Opponent Watch 2018 - Memphis

My question is, since we know we don’t have a prayer of stopping their run attack in our normal defensive alignments, do we stack the box, sell out against the run and pray our CBs can shut down their WRs in straight man coverage with safety help over the middle? I’m thinking we have to dedicate our LBs to the run to even have a snowball’s chance of getting some stops. Oh, and our offense will need to score on every single possession.

I’m legitimately concerned that Memphis will hang 70 on us.

1 Like

Unless a lot of guys become healthy quick, we’re screwed.

UH’s defense is definitely trending in that direction w/opponent’s points - USF 36…SMU 45…Temple 59…

Heck, the way it’s going, we may need to score 70+ to beat Tulane this week and then 80+ to beat Memphis.

[NOTE: I don’t have a 2018 UH FB media guide, but I have to wonder what the current UH record is for most points scored against us by opponents in a single season. I have to think that we might break it this year.]

Mentioned it before somewhere. When faced with the real possibility that you simply cannot stop the run in your normal defensive scheme, I think the only option is to sell out in an attempt to stop the run. Hopefully, this forces the other team to throw where the opportunities for mistakes is higher (ie errant passes, drops, miscommunications routes, etc). Hard to make too many mistakes when the plan is blow out the guy in front if you and I’ll hand the ball to Darrell.

After watching the SMU and Temple games, I was reminded of the youtube video “Oh no, we suck again.”

468 in 2003. Currently at 344 for the year so we’re 124 away with at least 3 games to go…possibly 4.

So either an average of 41.3 points allowed per game for 3 games or an average of 31 points allowed per game for 4. Both are within reach at the point.

If we actually end up playing 4 games at this point, I won’t be upset about how many points we’re giving up. This does not, however, mean I don’t want CMD gone after this year.

3 Likes

Correct. We could miraculously win out and CMD would still need to go.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1065435460447678464

He’s probably gone…been three years now and he’s done well. Louisville or Colorado would be great fits for him.

Norvell addressed those reports Tuesday after practice ahead of Saturday’s American Athletic Conference championship game against UCF.

“I think it’s always a compliment when people are saying good things about you, your staff, your football team because of what we’ve been able to accomplish,” Norvell said. “There’s a tremendous commitment here at Memphis and I think more than any words I can say, I think I’ve proved with my actions the commitment I have to this community to what we’re doing.”

Louisville. Watch…

1 Like

They gave $13 million each to Memphis & UCF !.

1 Like