we have no reason to believe that he will not make adjustments to the offense and defense based upon the talent we have. However, we also have no reason to believe that a balanced attack, ball control, avoiding turnovers and going 1-0 on each play will not remain major keys to the UH offensive game plan.

Dude you are obsessing over one game! Like I said above, maybe we are mediocre this year… point being is it’s ONE game into the season. And you fail to point out the many things we did well and right last week.

4 Likes

That’s much better. Don’t know if it’s similar to Urban’s but it sounds like it was. Interesting to note though that if you Google Utah football offense, all of the articles are about Utah changing to a fast paced, pass first offense this year

I remember boring and losing. Much rather win.

And the last 2 years of offense

But if you don’t think I’ve pointed out positives, you’ve missed them. I loved the few times that we passed on 8 to 20 yard routes. Allen looked so comfortable with those passes. Ward was great but he couldn’t throw those routes like that especially after the shoulder injury. I’ve been advocating more of that, unlike those who want us to throw it long a lot more. It’s what KA is good at. It’s what our receivers are good at. More of that than 3 yard to negative yard routes expecting them to make a big play after the catch. Let the catch be the play

I think our OL was much improved and our RBs were decent. But we don’t have a bruiser back who can run dives and traps up inside with no lead blocker. And we don’t have pure speed to get outside. That’s why I want multiple formations, lead backs and TEs, which again will play to our strengths and not allow the defense to easily read the play before it is run

I like much of the talent and often they made the the most of that talent with the plays called , but the calls didn’t generally play to their talents

Do you remember exciting and winning? We’ve had lots of that at UH
Do you remember boring and losing? For about 10 years, we had a ton of that too

Don’t pretend exciting = losing and boring = winning always

As I stated in another thread, Ohio St.O has two things happening that is slowing it down. One the D’s are figuring it out and the better D’s have slowed or shut it down. See the Penn St. loss, the Michigan, Michigan St, and Northwestern games. Then there is the Clemson game where OSU had zero points and the OU game where they had 16 points.

What is also hurting OSU is the same thing that is hurting the UH O.
During last weeks OU - OSU game the commentator mentioned how OSU lacks and explosive WR. This is not just a fast guy, but a Avery, Carrier, Middleton type who could take it to the house but also could make DB’s miss. UH had one in Cousins who was a transfer that had to quit because of concussions, they have another in Marquez Stevenson who is injured and out for the year and possibly in D’Eriq King who also is injured.

I also would like to see more passes to the TE and see Patrick Carr get some touches at RB early in the game. Of course with a 6’3 211 lb QB makes me wonder why he is not under center for a play or two when UH has first and goal. Yeah it is not the OSU O but it could become a part of the CMA O.

Time will tell but I do prefer Conference Championships, NY6 bowls and championships and a great D over mythical College FB Offensive Titles.
Like TTech, UH does not have the depth on D to overcome injuries and fatigue in the 4th quarter, caused by an Air Raid O.

These are the kinds of things I’m talking about. Do we have a Tyler McCloskey type player on the roster? If no, why not? Line him up any where and let him block. Th emiltiple formations I’ve talked about. Occasionally run a pass play to him and the result will be great, but you can’t do it too often or he’ll be exposed

I have been attending UH games as an adult since the 1970s so yes I have seen boring and losing, I have seen it all, I have been there when we won and lost conference titles. I have been there from D. C. Nobel to Greg Ward and now kyle Allen. I have seen us go an entire season without winning a single game. The only two things I have not seen is UH have an undefeated season or win a National Championship. I don’t care if the offense is exciting or boring as long as we win the games.

Our O line play will be better because the problem went to Austin with Herman !!

Its only one game and I don’t know the reason, but they did look improved