Opponent Watch 2018 - Memphis

We just missed sacking Ferguson multiple times, then he burned the secondary.

Making into a great rivalry. They always have killer RB’s. Hopefully, our guys can give them a taste of their own medicine this year.

I might make this my away game instead this year. :thinking:

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1024648959778873344

It’s easy to forget the Tigers’ second 10-win regular season in school history last year included four wins decided by one score or less.

“One thing people don’t realize is it’s not hard being good,” senior linebacker Curtis Akins said. “It’s hard staying good and being great and playing at the level everybody wants you to play at.”

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1031262282217664513

Didn’t they lose three of their offensive linemen.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Memphis’ Brady White will be the starting quarterback for the Tigers’ Sept. 1 season opener with Mercer.

White had been competing with sophomore David Moore. Memphis coach Mike Norvell announced Tuesday that Moore has left the program and plans to transfer.

1 Like

I believe so
and they’re planning to start a Redshirt Freshman at LG.

Even JD is jumping in on Memphis beating us this year. Do I just have Coog-colored glasses on this year? We come into this season with arguably a better defense than we had last year and what is likely to be a better offense by epic proportions. Memphis lost their OC, QB, best WR (by a large margin), 3/5 of their OL, and I don’t recall them ever having a good defense. Their defense was so bad they gave up 554 yards of offense and 38 points to our horrible offense last year. Sure, their very young defense from last year is now a year older and more experienced, but it’s not difficult to say that our improvement on offense will be 10-fold what Memphis’ improvement on defense might be. What in the world are people seeing about Memphis that I’m not?

My sincere hope is we head into the Memphis game undefeated (or if we have to have 1 loss, that it come against Tech) and proceed to put up 650 yards of offense while hanging 60 on them, and beating them by 3 TDs to set up a match with undefeated and Top 10 ranked UCF in the AAC title game. If we finish with 2 losses this year, it will be because we lost to Tech and UCF. I don’t see a loss to Memphis this year, even on the road.

3 Likes
1 Like

Did their number 2 QB transfer? That may be something to watch if the starter gets hurt during the season.

Im scared of usf

I’m decidedly not scared of USF. They are likely to take a serious step back without Quinton Flowers under center. The problem with USF is that there isn’t much on their schedule before they play us to let us know how good/bad they might be. Georgia Tech will be their stiffest competition prior to us.

There defense is going to be good and they have a 5* transfer at qp ( although hes unproven like allen) i would still give them a realistic shot of giving us a run for our money

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing this on? That defense was terrible last year. They were plagued by injuries causing them to have to play a lot of really young guys. While they forced a lot of turnovers, they couldn’t stop anyone. I think their defense will be improved this year, but I’m not sure there’s any evidence out there yet to say it will be good. It’s just unproven and has never really been a strong point of their program.

Both corners are returning, and they are rated to be their best retuting players,they fefurn 9 starters from last year, i think last year was rough on dbs in general givin the fact that 6 recievers from our conference signed nfl contracts this year

They needed to see their defensive backs diced before UCF comes to town with its Heisman Trophy candidate quarterback next month. They needed to see how the offense stalls when it goes away from tailback Darrell Henderson for too long. They needed a home game in which they were challenged, not playing back-ups after halftime.

The Tigers are eighth nationally in total offense and 10th in scoring offense. Damonte Coxie leads the AAC with 663 receiving yards and Brady White is second in the AAC in passing yards (1,966), touchdowns (17) and quarterback rating.

The problem is Memphis’ passing is putting up the lowest yards per game under Norvell. The Tigers are averaging 256 passing yards this year compared to 304.4 and 335 yards in 2016 and 2017, respectively.

https://twitter.com/C_Austin_Cox/status/1061769828942397440

At Memphis we will be facing a RB that is 2nd in the nation in total rushing and is averaging 9+ yards per carry.

Holy smokes, with our current defense, I have to wonder what is the UH opponent RB’s current record for yards-per-carry? We will more than likely help him to lead the nation in total yards rushing as well as yards-per-carry this year.

[NOTE: Stats remind of former UH RB Chuck Weatherspoon and former Memphis RB DeAngelo Williams.]

1 Like