Opponent Watch 2018-19: Memphis

The release states the operation, which took place Monday, should keep the senior out for 4 to 6 weeks. Based on that prognosis, Martin could be available when Memphis starts its preseason practices at the end of September.

“Obviously, it’s very disrespectful,” freshman David Wingett said. “These guys finished fifth last year, and with our recruiting class that is coming in, we’re going to make huge contributions to the team.”

After suffering from shoulder discomfort before last season’s American Athletic Conference tournament, Azab was diagnosed with leukemia in April, and had been undergoing treatment.

“The University of Memphis is deeply saddened by the passing of Karim Azab,” Memphis president M. David Rudd said. “It is never easy when someone so young has their life cut short. Karim showed great courage battling with tremendous fight and determination. He was proud of being a Tiger, and Karim will be missed immensely. Our thoughts are with his family, as well as his friends, teammates and fellow UofM students, faculty and staff. The spirit of Karim will never be forgotten at the University of Memphis.”

Wow. That really freaking sucks. My cousin had leukemia also and it was a horrible experience when he had it. I dont wish that on nobody poor kid he left way too young. Rest in peace Karim.

3 Likes

Penny lands the #1 recruit in the nation, his former player, James Wiseman.

How is Memphis getting all these recruits. I mean i understand he had his own AAU Team but man this is no joke. In 7 months Penny has gotten four 4 star recruits and two 5 stars. They’re going to be a threat next season if not this season. Everyone is catching up.

They all played for him

Yeah but i just dont understand how he keeps the retention and them not wanting to go to duke or kansas or somewhere else. Its just crazy to me.

Answer: Fed Ex

1 Like

3 Likes

Penny’s trying to be the next Calipari and get one and dines to go to Memphis. With all the guys he’s coached, it may work out for now. Verdict is still out on whether he can actually coach these guys once they end up there.

Still have a feeling he’s going to get exposed against Cronin, Marshall, Hurley, and CKS. Hell, Dunleavy and Haith may give him fits.

2 Likes

College ball is really tough without a good coach and sometimes even with one. With dickey we had 4 ESPN 100 kids on the squad and only managed to make the CBI. The Harrison twins first year at Kentucky 5 or 6 years ago had 5 top 20 recruits, but for some reason they just didn’t play well together, lost first round of the NIT. Penny’s got to prove he can coach.
Now if he can, this conference just got a whole lot more fun. We could field 5 or 6 really good squads each year.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1072945994025848832

Man, I wish our media would write some puff pieces like this:

There were also plenty of positive signs as Memphis’ level of competition increased over the last month.

The Tigers outscored or tied their opponent in three of six halves played against ranked opponents.

Memphis challenged LSU on the road for 33 minutes, led Texas Tech for 32 minutes, and outplayed No. 4 Tennessee for the entire second half.

https://twitter.com/RMoses10/status/1074082771168083973

The hire : Penny Hardaway

No NCAA Tournament for Hardaway in his first season, but the recruiting wins are big enough to warrant inclusion on this list. Memphis secured James Wiseman, the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2019. Memphis has the 11th-ranked class in college basketball and projects as a 2020 NCAA Tournament squad.

What the Hardaway hire did for the morale of the team and the city validates this as an immediately successful hire. But record-wise, Memphis was good. The Tigers went 22-14, winning more games in Hardaway’s first season than they had since 2013-14, the last time the school made the NCAA Tournament.

https://twitter.com/JasonSmith929/status/1128298257623453697
:thinking:

That seems odd.

Probably resented that half the basketball team was paid more.

3 Likes