One of the great Coogs of all time

Largely forgotten but, he was phenominal.

The Life And Career Of Charlie Hall (Complete Story) (brownsnation.com)

2 Likes

True Story- I walked on at UH the summer of 1973 coming in as a receiver and punter. I would work out at Westchester High School in Houston virtual everyday. iI would usually find someone to throw the ball with or play 3-3 running routes. One day this guy said he would cover me and give me some reps against some competition. I found it very difficult to catch a pass against this guy and it finally dawned on me as he was wearing a Cleveland Brows practice jersey this was not an ordinary Joe I was trying to catch passes from - my height and out weighed me 40 lbs or so. Finally, I inquired after about 30 miuntes of futility I asked if he played ball for Cleveland and of course I was not only playing against one of the great UH cougars butt a NFL linebacker of outstanding character and talent. I will never forget it and of course my excitement to be walking on a UH that summer.In conclusion, I got at partial scholarship books & tuition from Coach Yeomen at semester and full ride form that point on- came in with the original group recruited that played in 1976 for the Cotton Bowl. I retired after the following year, got married and had five wonderful children and now eight granchildren with many great memories of that day and my short lived career - life time cougar and so is my family.

17 Likes

He was one of the greatest to wear a UH uniform.

2 Likes

I grew up in Yoakum, Charlie’s hometown. As a young kid, I was a huge Charlie fan, even though he played twice a year against my beloved Oilers. When he retired in 1980 and moved back to Yoakum, his son Rod was in the grade behind me. Rod went on to serve in the military, then played basketball at UTSA–great guy and a terrific athlete.

Charlie was pretty quiet. You rarely saw him around town. He did coach football for a little while at a private school in the area. His grandson Jordan Moore was on the Coog football team the past two seasons, but is in the transfer portal now. Jordan’s dad is also one of my high school classmates.

One interesting thing about Charlie: He came to UH on a basketball scholarship. I’ve never heard the story of how he ended up switching to football.

6 Likes

Great post.

1 Like

Now that is the kind of post that old Coogs like to see !
Go Coogs !

3 Likes