Opponent Watch 2019-20: Memphis

Geez what a load of BS. All the way through the line about the Steve Nash offense.
Of course the only Steve Nash offense is the one where Steve Nash had the ball in his hands.

4 Likes

I have a feeling we are about to witness the biggest “Paper Tiger” in NCAA history
those promises will not be kept and they will be middle of the pact good.

2 Likes

Do these kids know who “Steve Nash” is or was

1 Like

Sounds like scouting reports written straight out of Blue Chips

3 Likes

Memphis has to at least make the sweet 16 this year or this is going to go downhill fast. A tall order.

1 Like

Sounds like what Larry Brown was trying to do at SMU.

Big question is their defense and whether Penny actually coaches these guys. By the way, did they hire a replacement for Mitchell yet?

2 Likes

It sounds a lot like he’s planning a lot of iso ball, with drive and dish. Which to me doesn’t make a ton of sense, for this group. With Wiseman I would think Penny would be coaching NBA style pick and roll a team to death. But that’s me.

3 Likes

NBA concepts vs college zones defenses. Lol

4 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/MOD4three/status/1151222360961421315
“You probably won’t see any old school post ups.”

This is what really stuck out to me. They are going to have a size mismatch basically everywhere nightly & no post ups?

From my Coog-centric view that is a very good thing.

In a perfect world- Memphis is a yearly NCAA team (Helping AAC get to 5 or 6 yearly) but not much else.

4 Likes

I think deep down Penny loves Memphis and will turn them into a powerhouse. I loved that Derrick Rose team. Got to see them destroy the Longhorns in Reliant. I really feel in love with that team after seeing them live. The conference is better when Memphis is great. I wish them nothing but the best.

4 Likes

Wasn’t that one of the many victories that they had to abandon ?

wishing them the best - yes, with obvious exceptions
laughing or rolling eyes at their contrived recruitment-speak - yes

“The @Memphis_MBB offensive will different than any team in college hoops.” - shure, sure. completely different

“Penny does not want to put any limits any dynamic athletes.” -awesome. (tho we will do the same thing with Harris at SG)

“Penny is like the CEO in practice.” - what are the other options? CFO? CIO? CMO?

“Treats staff & players like it’s a partnership.” - wait, I thought he was like a CEO

“Penny & staff want their players to walk into the NBA & understand concepts immediately.” - I bet this is the real struggle for these college basketball players who have been playing organized ball their entire lives. (Or maybe they are referring to the fact that they may have to pay off the refs personally instead of letting the team or NCAA handle it)

“You probably won’t see any old school post ups
 AKA No robots!” - posting up is for robots! Live Free or post-up!

All the NBA ready stuff is so silly, as if all the other NCAA teams are doing nothing to prepare their players for the NBA. Its trying to create a difference where one really doesn’t exist. I’m sure its in everyone’s pitch but they wear it on their sleeve so much you cant hear anything else outof their mouths.

2 Likes

Yep, one of the more meaningless penalties the NCAA imposes. Officially, it didn’t happen. But you know the whole thing with people having eyes and access to media renders the whole thing moot.

If they’re hoping to make a living by driving and dishing, I feel good about the discipline our guys play with. We have two guys who are really good at protecting the rim (Chris Harris and Brison Gresham) and guards who are long and quick enough to rotate and close out on three point shooters. Once again, this Coog team will make opponents work really hard to score.

My opinion of Penny as a coach came when I watched the pregame routine of the Cougars compared to Memphis last season. Houston coaches ran guys through different drills, guys were taking shots where they needed, and everything was planned to keep the guys moving and not standing around.

At the other end, there was a trainer at midcourt, and Memphis players were just messing around, shooting shots like you do before a pickup game, and generally not doing much of anything. At some point, they started dunking and then they stopped and chatted with each other. Some guys were throwing up long distance 3’s at times. There was no organization
like I said above, it was like watching a team that was about to play pickup ball.

By the way, looks like the did replace Sam Mitchell on the bench. Cody Toppert was hired
he was the Director of Player Development for the Phoenix Suns last year and has had some stints coaching in the G League (Including with the RGV Vipers). Not a defensive guy though and never coached in college before.

You probably just don’t know anything about NBA spacing

Also, since basketball is their life and profession in the NBA, it is more usual to just chat on the court. It’s all part off the plan to make them NBA-READY

2 Likes

You must not be aware that “spacing” is not exclusive to the NBA. Those are concepts to all basketball.
Again funny stuff.

His pre game routine is as undisciplined and phony as a former unprepared former Memphis coach.
His talent may create some big wins and make them a tough out, but it usually catches up when a team has to play against really good and well coached teams.

1 Like

Oh I know spacing all right, but I’m completely ignorant to modern NBA spacing

You know, modern like Steve Nash on the Suns

1 Like

Well it’s not a novel concept and I can promise Hardaway isn’t bringing anything new to the college game.

It was sarcasm, but no worries you’ll catch the next one.

1 Like